Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

How can I make my IP look like it's in a Different State? (Tor?)

This is a discussion on How can I make my IP look like it's in a Different State? (Tor?) within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. **Complete mundane, harmless, and legal motivation here. :)** I'd like to set it up so my computer so looks like

Old 09-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
Registered Member

**Complete mundane, harmless, and legal motivation here. :)**

I'd like to set it up so my computer so looks like it's coming from California instead of Florida. Does anyone know how to do this?

I've found numerous online free routing services (like ninjacloak.com or the Tor project). But that's all random. I need my computer to look like it's in a specific *State* in the US.

Alternatively if anyone knows a better place to post this question, I'm game for that as well. I just haven't found any official "Tor" forum anywhere.

Thanks! :)

Old 09-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

According to your TechSupportForum profile details, your IP says you're already posting from LA California, so the proxy you're currently using is doing what you want it to.

watch?v=CBVFpYN0iNo
koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hmm, not sure what that's about because I'm not using a proxy at the moment. And if I wander over to IP Address Locator - What Is My IP Address Location? Find IP Address Search, IP Locator, IP Lookup it reads that I'm in my real location. Again, no proxy enabled.

Thanks for taking an interest in my question though. Still, any thoughts?
Old 09-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

I can send you a screenshot of our IP locator if you'd like to see your location listed as California.

What network restrictions are you trying to bypass that requires you to hide your real IP? Please give as much detail as possible so we can work out the best solution.

watch?v=CBVFpYN0iNo
Old 09-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

Basically I do freelance graphic design and pretty much 90% of my client base comes from Craigslist. Of those clients the vast majority are *not* from my area, I've been getting clients from around the US for about 5 years. Up until a month ago. Now when I post in California (which I've been doing for 5 years) my posts simply don't ever materialize, even though they're active and can be accessed via direct link. But of course they can't be browsed or searched, which does me no good.

Posting in my area works fine. Likewise if I post to the same location that coincides with the random exit note from Tor, the posts also show up.

Basically I want to appear that I'm posting to CL from another area so I can continue to put food in my belly. :)
Old 09-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #6
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

I've recently started using FoxyProxy. It's an easy to use addon for Firefox that lets you select from a list of proxy IPs based on their location. I'm in the UK so I haven't tested for its State-specific accuracy, but you might want to give it a go if you haven't already.

FoxyProxy
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...roxy-standard/

watch?v=CBVFpYN0iNo
Old 09-11-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
Moderator Offline

He is out of Florida.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

TSF reports California, but a quick ip lookup comes back as Florida.
Old 09-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala View Post
I've recently started using FoxyProxy. It's an easy to use addon for Firefox that lets you select from a list of proxy IPs based on their location. I'm in the UK so I haven't tested for its State-specific accuracy, but you might want to give it a go if you haven't already.

FoxyProxy
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...roxy-standard/
FoxyProxy's actually where I originally started, however I had only spent time looking through the free proxy server lists and their speed was really pitiful. Tor does allow you to select exit nodes based on location, however I haven't found anything that gets more local than the *country*. If I continue with Tor I'd hope to fine a way to select a specific State.... instead of randomly trying every US based node until I find one in Cali. :)
Old 09-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #10
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

If you've already tried the free proxies and you're now using Tor, try their forums for advice on selecting State nodes. I'm not sure if it's possible.

Also try contacting Craigslist's tech support to see if they can offer any advice on making your posts more visible in all regions.

As this topic covers aspects related to bypassing network restrictions, we can't go into any more detail due to forum rules.

watch?v=CBVFpYN0iNo
Old 09-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #11
Registered Member

try hidemyass.com if you dont like foxyproxy