Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

Flash playback is incredibly choppy.

This is a discussion on Flash playback is incredibly choppy. within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, For the last few months now I find that streaming videos online can be quite an irritating process.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:36 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys,

For the last few months now I find that streaming videos online can be quite an irritating process. I've been googling the issue for weeks and have not been able to find a goof fix for it. Basically streaming flash videos online can be supper choppy for me and can cause my entire browser to lag up.

When streaming youtube videos it works fine most of the time, unless of course I watch them in HD, which is when it'll most likely start spazzing out on me, and also when I stream videos off blip.tv it's incredibly laggy as well. I've never had this problem before and it only really started after I did a clean re-install of Vista a few months ago. All my drivers are up to date and I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Adobe Flash 10 multiple times.

Any sort of help would be greatly appreciated, here are my PC specs if you need to know them:

Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit (Service Pack 2)
Intel Core2 Duo T5750 @ 2.00GHz
4.0GB RAM
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600

Quicktime video also works flawlessly and my PC games run without a hitch.

Thanks again in advance!
-Paul

Old 03-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
Registered Member

Have you tried flash 10.1 beta? That should fix your problem, as its designed to use the GPU for HD content.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
Registered Member

I just downloaded it.

Regular videos run fine and all as usual, but when it comes to streaming video off blip.tv and HD Youtube videos, it still gets all choppy as before where the audio is fine, but the picture becomes a slideshow from slowdown.

:(
Old 03-03-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
Registered Member

Try this, type about:config into Firefox's address bar, then in the filter box enter browser.sessionstore.interval. The default value is 10000, set the number to 120000 \this would greatly help your performance on a low end machine like yours.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
Registered Member

Please update me if the problem is solved.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
Registered Member

I followed your advice and turned the number up to 120,000. It actually made video playback worse and even my regular YouTube videos were getting a bit choppy so I turned it back to 10,000.

Thanks for the advice though. Is there anything else I can try?
Old 03-05-2010, 06:39 AM   #7
Registered Member

A few things:

Right click a flash video, then click settings and change the local storage to max.

Make sure video acceleration is enabled.

There could also be a conflict so if the above does not work try this

1.Go to the control panel and uninstall Flash Player and Flash ActiveX Control

2.Start INTERNET EXPLORER (It has to be IE), and install flash player from Internet explorer.

3. Close IE and start firefox. Install Flash player from Firefox.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #8
Registered Member

Hey there, I tried what you suggested, but once again, there was no success. One thing I did observe recently thought, is that my when the videos start to get all choppy, and I clear my cache and load them up again, they run fine for a while. It seems my cache fills up faster than it should when viewing flash videos.

Thought I'd share this info in case it makes a difference.

Thanks again for the continued help.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:54 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlink_89 View Post
When streaming youtube videos it works fine most of the time, unless of course I watch them in HD, which is when it'll most likely start spazzing out on me, and also when I stream videos off blip.tv it's incredibly laggy as well. I've never had this problem before and it only really started after I did a clean re-install of Vista a few months ago. All my drivers are up to date and I've tried uninstalling and re-installing Adobe Flash 10 multiple times.

Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 2600
Hi,

I highlighted for you where your problems are.
blip.tv's player is quite buggy and a pain to use, and they stream videos with an insane resolution (like 952*544). Plus, Flash 10.1 doesn't support your GPU in order to have hardware acceleration.

Regards.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:43 AM   #10
Registered Member

Try also installing other browsers like safari or goggle chrome maybe your chopping problems be solved hehehe!
Old 03-12-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teito_klein View Post
Try also installing other browsers like safari or goggle chrome maybe your chopping problems be solved hehehe!
This would not make a difference, Flash is the same for all web browsers.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:06 AM   #12
Registered Member

Lets isolate the problem to see if it is a flash issue.

Please go here to enable HTML 5 for youtube and see if it still gets choppy. YOu will need to use a browser that supports it.

http://www.youtube.com/html5
Old 03-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #13
Registered Member

YouTube videos were never really an issue with me unless I wanted to watch them in HD on Full screen. Regular HD was fine, but the second I full screen'd it my computer became unresponsive and this never happened to me before.

I joined the HTML 5 beta using Chrome and the HD video playback was done a lot better. It paused here and there but that was because the video was loading.

I'm willing to accept the possibility that this problem is not due to Flash alone since it only started up after I performed a clean re-install of Vista 64-Bit on my system in January.