Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

Firefox won't connect, but internet connection is fine

This is a discussion on Firefox won't connect, but internet connection is fine within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Firefox and IE won't connect to the internet or load any of the pages. The internet connection is fine. I

Closed Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
Registered Member

Mistake

Firefox and IE won't connect to the internet or load any of the pages. The internet connection is fine. I thought it was the router/wireless at home...I took it to work and it connected to the wireless here. It was fine...I just can't get my browsers to load. I have vista and the latest version of firefox and IE

I've checked:
1.)Anti-Virus/Malware software - Scanned, and disabled temporarily to see if this was the cause: It was not.
2.) Router/Wireless - Says connected. I've pinged a few addresses and they're all responding
3.) Firefox Setting: It's directly connected to the internet; no manual proxy setting or anything
4.) IE Setting: Ditto
5.) An IPConfig run shows that things are working fine, connection wise...I wonder if I missed something or screwed up the settings somewhere.
6.) Re-installed Firefox and IE: Nothing changed

HELP!!!!!!!!

Old 03-27-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
Registered Member

Oh...and Skype works.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Registered Member

Location: Right between the two tallest peeks of The Appalachian Mtns. western NC

My System

Send a message via AIM to pittzu Send a message via Yahoo to pittzu

In the firefox options menu, is it set to automatically detect settings? If so try entering them manually. If that doesn't work, set it back to auto, and check your firewall config. I am not as familiar with vista as I would like to be, because it pissed me off before I could get friendly with it. I recommend zonealarm or sygate free editions and disabling windows firewall.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:38 AM   #4
Registered Member

I've tinkered around with Windows Firewall and anti-virus software, and also adware. I did try manual settings but that didn't work.

I sort of solved the problem by undoing the firefox update through
"restoring" my computer or undoing everything up until that update. Another problem is that iTunes and IE connections don't work, these have also been updated but I can't uninstall/"restore" these. My only worry is that these connection problems are related to why firefox didn't work with the update.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:30 PM   #5
Registered Member

Location: Right between the two tallest peeks of The Appalachian Mtns. western NC

My System

Some sites don't work unless you are using ie. firefox has an addon that lets you open an ie tab, find it here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419
Old 04-11-2008, 04:27 AM   #6
Registered Member

I have this same problem, though I'm on XP. I really don't know what to do.
How did you go back and undo the firefox update? I've reinstalled firefox multiple times to no avail and internet explorer has only recently packed in due to a windows update the other day.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:50 AM   #7
Registered Member

My System

If you think that the update has caused it, try creating a new profile. Read this sticky post by martt, http://www.techsupportforum.com/f131/the-importance-of-profiles-124715.html
Old 04-18-2008, 05:22 AM   #8
Registered Member

Got the exact same problem which occurred randomly 3-7 days ago. Getting full connection to my other clients that's having use of my internet (MSN for example). Also pinged the sites that aren't working to get into, also this is the same thing with IE as the thread starter mentioned. Take for example Google, not able to search. Problem is that it just says
in my Status Bar :

"Waiting for www.google.com ..." , and this could loop forever and ever and nothing happens at all...

PS: First post.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #9
Registered Member

I've had this problem two times.
In my case it was an uninstalled firewall still running somehow.
First time i don't remember which one but i know it was exactly as if an application asked for internet access but since it never could show the popup it never got a response and just let the app wait for ever.

Last time it was eset not being uninstalled properly.
As if the driver, core is left but no gui.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #10
Registered Member

Are you connected through a router? If so sometimes the router gets bogged down with too much info, and needs to be reset, especially if it's a cheap router. To reset it, turn off your computer, unplug your router, and unplug your modem. This does not have to be in any particular order. Now, in this order, plug your router in. Wait for it to boot fully. Plug your modem in. Wait for it to boot fully. Then finally, boot your computer. This works for me every time.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:16 AM   #11
Registered Member

Im using XP sp3 I'm having the same problem yet my connection simply times out after 15 seconds. I did not install latest firefox nor with update...I tryed resetting my connection and running it through windows but it still does it .. It only happens from 5PM to 10PM then it comes back on
Old 04-12-2010, 10:40 AM   #12
Registered Member

im having the same problem. i cant use firefox only internet explorer. i already upgraded and that worked for like 2 weeks but now i cant even upgraded it because it says that firefox is open which is not...or if it is i cant see it. is there other ways i can go on the internet other than firefox or explorer??
Old 04-18-2010, 03:33 PM   #13
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

count me in on this category as well . . .(sort of . .??) When I initially attempt to start Firefox3.6 it appears to go thru the initial paces of startup but it ends up doing a quick-FLASH of what appears to be the Download manager and nothing appears after that. I am currently running XP SP3. When I go to my task manager and end the process of firefox and then restart, the application starts successfully by taking me to my ISP default web page and from that point forward I have no more problems with using the product.

As for IE7, I have no noticeable problems other than a slow startup.

If someone has a useful solution, please help.

TomJ
Old 04-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
Registered Member

Hi!
Im a new user with this same problem.

Its randomly started yesterday and its been ok for a while till this evening!
I have sygate personal firewall.

My current "workaround" is to right click on your connection on the taskbar and "repair" it..seems to work for me for a while!
I can access my router on 192.168.0.1 when it wont connect to websites so very confusing...

I have NO idea why this does this as all other apps stay connected fine so beats me...? Possibly spyware but all detected and nothings there!!!

Anyway hope we can come up with a solution!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #15
Registered Member

I'm currently dealing with this problem on one of my systems. I have found that if I enter the IP address of the site I want to view I can get there. However it's as if I'm using an old version of IE or Firefox.

I do know my problem is the result of a Virus on the system. Norton's wouldn't clean it so I ended up using Trinity Rescue Kit. That got rid of the virus but left the system in an almost unusuable state. It's slow and takes forever to get anything to open. It's almost as if I'm in compatibility mode.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:36 AM   #16
Gew
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

Friend of mine just got struck by this problem.
Any news, yet solutions? Everything of interest.

Regards~
Old 12-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #17
Registered Member

I had this same problem. Turns out that the firewall for McAfee was denying firefox and IE access. I restored the defaults to McAfee's firewall. under the firewall options, and now firefox and IE work. Hope this helps.