About two days ago, I went to sleep letting my computer finish an update to Windows Media Player 11. The next morning I found that my browsers no longer will finish loading any form of web page.
Yesterday I completed a virus scan to have found a trojan, but I'm no longer sure how much damage it could have caused, and I'm not even sure if the the trojan is the culprit. Here's all that I know:
- I'm running Windows XP Home, SP3
- Instant Messengers, like AIM, function properly.
- Firefox opens normally, begins to load the Google front page, and stops halfway through the communication process (IE just locks and crashes).
- Upon reboot, many of the programs checked on my startup list inside msconfig will not start up after all, among those being AIM, my wireless utility program, my anti-virus, and others.
- I've taken a look at my services but without knowing what was already on and already off, that was a dead end.
- my ex, and current roomate, had the same kind of behavior once, and the next day, the problem had went away. I don't think this is that simple.
- The two most current events have been installing, and thusly uninstalling WMP 11, and the fact that I cancelled my home phone line, who also was my past ISP, but I should have been on a completely different ISP.
I'm trying every option i can without having to install XP again. Once again, the behavior didn't begin until the computer had an automatic restart after installing WMP 11. Uninstalling hasn't helped.
There are some options I want to try, but I would like to have as much information and insight before I start.