Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

Firefox pages won't load after several hours

This is a discussion on Firefox pages won't load after several hours within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My problem is that Firefox will work fine for several hours and then it starts misbehaving. Not only facebook won't

Old 02-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

My problem is that Firefox will work fine for several hours and then it starts misbehaving. Not only facebook won't load and display properly, but Twitter.com and Amazon.com also stop working.

I am on an Asus Eee netbook that only has 1 gb of memory, but when I first started using this netbook in December I had no problems.

I have:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2) Gecko/20100115 Firefox/3.6 GTB6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Firefox is using 206K
Evernot is using 34k

There are a total of 62 processes running

The only way I can get back into normal operation is to reboot.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hi, welcome to TSF

You'll probably find that Firefox is actually using 206,000K (approx 200MB, 20% of your total RAM).

Reboot the computer, then hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the Task Manager and click the Performance tab at the top. Make a note of the Total Physical Memory and Total Commit Charge when you first turn the computer on, and again when Firefox starts misbehaving. Post back with both sets of figures.

How many Firefox addons are running?

Have you tried clearing the cache? Tools > Clear Recent History, click the Details button, select 'Browsing & Download History' and 'Cache', then click the Clear Now button.

I've also been using Firefox on a 1GB Asus Eee XP netbook since December, but haven't had any problems with it so far (usually 5-10 tabs open). To get round the 1GB RAM restriction, I've installed a 4GB SD card into the slot on the right-hand side of the keyboard, and installed eBoostr which acts like ReadyBoost that is found in Vista and Windows 7. Programs start and run much quicker now. Might be worth looking into if you find 1GB RAM is going to be a problem when multitasking or browsing with several Firefox tabs open.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
Registered Member

I have tried disabling all the addons, in fact running in safe mode. Makes no difference. I made sure I had the latest Java runtime installed. Also cleaned the cache. I do run Evernote and have tried not running it because it can chew up cpu cycles also. I have the latest Firefox version.

Interesting you mentioned the USB memory device because I have a SanDisk 4gb that I keep some files I want to be portable on. Plenty of room on this device, but I never heard of eBoostr (Readyboost). I'll have to look at that. Are you saying the Netbook can actually use this as a supplement to main memory?

I live in Mexico right now or I would order the 2gb memory chip. It's a hassle having stuff shipped here and I doubt I would be lucky enough to find the right memory here.
Apparently, the Netbook is fussy about this device.

I'll monitor RAM use and get back to you. Thanks for all the info