Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

Firefox only loads blank pages.

This is a discussion on Firefox only loads blank pages. within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am having the EXACT same problem! recently I downloaded a file but it seemed to be some sort of

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 02:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

I am having the EXACT same problem!

recently I downloaded a file but it seemed to be some sort of virus. no immediate effects showed so I assumed it just didn't work, however it has messed up firefox.

I have tried

reinstalling (including deleting all profiles and registry entries)

system restoring didn't work because it is too far back.

I've done spyware scans and virus scans

I've done a scan with a few reg clearners

I've checked my Hosts file and that is correct

internet explorer and all other programs that access the internet work as usual.

When trying to access a page, for example clicking 'home', my firewall shows NO network activity in firefox at all - ie it isn't even trying to access the internet.

It opens html files on my local machine, however it just doesn't open internet pages.

It says 'done' but the page is just blank, no error message, no nothing.

PLEASE help and please if anyone has the answer to this please tell me!

Old 12-17-2007, 10:56 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via MSN to carsey

I have moved your post to a new thread to avoid confusion.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
Security Team
Analyst

Try this, while FireFox is open click Tools > options. In the new window that appears click on Network then click the advanced tab. Click the Settings button. Is the radio button marked for Direct Connection to the internet? If not click it then OK.

Let us know if this helps.

“Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most” - Mark Twain
Old 12-31-2007, 05:41 AM   #4
Registered Member

I've just noticed this thread. I have the same problem and I have checked the settings as suggested here and mine is a direct connection to the internet?
Old 01-03-2008, 11:19 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to moviscop

Create a new profile and your problems should be solved.

To do so close firefox completely and launch the profile manager that should be under firefox in your program list.

Delete the old, create a new one and it should work fine.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Registered Member

Help!

I do have the same problem: firefox only gives blank pages while claiming to be ready.Windows explorer always tells me that "webpage cannot be found". The internet connection seems to be ok (ping works). I already checked that firefox has a direct connection to the internet. I cannot find the profile manage but i doubt that this will solve the problem as the same problem occurs to windows explorer. Thanks a lot in advance! It is a new windows vista laptop...

Hendrik
Old 12-21-2008, 04:16 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark76 View Post
Try this, while FireFox is open click Tools > options. In the new window that appears click on Network then click the advanced tab. Click the Settings button. Is the radio button marked for Direct Connection to the internet? If not click it then OK.

Let us know if this helps.
I actually to not have the direct connection option in my version of Firefox. When I click on network it opens selections for proxy settings. My version is 3.0.5 which is the latest version. If anyone can offer suggestions I would appreciate it.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:21 AM   #8
Windows Tech Team

OS: Windows 7 Pro, Fedora-20, Windows 10 Tech Review. Work systems - W2K, XP, Win7, RHEL, Solaris.

My System

Have you tried flushing your DNS cache, open a cmd prompt, Start > Run > cmd.exe
type ipconfig /flushdns see if that gets you loading webpages.

Also to start Firefox profile manager go to Start > Run > then enter firefox.exe -ProfileManager
Old 12-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Send a message via MSN to carsey

Make sure there are no proxy settings stored in the options.

Tools > options > Advanced > Network Tab > Settings > Make sure 'No Proxy' is ticked.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
Registered Member

Edit: The problem described in this post has been solved! The solution is in my next post!

I have tried all the suggestions in this thread and am having the exact same problem.

What I've tried:
- Uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox from a fresh download
- Flush DNS cache (It said flushed successfully)
- Deleted and remade my Firefox profile
- Checked for "Connect directly to the internet" I don't have that option, either, but no proxy settings are enabled and "No Proxy" is set.
- I tried uninstalling all plugins/extensions/etc. If uninstall wasn't an option, I disabled it.
- I cleared my entire cache/history/website preferences (every single checkbox).
- I tried firefox in safe mode.

The exact problem:
Whatever url I type in, the Firefox tab stays blank and is labeled "(Untitled)" at the top. I have tried a whole bunch of sites, but none of them are working.

On the same day this problem started (not sure as to how closely it was timed) I got a random "update your plugins" window... but when I hit update, no plugins were updated. It was strange. I am now wondering whether that little box was an impostor containing some type of browser-destroying payload.

Additional Information:
Firefox Version 3.6.3
Internet Explorer is working perfectly

----------------------------------------------------

My Solution:

I don't know how the heck this happened, because I am the only one who has even been in this apartment (to my knowledge...) within the timeframe relevant to this problem and somehow firefox got blocked on my NVIDIA firewall! It wasn't blocked in the Windows XP firewall, just NVIDIA. I do recall blocking a program within the last few days that I didn't recognize, but if it had appeared to have anything to do with Mozilla, I probably would have figured that out... And the name that Firefox was blocked under in my firewall was clearly marked "Mozilla Firefox... firefox.exe"

I don't know how that happened. O.O

But deleting the firewall block fixed it and now Firefox works again!

----------------------------------------------------

I remember something more now... I remember that I had gotten a message from my firewall saying that Firefox wanted to change it's risk level. I denied that action because I did not have the time to look into why it was trying to change its risk level. Perhaps denying the risk level change was synonymous with blocking the whole entire program on this firewall...