Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

Firefox not responding [RESOLVED]

This is a discussion on Firefox not responding [RESOLVED] within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just downloaded Firefox 2.0. When I tried to start it, I got the following error message, "Firefox is already

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

I just downloaded Firefox 2.0. When I tried to start it, I got the following error message, "Firefox is already running, but is not responding. To open a new window, you must first close the existing Firefox process, or restart your system." I have looked in the Task Manager and can't find anything running. I have restarted my computer. I have uninstalled Firefox, reinstalled and restarted my computer. I always get the same error message. I would appreciate any help any of you can give.

Thanks

Lionel

Old 05-20-2007, 01:41 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to keithy397

Hi Liowal & welcome.

Did you look in the Processes tab (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) of the Task Manager for the firefox.exe process? It has been known for more than one process to run.

If you are running more than one version of Firefox, ie Minefield or Bon Echo also, they all use the same firefox.exe process, that's why it needs to be closed (End Task) before restarting.

Having said that, it does sound like you may have problem(s) with your profile, but we'll go there when/if you get re-started.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for responding. Tech support at Mozilla told me about the Task Manager and to check if anything was running. I went through the list but couldn't find anything. I think you may be right about the Profile. Do you have any suggestions

Thanks

Lionel
Old 05-20-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
Registered Member

I fixed it and I just wanted to share with you how. Because you mentioned Profile I went in to delete everything in Programs for Mozilla Firefox. When I went into Documents and Settings\Lionel\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ I found there was a registry file from 7/9/2005. I deleted everything here and uninstalled Firefox, downloaded it again and everything works fine. Thanks for the tip on Profiles. Have a great week.

Lionel
Old 05-20-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to keithy397

Cool!