Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

Firefox Not responding...

This is a discussion on Firefox Not responding... within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Last Friday, for no apparent reason, Firefox stopped working.. When I double click on the FF icon (shortcut, and EXE),

Old 04-22-2007, 08:07 AM   #1
-d-
Registered Member

My System

Last Friday, for no apparent reason, Firefox stopped working..

When I double click on the FF icon (shortcut, and EXE), Firefox will open up as usual, and the hour glass icon appears. The website doesn't load (google), and after about 5 minutes, it just stops responding. I've tried re-installing, deleting the entire folder and THEN re-installing.. but those aren't working. I have no idea why it would randomly stop working, since I'm the only one using this computer and I regularly do virus-spyware scans that will usually turn up nothing..

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:03 PM   #2
Roaming To Help

Hi

Can you outline which Firefox version you have and which extensions and themes you have installed please.

Also, can you surf the net through any other browser? Just to be sure it's not your net connection that's bad.

Open Firefox (Safe Mode) through the Start Menu. See how that goes.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
-d-
Registered Member

My System

I am currently using Internet Explorer 7 on the same computer, which works perfectly fine. I can even play games online, so I'm sure it's not an Internet problem.

I uninstalled Firefox last night, and deleted the directory, therefore there are no special themes/plugins installed; just the defaults.

I downloaded the latest version from firefox.com --> 2.0.0.3

Tried re-installing twice with no luck..

Windows XP SP2. My rig is below my name..
Old 04-22-2007, 03:24 PM   #4
Roaming To Help

Which exact directories did you delete?

What happens when you do what I asked above?

The program folder and profile folder are different BTW. The profile folder is where your user specific details and customizations are stored.
Old 04-22-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
-d-
Registered Member

My System

When I run Safe-mode, the exact same thing happens (it doesn't load webpage, and then "stops responding")

I deleted the "Mozilla Firefox" directory (C:/programs/mozilla firefox), after uninstalling Firefox.

Thanks..

Nice rig btw :o
Old 04-22-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
Roaming To Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by -d- View Post
When I run Safe-mode, the exact same thing happens (it doesn't load webpage, and then "stops responding")

I deleted the "Mozilla Firefox" directory (C:/programs/mozilla firefox), after uninstalling Firefox.
I see. Now that's the program directory not where the profile is.

For the profile navigate to: C:\Documents and Settings\[Windows user account]\Application Data\ and look for "Mozilla". Delete that directory folder and then start Firefox up again.
(note: you will lose all info such as bookmarks/addons/customization of previous Firefox you had).

See what you get now.
Quote:
Nice rig btw :o
Thanks. It seems to run OK.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:54 PM   #7
-d-
Registered Member

My System

Thanks! That worked!

lol I was actually looking for that folder a while ago, but I formatted this week, and windows hides that folder by default :P

Typing again on Firefox, proudly :)
Old 04-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #8
Roaming To Help

Glad it worked.

You're welcome.