Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

firefox new version won't install

This is a discussion on firefox new version won't install within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I tried installing the new firefox 7.0 (or anything after3.6) and I keep getting this: What gives? any help

Old 11-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, I tried installing the new firefox 7.0 (or anything after3.6) and I keep getting this:

What gives? any help would be appreciated. I am running vista.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:49 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Your first screenshot shows a blank entry for the password, and your second screenshot says the login failure could be due to 'blank passwords not allowed'. Enter your Windows admin pasword.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:38 AM   #3
Registered Member

That's part of the problem...I don't use a password at any point when I log on windows or for anything. I don't understand why it is coming up.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:55 AM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

The 'Current User' option should work instead of Administrator.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:24 AM   #5
Registered Member

It won't ....I tried.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Go into Control panel, Users, Change User Account Control Settings and pull the lever all the way down to "never notify" then "ok" to close and reboot and try to install again. I think Ms is playing "dirty pool" here in the "browser wars".

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
Registered Member

I tried, but it isn't setup the way you described. I can't find "Change User Account Control Settings". I'm running vista. Each tab in the control panel user accounts I tried an I couldn't find it anywhere. I went online to microsoft and found the directions below it didn't work because it wouldn't accept "secpol.msc" in the run command. This is frustrating!

To disable UAC from prompting for credentials to install applications
Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Run, type secpol.msc in the Open text box, and then click OK.

From the Local Security Settings console tree, click Local Policies, and then click Security Options.

Scroll down and double-click User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation.

Select the Disabled option, and then click OK.

Close the Local Security Settings window.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

In Control panel, Users on the left is "Turn User Account Control on or off". Click it and uncheck "use user account control...etc" then OK. Also a good idea to go into Security center and on the left choose "change the way Security enter notifies me....) and then "Do not notify me and don't display the icon" so you won't have to deal with popups about that all the time. Then reboot.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
Registered Member

tried it and it wasn't checked. I'm at a loss. If you have anymore suggestions...
I even tried giving myself a password and used on that screen but it still did nothing.