Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

Firefox Connection Interrupted

This is a discussion on Firefox Connection Interrupted within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I had the same problem, After reading the link wmorri gave us, I did the following: I went to firefox-->tools-->options-->advanced-->Netword-->Settings:

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 03:46 AM   #21
Registered Member

I had the same problem, After reading the link wmorri gave us, I did the following:
I went to firefox-->tools-->options-->advanced-->Netword-->Settings:
there, I had the "No proxy" enabled, and changed it to "Auto-detect proxy settings for his network" and it started working again.
Hope it helps

Old 02-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #22
Registered Member

Having the same problem. Showed up 4 days ago. Clicked on a link from a google search and got the error message. Went away, so far, on my side but on my wife's side she now gets the message while trying to go onto her staff website. I get it on my side too now for just that web site. Tried it on IE and same thing happened on both sides. IE network connection diagnostic tool says nothing is wrong.
Running AVG, Win XP, office 03. Tried doing a system restore to Jan 13 and problem still exists. Just got a pop up for firefox update to 3.06.....maybe it will cure it.
I am bamboozled.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:28 PM   #23
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggbygosu View Post
I had the same problem, After reading the link wmorri gave us, I did the following:
I went to firefox-->tools-->options-->advanced-->Netword-->Settings:
there, I had the "No proxy" enabled, and changed it to "Auto-detect proxy settings for his network" and it started working again.
Hope it helps
I had the same problem as everyone else here, and tried EVERYTHING to no avail. Then I came across the above and it worked for me!! Thanks a ton!
Old 02-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #24
Registered Member

I just had a similar problem where I couldn't access my bank's website or Microsoft from my wife's laptop, but my laptop worked fine. I tried connecting directly to to wireless router via cable, and then directly to the DSL modem, but no good. Many virus and spyware scans, but nothing. I finally wiped her entire hard drive, reformatted, and reinstalled XP, but the problem remained. Finally, I reset the DSL modem, and everything works again!!! It's just amazing that something in that stupid little modem could be so insidious and cause me to waste so much time. I suppose I should call DLink and give them a piece of my mind...

So next time you can't access or load a website, try resetting your modem first! It is quick and painless compared to all this other crap.
-rich
Old 02-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #25
Registered Member

Cool

I had the same issue "Connection Interrupted" for around a week.
Finally i found the root of the trouble.
It caused by GOOGLE GEARS installed in my machine.
After uninstalled it, everything work fine now.

I created new profile for my FireFox (run --> firefox -p).

Check whether you have Google Gear installed in your computer...
If yes... remove it...
Old 03-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #26
Registered Member

Ha, I have had the same problem as people of the last 10 or so comments. I tried just about everything that was talked about here, and tinkled around on my own for a couple hours changing proxy and other settings. Then I read Rich 54's genius post, reset my modem, and to my surprise my browsers magically work. So simple- too simple. But it worked, and I strongly recommend you all that are still experiencing the problem reset/restart your modem.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #27
Registered Member

Sorry all, I spoke too soon. Firefox just bugged out on me again. IE still doesn't work also. The only browser I found that seems to be working fine is aol, strangely enough. I did however notice something interesting. As someone posted close to the beginning of this forum, they can only use their gmail. This is true with me as well, but I think I found the trend. The only websites that I can access normally with the absence of an error message are secure sites- https:// rather than http://.

The error message is:
Connection Interrupted
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading
The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again later.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this "error?" Aol is becoming a hassle.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #28
Registered Member

this maybe too late, but i'm actually experiencing that thing in my laptop, i'm using my sisters' laptop, and internet here just work fine, i remember one thing, i downloaded uniblue driver scanner, and then tried to run it, there are softwares in my computer that are out of date, so when i tried the driver scanner, it says there are new updates, so i installed it, then when i restart my computer, i can connect to YM chat but not in firefox and IE. then i tried to fix my network connection, i'm trying to enable my broadcom WLAN connection, but it says driver was corrupted or missing, then i downloaded some drivers, but finally, the i reinstalled it...but still the internet is not working... and my wireless and even wired connection has very poor strength.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #29
Registered Member

and worst thing, i can't turn on my system restore. i hope we can fix this problem, coz it gives me headache
Old 03-25-2009, 08:56 AM   #30
Registered Member

I had exactly the same problem, but I fixed it.

It happened after I installed "Windows Essentials" on my XP (it appeared as 'high-priority' installation). After I removed it (I only left MSN Messenger) the problem was fixed. You may want to either remove it completely or remove it from Control Panel one by one to determine which application caused the problem.

Tomasz
Old 04-09-2009, 05:56 AM   #31
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agusbagus View Post
I had the same issue "Connection Interrupted" for around a week.
Finally i found the root of the trouble.
It caused by GOOGLE GEARS installed in my machine.
After uninstalled it, everything work fine now.

I created new profile for my FireFox (run --> firefox -p).

Check whether you have Google Gear installed in your computer...
If yes... remove it...
This worked for me, however, you don't need to uninstall it.

On FF go to tools -> add-ons-> look for Gears and hit disable -> Restart FF

I typed in the url that kept timing out and it loaded straight away no problem.

Google Gears affects javascripts on web pages so I wonder if there is a bug with that feature on Gears.

Edit: I think the problems lie with FF3, it's a shame becasue as a browser I love firefox but I've found FF3 to be extremly buggy.

Good luck to everyone as this seems to be a massive problem.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #32
Registered Member

You Might Consider Reading the Following article it you cannot open the security related web pages.
Even i Suffered from the same problem for about 6 months..
here is the fix :
http://pcrevolutions.blogspot.com/20...yed-error.html
Old 08-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #33
Registered Member

I have been having a problem with "Firefox Connection Interrupted" while using "mail2web.com" site. Eventually I concluded that this problem started after I downloaded a "dictionary" site. I tried a zillion ways to eliminate the problem & then solved it by
1. Open Mozilla Firefox site
2. click on "tools"
3. click on "Add- ons,
4. On the next screen click on "extensions".
Now on this screen I found the problem extension that was loaded during the dictionary download. I clicked on that extension & found that there was an icon to "uninstall" the problem "Add-on". There was even an icon that allowed me to restart Firefox. After the restart, everything is loading as it has been for years. At this point the only item shown on my "extensions" page is "Java Quick Starter".
Additional Info.
My problem started when I did a search for "Dictionary". When I clicked on the very first line under "Search Results", which was "Online Dictionary" I was directed to download "Alot Dictionary" which resulted in a new toolbar on my screen which I did not want. Items 1. thru 4. above outline how I got rid of this "problem site" with my Windows XP
Old 08-03-2009, 11:24 AM   #34
Registered Member

this is driving me crazy and i have the same issue and NONE of the suggestions above resolve it.

i can only access secure web pages, ftp and IM....cant access "regular" web pages, email, updates, or access the router etc....ALL the other pcs on the network hit everything fine (so resetting the router and modem isnt the resolution).

ff gets:

Connection Interrupted
The connection to the server was reset while the pae was loading.
The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

IE gets cant connect.

i can ping everywhere with no problem.

host file looks fine....scans say the vista machine is clean....dont have any of the above mentioned add ons...i am stumped and dont want to rebuild this box...

anyone have any other ideas?
Old 08-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #35
Registered Member

I posted the same problem months ago on this forum. In May, I finally restored the entire computer- and since then I haven't had a problem. I am guessing that the problem rests with some form of malicious code somewhere on your machine, because my computer was infested with it! I don't know what spyware/virus removal software you use, but if Ad-Aware doesn't fix the problem, then I would suggest restoring your pc. I guess you're guaranteed workability if you wipe your computer clean and start all over again, right? Just remember to back up user's documents.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:19 PM   #36
Registered Member

I had the same problem of Firefox giving the aforementioned error problem. I also noticed that web pages would load slower than normal and some of the graphics would not always load. And the error message was intermittent.

After reading and doing some of the suggested fixes without getting rid of the problem. I think in my case, rebooting the modem or even the router may have solved it but I did not have access to either as it was a public network.

Thinking maybe the browser was just timing out to early, going into the newly learned about:config bit on Firefox (you guys did help me after all). I changed the setting: network.http.keep-alive.timeout from 300 to 600 and it solved the error problem although the pages still loaded slowly.

When I got home and connected to my own network, the pages loaded normally. Now that I am back on that public network, there is not a problem. I think either the offending device was rebooted or there was just too much load on the network. I decided to join and post my fix in the hopes that it will help someone else in the future.

Thanx for all the help. :)
Old 10-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #37
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

Hi, I had the same problem. I can't open several sites like http://digg.com/ and my own website. Currently I have two ISPs one of these works fine. My advice is to contact your internet service provider.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:18 PM   #38
Registered Member

I know this is a little late... but check the 'hosts' file.....
In XP Windows\system32\drivers\etc... if you are worried about effect of changes... rename it first to hosts.old, then edit with notepad... should look like this...

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

I found the problem was system wide, and browser independent.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #39
Registered Member

If you have this problem with AVG you may also have the AVG link scanner, if you have the link scanner on that is what i find to be the problem with most computers i come across with this try turn your link scanner off and if you have Firefox replace it with the WOT add on. I hope this helps email me if i wasnt clear enough and i shall try elaborate.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:17 AM   #40
Registered Member

Idea

SOLUTION: A FRESH FULLY-FUNCTIONAL FIREFOX PROFILE

Seems like the 'Connection Interrupted' problem can have many causes. »
Many will limit their havoc to the FF Profile in which they originally arose:

Quote:
"If you are having a problem with Firefox then sometimes, rather than trying to find and fix the exact cause of the problem, it is easier just to make a new Firefox profile and copy your most important data over to it. Making a new Firefox profile and then copying over certain files gives you a fresh start while retaining your important personal data.
Note: Because your preferences and extensions are often the causes of problems, this article does not explain how to copy these between profiles. Therefore, if you follow the steps in this article, you will have to reinstall your extensions and reconfigure your Firefox preferences afterward."

~ Firefox Support > Knowledge Base > Recovering important data from an old profile
» http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...an+old+profile
So here's how I fixed my 'Connection Interrupted' problem, on the basis of the sterling advice above.

1. Get familiar with the FF Profile Manager:

• Firefox Support > Knowledge Base > Managing profiles
» http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Managing+profiles

2. Create a new Profile using Profile Manager, called say 'Tim-Jones' for this worked example.

3. Copy everything useful (inc. bookmarks, search engines, passwords, etc) – except preferences and extensions – from the faulty 'default' Profile to the new 'Tim-Jones' Profile:
• Firefox Support > Knowledge Base > Recovering important data from an old profile
» http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/...an+old+profile

4. Er...

5. That's it – continue using FF via the new, fully functional, 'Tim-Jones' Profile.

You may want to re-tweek your preferences and try re-installing your extensions, one-by-one, and check after each fresh extension installation that that the site(s) that were giving the 'Connection Interrupted' problem in the old faulty 'default' Profile are still working fine in the new 'Tim-Jones' Profile.

Hope this helps some of you back to full FF health!