Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefox 53.0.2 Freezes

8K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  tomar82403 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have been experiencing this almost daily now. Firefox essentially freezes when I open a new tab. After the freeze, the computer freezes and I cannot even move the mouse. I Try to open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) but that window will not come up as well. I have to manually shut off the machine and bring it back up. Any reason why this maybe hapening? There are no errors what so ever. When the freeze happens, Firefox will show not responding.

Here is some info on my browser:
Firefox 53.0.2 (32-bit)

Hopefully this has happened to someone and we can fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

#9 ·
I am also running Win7 but the 64 bit version along with Firefox (updated) which I note in task manager is running as a 32 bit version ... and was having serious problems with Firefox slowing down, stopping, sitting there for long periods apparently inactive, I would switch to another tab where only part of the page would load / show and even sometimes would start to load black areas as though it knew something should be there but wasn't able to understand what it was. Sometimes I would have to open task manager (which would open) and select End Process Tree which would eventually shut down .. trying to close Firefox from the shutdown button on the firefox menu just didn't do anything!
A few things I should mention here ..

1. My PC is usually up & running even if I am not present, so it runs for hours at a time.. and most of the time it would stall on me after I had been absent for some time ..
2. Most of the time I have several windows open with many tabs in each window

3. I use Facebook a lot to keep in contact with my cycling buddies and other friends & family. It's usually when I go out cycling that the PC gets turned off until I return.

4. Because I use Facebook I had installed Facebook Purity to try and limit my involvement with Facebook, games, adverts and fake news sites.

5. Because I like to listen to music whilst I am working I also run ad-blocker to jump over YouTube adverts, I have no spare cash so I really am not up to having stupid irrelevant adverts interrupting my thoughts every so often,

Currently I am not getting any more crashes in Firefox .. I disabled the ad-blocker and Facebook Purity .. and there are now thousands of adverts invading my PC from Yahoo (where I have a mail account) and Facebook. basically I think my PC was being overwhelmed by the adverts that were coming in and the combination of antivirus, ad-blocker and Facebook Purity trying to keep my PC clean of all this crud eventually meant that they conflicted with each other .. until, after several hours working together, the one didn't allow the other to work .. All the problems I was having were Internet related .. since even if Firefox had crashed / stalled or Frozen .. I could work happily on my PC doing all my normal stuff, browsing & editing Photo's, listening to music either from mp3's or from my CD's, even watching the occasional movie on DVD or from my hard disk.

#13 ·
I did the upgrade before I disabled my troublesome add-ons .. can't say that I am really seeing any extra speed though .. I suspect that the Internet is now so overloaded with advertising that it will put the spammers out of business .. they won't have any bandwidth left to use !! :laugh:

#15 ·
I had the similar problem and now it seems to be gone. I had tried it all from this thread - but I had an external hard drive connected (which seemed to be working fine) but (simply for the fact I had tried everything else) I changed out the USB cord and I also updated BIOS. Did the trick for me and no freezes for over a week now!

#17 ·
You would think, right? I actually performed the BIOS update and went the day without a "freeze" - but it did freeze up one more time. That's when, in a complete out of hand rage, I pulled the wire and replaced it with a new braided USB. I still haven't had it freeze up since... So, I think it wasn't Firefox - but the Computer that didn't like the older cord. The older USB wasn't a gold connector however it seemed tight to fit on/into both devices. It really makes no sense and you are absolutely correct in questioning... but so far - all is good here. My PC is the HP EliteDesk 705 G3 running Win 7 Pro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.