Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefox 4.0.1 launches multiple windows at startup

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  michellecarter 
#1 ·
When I launch Firefox, my last session loads up fine, no matter how many tabs I had open the last time I closed it. But then, it starts loading multiple blank windows. It started with 10-20, then 30+, but the last few days it has launched 62 additional windows, all blank.

I didn't have this problem until upgrading to Firefox 4.

I have not added any additional add-ons since upgrading.

I am running Vista on an Acer laptop.

I looked for an existing thread for this problem, but none of the ones I found addressed the same exact problem I am having.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

#3 ·
Go into the Profile folder and delete any sessionstore files you find.
That will include sessionstore.js, sessionstore.bak, and any others that have numbers in the name such as sesionstore(1).js or .bak.
Be aware you will lose any sessions you have saved, but it should correct the problem and save future sessions without popping open blanks.

#7 ·
Thank you for the reply. Yeah, I had seen those instructions on another site, and tried them before posting this thread. It didn't work. But I did clear out some add-ons that do not work with Firefox 4, and today it only opened two blank windows.

Progress!

#9 ·
I had the same problem too, and it was getting more and more out of control--I just uninstalled Firefox 4 last night, which I hated doing since it's insanely fast. In addition to the problem of multiple blank windows opening, it got to where I wasn't even getting a main window with toolbars and bookmarks--just the blank windows. I tried all the solutions being suggested in forums to no avail. Hope there's a fix in sight.

#10 ·
You know, I just noticed that - none of the blank windows even have the FILE/EDIT/VIEW/HISTORY/BOOKMARKS/TOOLS/HELP at the top.

Nothing has worked so far, and today it opened 17 additional blank windows. What's weird is that now, the blank windows are opening first, followed by the window w/tabs I last closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.