Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefox

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I have Firefox as my browser and Yahoo as my search engine. No matter how many updates, add-ons etc I use from Mozilla re: Adobe Flash player, Firefox continues to block Flash.

My question is, what can I use as a substitute to Flash and how do I install it to work on my browser
Thanks,
Windjammer14

#4 ·
Hello Spunk Funk,

I've tried unsuccessfully several times to transfer the screen shot I took of the message I get when I want to watch something. So the following is the message, " Adobe Flash Player has been blocked by your browser. Please unblock to view Yahoo 7 video content"

Mozilla has acknowledged this problem on their help page due to the number of complaints.
However so far all the possible solutions they've come up with haven't worked.
It seems the only answer that another user has found worked is to use an earlier version of Firefox.
Mozilla has discouraged this saying it could compromise security.
So where do we go? The Rock or The Hard Place?

I figure I'll get rid of Firefox and go back to the trouble plagued Internet Explorer or the pain in the butt Chrome.

Or, not use the net at all. Simplest solution I'd say.

Thanks,

Windjammer14

#6 ·
Go to the plugin check page in this link https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/p946 to see what plugin is out of date.
In Firefox go to Tools/addons. If the addon is still active, you can disable it. Then go to Search and type appwiz.cpl and press enter, if the plugin is Adobe Flash Player, uninstall it, and restart, then download the new Flash Player from the link in post #2

#8 ·
Windjammer14 said:
Thank you for putting me onto Palemoon. Works well.
Remember I was trying to overcome IE 11 freezing, hence the move to Palemoon.
Well, here's a scoop. I happened to click onto Yahoo on the Palemoon main page & lo & behold, within 5 minutes, the whole thing froze as before.

I assumed it was IE 11, but it seems as though it's Yahoo that is the culprit.
Any thoughts?
Windjammer14.
Sorry but we prefer to keep all support in the open forums, (theres something in the site rules about it). this is for everyones benefit, you have more people reading your thread and any solutions found can be read by future readers.

I had a good hour researching this but nothing conclusive up to now.

I think it would be good to see your specs in case the issue lies with system resources.

• Please download Speccy System Information Tool and save it to somewhere convenient such as your desktop.
  • Close any programs that may be running including your browser and double click Speccy.exe to run the tool.
  • Watch out for any offers to install other programs such as google chrome and untick the box(es) if you don't want them.
  • Speccy will very quickly scan your pc and create a report.
  • Top left of screen click file and select Publish Snapshot...
  • Click Yes to proceed.
  • Copy the URL to your clipboard and paste it into your next reply.

#10 ·
Hi Bob, apologies for the delay. Very busy with 'real life' issues at present.

I always have trouble with finding where to make a post in my User CP. It should be more straightforward for dummies like me.
You might want to bookmark this link. Where to Post - Tech Support Forum

Had a quick look through your speccy report and nothing leaps out at me but, you may have a little more time than me, I'll keep looking but see if anything rings a bell in this search;

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=A...firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=V8TKV8GZHevR8geFxLGICQ

#11 ·
Re: Yahoo constant freezing

Hello Dave,
Sorry, didn't mean to hurry you. I understand you have a life too.
What I might try is going to recovery mode to a few weeks ago.
Maybe there's something that's happened over that time frame I'm not aware of.

I will also delete yahoo and reload it if the former doesn't help.

Thanks for your time.

Bob.
Windjammer14

#12 ·
Windows 8 natively install Adobe Flash Player as does Chrome browser. Firefox has been a "bear" to install Adobe Flash player to but it has to happen if it is going to work. Lately FF has been asking permission to use it every time it is needed which made me walk away from FF a month ago.

Sea Monkey, Pale moon, Waterfox and Icefox are all Mozilla browsers but so far they all seem to be working the same way. That means you can use Safari (which I find really spartan), IE but we know Microsoft intends to eventually end that anyway which is why Edge is in Windows 10 or you might try Opera which has a new look and accepts Java and Adobe Flash player without a hiccup as I have been playing with that for over a week and like it a lot.

#13 ·
Thanks Rich.

@ Bob, if we had one of those 'mark as best answer' buttons here, I think I'd use it for the above post. Given how many others there are with similar issues, and the [un]-likelihood of a solution being found, maybe Opera is the answer.

I installed it myself a couple of hours ago and can see some subtle differences such as the homepage access and menu bar but maybe I'll learn to live with them. I'm going to give it a go.

Browser | Download Free | Fast & Safe Web Browser | Opera

#14 ·
I really don't get why so many people are having trouble with Flash, I honestly really don't. I've been using Flash forever on all my computers, even on my Android smartphones and haven't had a single tiny puny little glitch with it. I use it mainly with Firefox too. It's hardly a reason to flush Firefox! I don't believe Firefox is even the culprit.

There is a Flash Protected Mode that "may" cause issues on some machines, but it can be disabled easily. The plugin should be left on "Always Activate" as well.

#16 · (Edited)
I believe installing Flash "online" accounts for many problems people get. That's why I often recommend downloading it from HERE and installing it offline.

Adobe says that page and the download links will be decommissioned on Sept. 29, 2016. Sure would like to know why they intend to make it even more difficult for us... :rolleyes: It's time for websites to dump Adobe once and for all.

#17 ·
I read it that the requirement for new licenses is for business use but in any case they are not helping things and in order to do without Adobe Flash Player sites will have to setup Html5 is my understanding and I can't wait to see compliance there.

All this is so annoying because actually now we are waking up to infection possibilities?
The truth of the matter is there has never been a more stable period with fewer infections that I remember so they have to overreact and screw everything up over Java and Flash Player?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.