Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

FF won't ask about saving passwords

This is a discussion on FF won't ask about saving passwords within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Good morning! Getting some friends to stop using IE. Making good progress. They're running XP on an older PIII 600MHz,

Old 12-24-2007, 07:09 AM   #1
Mentally divergent

Good morning!
Getting some friends to stop using IE. Making good progress.

They're running XP on an older PIII 600MHz, 512 RAM.

They visit the Washington Mutual website fairly often. Firefox doesn't save their username/passwords. Even with the little "Remember Me" checkbox ticked, the website doesn't auto-fill either.

I went into FF Tools>Options>Security and there's nothing in the "Exceptions" window. The "Remember passwords for sites" box is ticked.

In the "Privacy" tab it's set to accept cookies until they expire. No "Exceptions" there either.

I'm under the impression that some websites don't work very well in FF, but not sure about that. Could that be it, or is something broken in FF? It's saving passwords for other websites they visit...

I can reload FF but don't think that's the problem.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:22 AM   #2
Security Team
Analyst

I would double check and make sure that the website was not accidentally added to the exceptions list

Tools -> Options -> Security -> Passwords -> Exceptions

“Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most” - Mark Twain
Clark76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Some sites like Yahoo Mail, Hotmail, and banking sites instruct the browser to never allow your password manager to retain your information. If you use a shared workspace, then this is probably not desirable. If you are the sole user, then it’s quite handy.

Just right click on remember password at the site below >
Bookmark this link.

Then click on
'Remember Password' just before submitting the form with your password in it. When you submit the form, your browser should offer to remember the password. Once your browser has your password stored, it will ignore autocomplete="off", so you won't have to use the bookmarklet each time you visit the site.

roachfiend.com » Always Remember Password

To use the bookmarklet, right click and 'Save to Bookmarks'. When you want to run it, just click it before pressing Login on the form. And you will be asked if you want to save the form data.
-----------------------
Old 12-24-2007, 01:02 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Another Add-on I like is Secure Login

A login extension similar to Opera's Wand login.

It uses the built-in password manager, but deactivates the prefilling of login forms.
Instead, you are now able to login with one click or a keyboard shortcut
(ALT+N - changeable via settings).
Just add the Secure Login toolbar button to your toolbar, or use the provided statusbar icon.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:54 AM   #5
Mentally divergent

Hi, Flatiron -
Some very interesting ideas you submitted. Thanks! I sent my friend an e-mail linking to this thread.
That "remember password" link is quite amazing. What does it do? Does it go into the Firefox "about:config" settings somehow and tweak one of the settings? And is that a one-time deal, or do you have to close FF to set it back to normal?
I've poked around in "about:config" to turn off IPV6 but that's about it. I'm curious to know if that setting can be changed manually.

Will also look into that Add-on you mention. I'm using Portable Apps Firefox on a USB thumb drive at work. Might be a good tool to add to the thumb drive's Firefox install!

EDIT: Went into about:config, couldn't find anything under "a" for auto-complete nor "p" for "password".

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-26-2007, 01:57 PM   #6
Mentally divergent

HI, Flatiron -
It worked! I'm over at a friend's house. Firefox would not remember their Hotmail log-in. I tried your "remember password" link and now FF goes right to their Hotmail site.

Thanks!
Old 12-29-2007, 01:41 AM   #7
Mentally divergent

A day later and Hotmail is making them type in the password again. Another friend, who had to manually log in to WaMu website, reports that the fix worked for him and is still working. So I blame Microsoft. The obvious fix, the one I've been suggesting for months, is to stop using Hotmail!

During search for answers I stumbled across the "iMacros" add-on. Pretty amazing. Anyone else tried this one on for size?