Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

Different Proxy Settings for flash player??

This is a discussion on Different Proxy Settings for flash player?? within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am not able to surf some sites with flash video content. I read somewhere that it is because of

Old 07-22-2009, 02:14 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am not able to surf some sites with flash video content. I read somewhere that it is because of the flash player not detecting the proxy settings that my browser uses.Is it true?How can I rectify this prob?

I use chrome and Firefox.Please Help!!

Old 07-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
Manager
- Alternative Computing
- Design

My System

Send a message via AIM to wmorri Send a message via MSN to wmorri

Hi,

I am guessing that you are having issues with FF and not chrome since you posted here? Here is the sense that I am getting from Proxy.org forums. It would appear that web based proxies don't let web-based flash to work. I would guess that there is an issue with both of them being web based and working against each other.

An option that might work for you if you have the resources is to tunnel your connection through a proxy server that is set up on another box. We have the capabilities to do that with Squid on linux. There might also be a program that proxies your connection straight from your computer, but I don't know much about that with windows, as I don't use it often, but you might find something.

Cheers!

Linux Forever!|html5 boilerplate
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

OS: Windows XP SP3, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, and Ubuntu 9.10 x64

My System

Send a message via AIM to Elite777 Send a message via MSN to Elite777 Send a message via Yahoo to Elite777

I know this is an old thread but I figured I'd add an update for any other users that stumble across this. Apparently Flash does not adhere to proxy settings and locally communicates to other sockets and PE files on Windows. I've creating a SSH tunnel and this still does not resolve the issue as the SOCK Proxy server is completely disregarded. Supposedly their is some server-sided programming that can be done to resolve this issue but that doesn't leave many options open for the client/user. I tried Squid and PuTTY along with openSSH and though the connection was successfully established and my SSH Server IP displayed the flash content did not tunnel along.

I'm still doing research trying to find a work-around and if I remember, will post back with these results.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:46 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via AIM to Elite777 Send a message via MSN to Elite777 Send a message via Yahoo to Elite777

Hello again,

I just wanted to report a work-around in regards to this issue. You can either use a HTTP SSL or SOCKS (SSH) proxy and use an application like ProxyCap to launch your browser in an encapsulated proxy session. Basically, rather then launching your browser locally and then applying the settings, you'd be launching the browser THROUGH the specified proxy settings making it think it's the native network settings. I'm using it right now and it's working great :)

Here's a break down of how you can implement the work-around:

1) Find a SOCKS server (A whole listing can be found here: http://www.samair.ru/proxy/socks.htm)

2) Download ProxyCap (It's a 30 Day trial but there are alternatives to this program if you want to search around or you can simply buy it) from http://www.proxycap.com. You'll be prompted to re-boot but you'll still be able to use it without doing so.

3) After installing, right-click on the ProxyCap icon in the Task-Tray and select Preferences.

4) Within the Preferences GUI select Proxies and click the button for "New Proxy Server" (First button the the left). Enter in the Proxy information (Just the top three fields).

5) Within the Preferences window select Rules on the left-panel and select New Tunneling Rule. From there choose the Proxy server you specified earlier from the Proxy Server drop-down. You can either select JUST your Internet Browser or "All Programs" from the Application portion to specify what will be launched with the proxy settings specified. I used "All Programs" as I hop between IE, Firefox, Chrome, and SRWare Iron. Leave all the other settings as is.

6) Click OK and restart your browser. Also, ensure you don't have any proxy settings in place or else it will conflict. If your in a work/school environment disable the set proxies (Internet Explorer -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings) and let ProxyCap do it's thing.

I'm probably going to make a video tutorial for this within the next couple of days and post it on my YouTube Channel. If I remember, I'll update this post with a link to the video tutorial when I make it. In case I forget, my channel URL is:

www.youtube.com/mushroomheadbangers

Good-Luck and hope this is helpful.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #5
Registered Member

My System

I finished the video tutorial for anyone interested:

Old 11-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite777 View Post
I finished the video tutorial for anyone interested:

bahh. I followed every direction in Part 1 of 2 in this video until I hit an "Access Denied" wall in the command prompt when typing C:\>net start opensshd

Im running windows 7, but did everything you said in this video step by step.

any ideas?