Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Mozilla/Firefox Browsers

Can't restore bookmarks

This is a discussion on Can't restore bookmarks within the Mozilla/Firefox Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey there guys. Recently I had to do a fresh Re-Install of Windows XP on my system. Before doing the

Old 07-27-2008, 03:46 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to Techie19

Hey there guys.

Recently I had to do a fresh Re-Install of Windows XP on my system. Before doing the re-install I had backed up all of my Firefox bookmarks (Firefox 3.0.1), and now that I try to restore them, for some reason I can't.

What I did was the following: Bookmarks>Organize Bookmarks>Import and Backup>Backup

Then the system asked me where I wanted to save the backup file. I saved it in my desktop, and the file type is JSON.

I try to do the following: Bookmarks>Organize Bookmarks>Import and Backup> Restore>choose a file. I then select the JSON backup file from my desktop, and nothing happens. I had around 50+ saved bookmarks which now I cant seem to get back up. The reason I did the backup was so that I wouldn't loose my bookmarks, and now I cant even get them back up.

Anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong.

Please help..............

Old 07-28-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
Design Team

I don't know why what you're doing isn't working. but could you try opening the file in a text editor (notepad) and see what it displays the information as?

Cheers,
Jamey

Please help me to help you by addressing and answering ALL the questions I ask in my posts.
(I usually go about a post by mentally debugging the issue, and each answer will provide deeper insight into the nature of the problem)
(Also don't worry if you don't know the answer, post back asking for clarification or help)
jamiemac2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:19 PM   #3
Enthusiast

You might want to look at this before losing anymore:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410
Old 07-31-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to keithy397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techie19 View Post
Hey there guys.

Recently I had to do a fresh Re-Install of Windows XP on my system. Before doing the re-install I had backed up all of my Firefox bookmarks (Firefox 3.0.1), and now that I try to restore them, for some reason I can't.

What I did was the following: Bookmarks>Organize Bookmarks>Import and Backup>Backup

Then the system asked me where I wanted to save the backup file. I saved it in my desktop, and the file type is JSON.

I try to do the following: Bookmarks>Organize Bookmarks>Import and Backup> Restore>choose a file. I then select the JSON backup file from my desktop, and nothing happens. I had around 50+ saved bookmarks which now I cant seem to get back up. The reason I did the backup was so that I wouldn't loose my bookmarks, and now I cant even get them back up.

Anybody have any idea what I'm doing wrong.

Please help..............
The JSON file is a result of the new 'places' system of bookmarking and history in Firefox 3 so currently I'm not up to date with how it works but I'll be having a look very shortly.

In your Profile, you will have automatic backup's of your bookmarks so you can use one of them to replace the original if it has been corrupted or deleted.

Close Firefox

Go to your profile:-
C:\Documents and Settings\*User named Folder*\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\~~~~~~~~.name of profile

The ~ represent 8 random characters.

Open the Bookmark Backups folder, ascertain which of the 5 backups is the most recent and rename it bookmarks.html

Now Move (or copy and move/paste) to the Profile folder. If the original is still there it will prompt for permission to over-write, click Yes.

Now open Firefox and your bookmarks should be ok - as of when they were last saved anyway.