Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Programming

Stop A Program From Losing Focus

This is a discussion on Stop A Program From Losing Focus within the Programming forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a problem with my computer losing focus on a certain screen. So im trying make in program that

Old 03-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a problem with my computer losing focus on a certain screen. So im trying make in program that always running, in if the SCREEN lose focus an a program will bring it back up automatic. Are prevent it fom losong focus.

Thanks

Old 03-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Games Team | Tech

My System

First question, what language are you trying to program this in?
What OS are you working with?
You can google "Windows keep window focus" for various answers in C#, C++, etc...

Open task manager (right click on taskbar > task manager), go to options and select "always on top", watch the resulting behavior of the task manager window, is that the result you want?

Old 03-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Registered Member

I working with vb, in I looking for something simple.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Games Team | Tech

My System

Try reading this microsoft page about creating forms that are always on top of other windows.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks, but I couldnt get it to work. I have two program that will be running at the same time. But for some reason, the program thats minimize keep pop over the program thats needs to always be on display.

I have in code below, can some help me, on what Im doing wrong to focus on a process in task manager. In order for the program can stay in display.

PrivateSub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
Dim objWMIService, colProcesses
Dim Process AsString

Process =
"OUTLOOK.exe"
If Process = "OUTLOOK.exe"Then
Process = Focus()
' MessageBox.Show("test")
Else
EndIf
objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:")
colProcesses = objWMIService.ExecQuery(
"Select * from Win32_Process where name='" & Process & "'")
If colProcesses.Count Then
colProcesses = vbMaximizedFocus
MsgBox(
"Process is Running")
Else
MsgBox("Process is Not Running")
EndIf
If Process = "OUTLOOK.EXE"Then
EndIf
EndSub
End
Class
Old 03-07-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Games Team | Tech

My System

Since I'm not familiar with VB, I would recommend following the "step-by-step example" in the "more information" section of the link I posted and setup a new project and copy-paste the example code into the new project.

Get an exact working copy of the example code in the new project and then try to copy the necessary parts of the example into your project.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #7
Registered Member

Here is an example for you in C# it should be easy enough to convert to VB.Net:
pinvoke.net: SetForegroundWindow (user32)
Old 03-12-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thanks for you help everyone, But i have finally figure it out. Such a small code, but it gets the job done. Im posting the code, just in case someone may need it oneday..

Happy Coding

PublicClassForm1
PrivateSub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) HandlesMyBase.Load
EndSub
PrivateDeclareFunction FindWindow Lib"user32"Alias"FindWindowA" (ByVal lpClassName AsString, ByVal lpWindowName AsString) AsLong
PrivateDeclareFunction ShowWindow Lib"user32" (ByVal hwnd AsLong, ByVal nCmdShow AsLong) AsLong
PrivateConst SW_SHOWNORMAL = 1
PrivateConst SW_SHOWMINIMIZED = 2
PrivateConst SW_SHOWMAXIMIZED = 3
PrivateSub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
Timer1.Enabled = False
EndSub
PrivateSub Timer1_Tick(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
Label1.Text = Format(TimeOfDay,
"h:mm:ss tt")
AppActivate(
"Today Test.txt")
EndSub
PrivateSub Label1_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Label1.Click
EndSub
PrivateSub Button2_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button2.Click
Timer1.Enabled =
True
EndSub
End
Class
Old 03-12-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
Games Team | Tech

My System

Thanks for telling us Focus2, glad you were able to solve the problem.
Happy coding