Go Back   Tech Support Forum > The IT Pro > Programming

Email Files

This is a discussion on Email Files within the Programming forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. So a friend of mine and myself are starting a BSOD and Windows Error repair and support company, we need

Old 04-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
Registered Member

So a friend of mine and myself are starting a BSOD and Windows Error repair and support company, we need all of our database information to be mailed back and forth, I seen something with a Batch file program that uploaded a copy of the files to an FTP server, although we want no online databases (As working on the side as an Ethical Hacker I know what's out there) and do not want to have to go through the pain of constantly uploading the files and such, pretty much what I want is something that I can set a file path on to upload them to the attachment on the email and send it, I don't really mind what language (As long as it runs on Windows and I don't have to sit and debug it for 6 hours) whatever works the best! Thanks so much!

Old 04-05-2012, 12:22 PM   #2
TSF-Emeritus

My System

Hello Sheldon!

So are you wanting a program that takes files from the location you specify, attach them to an email, and send that email to your friend? Breaking it down by bullet points, this sounds like what you're asking:
  • The program checks a certain directory of which you specify for files.
  • The program takes those files and attaches them to a new email.
  • The program sets the recipient of that email to your friend.
  • The program sends the email to your friend with the attached files.
If that's not what you're wanting to do, please rephrase your summary of what the program does followed by bullet points similar to the ones above that explains each process the program should perform.

We know your targeted OS is Windows and that you have no preference as to what language and tools are used for the job, but what about the location of the files and the address of your friend? Do you want the program to already know where the files are stored and know what email address it should send the email to? I can have a "settings.txt" file for you that could have a line for the directory of the files and another line for the email address you wish to send the emails to so you don't have to worry about typing in the information each time the program runs or worry about changing and recompiling it. You might also have to specify if you want a full GUI application or just a console executable to run as the program. If you want a GUI, you'll have to send a design in with all the features you need from it specified.

If all this sounds too large for a reply on this thread, you can just create a "Program Design" folder and stuff in your design documents for the program ( which includes the summary of the task it should perform, the breakdown of each process it should perform, the GUI design if a GUI application, and the file directory + email address if you want it built-in the program instead of in a separate file to be loaded in, and whatever else you feel needs to be included ) and compress it in a .zip format to be attached in your next reply.

Also, would you like this program to just be designed and written or should it also be packaged and ready for you too? From the sound of it, you just want it written so you can compile it yourself. It's no trouble to compile, document, optimize, and package it for you so it's ready to be used upon download instead of you having to setup your environment to compile it for yourself.

Note: Sorry for the long reply that asks a lot from you that you probably already knew. I saw your profile biography and knew you've already been through this process before, I just reuttered it so you didn't feel like I was ignoring the process of business. If you want to be even more formal to the process and do a full-blown project design to send, that's fine too . If you're leaving the design fully to the developer as long as it does the task at hand, the design document isn't necessary as long as the summary of what the program does is clear enough .

Old 04-05-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Registered Member

Personally anything is fine, as long as I can click it, it executes and sends, and I have can kick back and relax, it's all good! I seen a script in C that looked good, at least that was until I noticed it was a Logic Bomb and my virus protector quarantined it as a Trojan...
Old 04-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #4
TSF-Emeritus

My System

No problem. I'll get to work on it right away and will post when I have it completed ( whether it be today, tomorrow, etc ). It shouldn't be too much trouble to make, the only thing is fitting time into doing so.

Cheers!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out! Your services are greatly appreciated!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
TSF-Emeritus

My System

Finished creating the program Sheldon . It's attached to this reply in a .zip compression format.

Make sure to read the "readme.txt" file so you understand how it works. I tested it on multiple email addresses as well as two separate machines.

Professionally and cleanly packaged for you, just as I promised . If you have problems running it or not understanding how it works, just tell me and I'll be happy to work with you.

Cheers! Good luck to your company!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Automated Attachment Sender.zip (20.9 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Registered Member

Thank you so very much! This will certainly be helpful now that I have our web server up and running!
Old 04-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #8
TSF-Emeritus

My System

Nice to hear the server is up . If you run across any problems with it just reply to this thread here.

EDIT:

You should perform a test run with it and see if it works correctly for you. That way you can notice problems with it ( if any ) and corrections can be made or solutions can be found before you actually need to use the program. Probably best to test a few files of different types ( .txt, .zip, etc ) and see if it sends the attachments to where they need to be accordingly.