Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Other Browsers

What Remaining Browsers Will Use Java

This is a discussion on What Remaining Browsers Will Use Java within the Other Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I don't know about the rest of you but I have a lot of clients who use gaming sites that

Old 09-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I don't know about the rest of you but I have a lot of clients who use gaming sites that aren't going to work without Java and I read that Firefox is ending Java support as Chrome already did, at the end of 2016. Personally I use two brokerage sites that will not function without Java and Have been looking around for alternatives but am concerned.

For now we know IE will keep utilizing it but even Microsoft plans to end IE eventually which is why Edge is here and Edge like Safari will not take most of my favorite plugins like Last Pass, All-in-One gestures, Wot and Adblock Plus. I can't expect to stop using my broekerage house and as I said all of their tools require java so I am concerned.

I have been trying to find out if the other Mozilla browsers like Sea Monkey which I am currently using or Waterfox and Pale Moon ones I have used in the past will follow suit.

And then there is the individually accepting Adobe Flash Player manually for every transaction on Firefox which is getting equally annoying and I am afraid the handwriting may well be on the wall there as well. Has anyone tried to use HTML5 to work around it. I tried and cannot figure it out truthfully.

And then there is Opera which uses some of the same plugins but not all, and as many times as I have played with that one, I just plain always wind up uninstalling it real quickly.

I am not sure where all of this is heading but it would appear as if sooner or later I will wake up and realize only half the websites Ie need will run for me.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2016, 11:31 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

The site my wife uses is trying to phase out Java based games and is looking into an alternative to Flash. Of course if safety isn't a concern, older Browser versions are always available. Along with Chrome based Opera, I also use the original Opera 12 which is still maintained by updates every year or so.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:55 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I have been playing with Opera right now and have managed to get all my important plugins there...have imported bookmarks just have to figure how to see them and get the bar setup but this may well do the job!

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:22 PM   #4
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
I am afraid the handwriting may well be on the wall there as well.
Pretty sure you're right, seems like everyone is threatening to ditch it, certainly YouTube is changing to HTML5.

Quote:
Has anyone tried to use HTML5 to work around it?
Can't remember what it was that set me off, but I went on this mission the other day and most of the available info seems to be directed at site builders, the rest doesn't make any sense.

Ok, I didn't know anything about HTML5 but just had a quick look. It looks like its not something that will need a plugin, rather its the newest version of HTML and (presumably) the first version that allows you to embed video into a web page.

Quote:
Before HTML5, a video could only be played in a browser with a plug-in (like flash).

The HTML5 <video> element specifies a standard way to embed a video in a web page. Source
So, if I understand it correctly, its not a case of the user downloading something like a plugin to be able to play HTML5 video, its just that those sites that utilise this method, will play video without the need for flash or any other plugin.

Of course, I only came to these conclusions in the last ten minutes so I could be completely wrong.

Submit New Articles Here Help us by posting your System Specs

Save the Earth........ It's the only planet with Chocolate!!
Deejay100six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

I posted this a while back, but have fun testing all your browsers HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?

Old 09-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #6
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Dave you could well be right which is a thought I completely missed and I suppose as long as the sites work it doesn't matter.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:58 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
I posted this a while back, but have fun testing all your browsers HTML5test - How well does your browser support HTML5?
odd, reloaded page 4 times, got 3 different results.
Some of the way scores are assigned are kind of strange.
kendallt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 06:14 AM   #8
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Well I am definitely liking Opera a lot now!

Old 09-11-2016, 12:49 PM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Well all of a sudden Opera stopped supporting Java...I posted on the Mozilla Forums and came up with a great solution and that is the ESR Version of Firefox 45 and I believe Sea Monkey will have one at 2.49 ESR version. They will hold the NPAPI plugin which holds Java and a few older plugins some folks need ESP (Extended Support Release) and there is a plan for version 52 in ESR. This version only updates to ESR versions so that prevents a screwup with auto updates.
If I didn't like Charles Schwab Brokerage software so much, and none of it will work without it, I wouldn't care. I also have quite a few customers that use Pogo game site and again that requires java as does my bank website and I don't feel like changing banks because a few "wussies" are afraid of infections, something I have never had. I mean all this fuss over possible infections when all we need to do is teach our clients how to use a computer!
https://community.webroot.com/t5/Sec...SR/td-p/256803
Oh and if you want it to work and continue to you have to use 32 bit version of FF.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:40 PM   #10
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

The "real" OPera is what I like best, not the Crome based one. Still available at: Download Opera 12.14 for Windows - OldVersion.com

Old 09-11-2016, 02:05 PM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Aren't you afraid as its old about security Rick?
I actually liked the new one.... but I can't believe Java support suddenly ended with no announcement.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:25 PM   #12
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

Quote:
Aren't you afraid as its old about security Rick?
I actually liked the new one.... but I can't believe Java support suddenly ended with no announcement.
I think the "bad guys" forgot about Old Opera.

Old 09-11-2016, 04:34 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

My System

the reason I always liked Opera it it was different than netscape IE or any of the other browsers.
Most browsers today the choice pretty much becomes 'What skin do you want?' If you can compromise one, you have them all.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:50 PM   #14
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I never much liked old Opera but new one I did until I realized it was just repackaged Chrome. You can make some interesting changes with hundreds of theme changes in most Mozilla browsers.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:04 AM   #15
TSF Enthusiast

My System

That's what I mean, with the majority of browsers it's theme/skin changes. Some tweak security, others work on speed but beneath those minor changes, they are pretty much the same browsers. No matter how many trimmings you put on a hot dog, it's still a hot dog.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:35 AM   #16
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

I should have recommended Opera Version 12.18. Recent security update is detailed here:
Surprise: Opera 12.18 has been released - gHacks Tech News

Old 09-18-2016, 07:48 AM   #17
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Rick does 12.18 still allow NPAPI which means Java and Flash Player work?
I have tried to find out and can't seem to see that at all.

Old 09-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #18
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

My System

NPAPI upgraded to 23.0.0.162 yesterday and everything still works. Just to be sure I had my wife switch to old Opera (12.18) after I read this thread and she played Flash and Java games on Pogo.

Old 09-18-2016, 10:05 AM   #19
Moderator, Editor, Articles Team

My System

No 12.18 for me, maybe its not been released in the UK yet. Tried check for updates in 12.14 and it says I have the latest version.

Btw, does anyone know if you can remove the search part of the address bar like you can in FF?

Submit New Articles Here Help us by posting your System Specs

Save the Earth........ It's the only planet with Chocolate!!
Deejay100six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 10:07 AM   #20
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Thanks Rick.