Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Other Browsers

Vivaldi Browser (Opera before the fat lady sang off key)

This is a discussion on Vivaldi Browser (Opera before the fat lady sang off key) within the Other Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. https://www.vivaldi.com/ Story goes that some of the folks at Opera weren't too happy with the direction, so they split off

Old 04-15-2016, 04:45 PM   #1
Registered Member

https://www.vivaldi.com/

Story goes that some of the folks at Opera weren't too happy with the direction, so they split off and started Vivaldi hoping to pick up where the old Opera left off.

First stable release was issued a couple of weeks ago.

Has anybody tried it yet?
Confounded Also is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2016, 04:57 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Most don't know that old original Opera is still being Updated. Not to be confused with the Chrome version which "replaced" it.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:26 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confounded Also View Post

Story goes that some of the folks at Opera weren't too happy with the direction, so they split off and started Vivaldi hoping to pick up where the old Opera left off.

I tried it and had a lot of trouble - twice I installed it and it would not open, but Windows claimed it was open so I could not uninstall it until I rebooted. The third time, I could not download anything because it would not permit me to install the proper path to either my desktop or the download folder. I cured that by reinstalling it but it shut down and would not open.
For the few days it was open it was very fast, had an unusual bookmark set up.
They, apparently, do not have any solution to the shut down problem at this time, at least as far as I know.
ahduncu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:54 AM   #4
Hardware Tech Team

Send a message via Yahoo to Stancestans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confounded Also View Post

Trying it now (using it to post this reply) and so far so good. Release 1.1 came out today and has a long list of fixes, so it's under active development which is good. It's still based on Chromium, same as Chrome and the new Opera browser, so it supports Chrome Web Store extensions.

Encountered issues with the installer when I changed the installation directory to %programfiles(x86)%. It could not create its folder in that path, due to access permissions, so I restarted the installer with elevated privilleges and it installed successfully, but then it was unable to create/read the user profile directory %localappdata% due to denied access and not being able to create a temp directory and it shut itself down. That was installing it per user (aka for the current user only).

I removed it and ran setup again (NOT with elevated privilleges, just the ordinary double-click open), this time I reverted the installation path to the default (%localappdata%, oddly) and selected standalone installation (aka portable) and oddly enough it did install to %localappdata% without permission issues.

One other odd observation I made is that it uses Chrome's version of flash and loads it from Chrome's installation directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\49.0.2623.112\PepperFlash\pepflashplayer.dll

I wonder what would have been the case if Chrome wasn't already installed. Could it be it requires Chrome to be installed for flash to work? That would be self-defeating. Only one way to find out.

As far as usability goes, it seems customizability of its interface is its strongest selling point. Lot's of options available. I love the web panel feature. Having facebook chat open in the panel while writing this post almost won my heart. It's like stacking two browser windows side by side. I also love its notes feature. MS Edge does have a similar feature, but Edge is way too far from being my secondary browser!

Bing was the default search provider and suggestions worked fine until i changed to Google search. Suggestions are still enabled, but they are simply not working (not a single suggestion shows up).

So far my biggest quarrel with it is the installer. Hopefully they'll get it polished. If you are up for trying it, leave the default installation path and select standalone installation.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:54 PM   #5
Registered Member

Notes was one of the thing I liked in the real Opera and I have quite a few saved in O-10.

That and the M2 Mail Client.

I think I found Vivaldi when I was looking for a way to stack Tabs side-by-side in SeaMonkey.

But I'm not a pioneer, so I believe I'll wait a while.
Confounded Also is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:16 PM   #6
Registered Member

tried this version today - 1.1.453.47 (Stable channel) 26/04/2016. If you're already running Vivaldi 1.0, you'll be notified of the update and the new version will be installed over the existing one. Otherwise, you can get it here:

Vivaldi Web Browser Community - No time to rest. Vivaldi 1.1 is here with enhanced tab handling, better hibernation and more!

Quote:
It's hard to imagine that a little less than three weeks ago we launched Vivaldi 1.0.
But we are not resting. this is a result of the feedback we've received over the last 3 weeks, to make Vivaldi even better.
ive got vivaldi 1.0 and with all young browsers it will get better with time but ive found it to be an interesting learning curve. its all there with the usual features, you just need to prod about. it depends whether you've got a bit of free time for a bit of tinkering.

the snapshots of vivaldi are confusing for newcomers as they have advanced installs. allowing for Stand alone versions. the stand-alone option doesn't show up in uninstall programs (revo, etc) or the usual programs folder in the C drive. also, there wasn't a visible shortcut beyond the one pinned to the taskbar.

as for the location of vivaldi, the folder is in C:\ users, 'your name', appdata, local, vivaldi folder. ive since removed this version and went for the more conventional version and found it to be a snappy browser, cleverly designed, as long as you are ok with the colour scheme
btufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 08:55 PM   #7
Registered Member

A new Snapshot - 1.2.470.11 - yesterday, 04/05/2016:

Vivaldi Web Browser Community - Snapshot 1.2.470.11 - Editable Gestures
Quote:
Yet again we introduce quite a few of improvements, so let’s dive in without too much ado. First we’d like to discuss gestures, the ability to issue commands with help of drawn shapes. With some of you excited and some of you disappointed by lack of flexibility, we hope to address both groups by expanding the feature by recordable gestures.
This is for Vivaldi 1.2. If you want to keep using a stable version, stay with Vivaldi 1.1.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:22 AM   #8
Registered Member

Vivaldi 1.1 Stable v. update

a second update to v1.1.453.59 yesterday, 13/05/2016. If you have the browser, it should notify you of the update, otherwise you can get it via one of the links in the above post, or from FileHorse:

Download Vivaldi 1.1 from FileHorse

Release Notes:

Vivaldi 1.1 Changelogs