Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Other Browsers

Task Manager shows Chrome running 7 or 8 times.

This is a discussion on Task Manager shows Chrome running 7 or 8 times. within the Other Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Not sure what this is about, everything was fine then Chrome and other programs started locking up. When I rebooted,

Old 02-21-2016, 05:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

Not sure what this is about, everything was fine then Chrome and other programs started locking up. When I rebooted, the boot process was slow, and everything else was too, and kept locking up. I suspected (but may be wrong) that it had something to do with a third party program that I had just installed called ClassicShell on Windows 10. I wasn't too impressed with it so I uninstalled it. When I tried to uninstall Chrome in order to reinstall it, it kept saying I had to close the Chrome window even though Chrome was closed. I went into the Task Manager and saw Chrome listed several times. I closed all those, uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome, and rebooted. Eventually things seemed to return to normal, but when I look at Task Manager, it still shows Chrome is loaded several times over (see the attached snip).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Task Manager capture.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	272386  
Brinybay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2016, 09:13 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

OS: XP, Vista, Seven, & a whole host you would never have heard of.Windows Ten 64 bit Pro

Hi, this is normal, it is by design, chrome loads separate processes for web apps and plugins from the browser process so if a plugin fails or web app the browser is not taken down... much more complicated then this, still you should get the idea.

You can view what these processes are in chrome click on the three bars (far right corner) go to more tools and click on task manager, here you can see the chrome processes detailed. Happens on all machines.

jenae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:57 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenae View Post
Hi, this is normal, it is by design, chrome loads separate processes for web apps and plugins from the browser process so if a plugin fails or web app the browser is not taken down... much more complicated then this, still you should get the idea.

You can view what these processes are in chrome click on the three bars (far right corner) go to more tools and click on task manager, here you can see the chrome processes detailed. Happens on all machines.
Thanks. After I posted that, I noticed these were processes, not the program. Point is moot now anyway because my computer has crashed and won't boot (using wife's pc). I've had mine in the shop twice in the last couple of months, tired of throwing money at it, time for a new one.
Brinybay is offline   Reply With Quote