Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Bookmark recovery from bookmarks.bak

62K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  MikeMyers 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Run into a bit of an interesting issue with restoring bookmarks from the bookmarks.bak file located in AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default. I had accidentally deleted my bookmarks on a laptop, and unknowingly deleted them from all of my devices. I was trying to correct a sync problem which resulted in duplicate results...

I saw that many websites recommend the deletion of the bookmarks file, and replacing it by renaming bookmarks.bak. This method no longer seems to work - despite the fact that bookmarks.bak does indeed contain all of my "deleted" bookmarks.

I have tried setting as read only, and also renaming to bookmarks.html and using the import feature; but it is not recognized.

Has anyone got any suggestions for restoring my bookmarks from this file, rather than manually rebooking everything? I cannot believe there isn't an straight-forward way to do this!

I'm happy to try a third party tool, but haven't come across that seem to be able to do this!

#2 ·
Re: Bookmark recovery from bookmarks.bak

Sods law that I struggle with this for a few days, then manage to solve it myself.

For reference, to fix this ensure that bookmark synchronization is disabled within the Chrome settings, before you delete the "bookmarks" files.
Then remove .bak from "bookmarks.bak", and close Chrome. Upon reopening, your bookmarks will be restored and you can safely enable synchronization again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.