Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Other Browsers

Publishers Clearing House pages

This is a discussion on Publishers Clearing House pages within the Other Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Just to try it one time this year, I decided to play the Publishers Clearing House online games that provide

Old 03-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Just to try it one time this year, I decided to play the Publishers Clearing House online games that provide the chance to win up to $7000/wk. for life. However, I discovered early on that the game pages don't work right with all browsers. My default browser when I started the games was Firefox. But when you start the multiple lotto games (pick numbers for a series of lotto boards), only IE 11 would automatically progress to each new board. With Firefox, you could pick the numbers from only one board, then would have to close the FF and click the next link in the e-mail PCH sends you every day to open the next lotto game.

At first I thought it had something to do with AdBlock Plus (PCH runs 20-sec. ads between each lotto game), but I disabled it, and therefore saw the ads, but FF still would not progress thru the multiple lotto games. So. . . installed Chrome. It's worse; not only does it not progress from board to board, it won't even DISPLAY the boards. Disabling Adblock Plus AND allowing pop-ups for pch.com didn't change that.

So. . . the only browser I've used that blocks the ads AND progresses from board to board is IE 11. . . which I don't like as well as FF or Chrome.

Anybody know a way to make FF and/or Chrome handle the PCH pages properly?

Old 03-27-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
- Hardware Team
- Articles Team
- Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 7 64bit Professional (SP1), Windows 8.1 64bit

My System

Chances are that this game you have entered in a scam and I would advise don't downloading or using any website or software they provide you.

Intel, NVidia, Xbox One, Android, Gigabyte
Masterchiefxx17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 7 Pro, ME, Vista. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000 & 98SE

Although PCH games are legit, I wouldn't take any chances. You can enter PCH Sweepstakes by snail mail. Good Luck!

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:40 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corday View Post
Although PCH games are legit, I wouldn't take any chances. You can enter PCH Sweepstakes by snail mail. Good Luck!
The PCH online games are legit. . . not scams.

I have made so many enable/disable changes to the Chrome extensions, I'm no longer sure what did it, but Chrome now works on the PCH lotto site. It appeared to do so after I removed AdBlock Plus and replaced it with AdBlock (no "Plus"). Has worked ever since.

However, another problem arose. On just one of the PCH sites, Chrome issued an error message saying, "A plug-in (Shockwave Flash) isn't responding" and the page crashed. If I disable AdBlock it works, but I also see all the (blithering!) ads. Found a site that said the error was due to a conflict between 2 installations of Adobe Flash, and to disable the one in the AppData folder. I did. No more error message, no more crash. . . BUT. . . despite having AdBlock enabled, I now get the PCH ads.

I have no clue what the relationship is between AdBlock and one of the Flash plug-ins, but apparently when I disable that one, it renders AdBlock useless. If I leave both Flash plug-ins enabled, it crashes the page. So at this point, I'm going back to using IE 11 with AdBlock Plus. It works on ALL PCH game pages AND I see no ads.