Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Other Browsers

Is there a way to remove duplicate tabs in any browser?

This is a discussion on Is there a way to remove duplicate tabs in any browser? within the Other Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I find after a while of using my internet browser that I often end up with multiple duplicate tabs. No

Old 01-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
Registered Member

I find after a while of using my internet browser that I often end up with multiple duplicate tabs. No problem if I have only a few tabs open but if I have lots then it’s a nightmare to sort through them all just to delete the duplicates. I currently use Opera but I can’t seem to find any information for duplicate tab removal for any of the major browsers. I think something like this would be useful to many people who often deal with a large amount of WebPages. Am I missing some kind of option or is there any way to help with this problem other than manual sorting?

Old 01-07-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Manager
- Alternative Computing
- Design

My System

Send a message via AIM to wmorri Send a message via MSN to wmorri

Hi,

Can you take a screenshot of what you are talking about. That way we can work on a solution for you.

Cheers!

Linux Forever!|html5 boilerplate
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
Registered Member

http://img37.imageshack.us/img37/4983/tabsd.jpg
Old 01-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
Manager
- Alternative Computing
- Design

My System

Send a message via AIM to wmorri Send a message via MSN to wmorri

Wow okay so all of those tabs that is a lot more than I thought there would be. I will have to do a little looking to see how to get rid of duplicate tabs.

Cheers!

Linux Forever!|html5 boilerplate
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #5
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to eveningsky339

To clarify--

Your browser basically gets cluttered with "twin sets" of tabs? Does this happen randomly or is it the result of an action? Certainly looks like a mess!

EDIT: On a side note, I've used Opera a bit, and it seems to be the only browser with the option of "Duplicate This Tab", or something along those lines. In other words, I could right-click a tab, select that option, and then a tab with the same URL pops up next to it. As far as I know this is not possible in Firefox or IE.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:48 AM   #6
Registered Member

There is an option in ie if you right click the tab to duplicate too not sure about the others because at the moment I use Opera and ie. As you know with opera it's one big session which will reopen all the tabs next time so after a while they build up. I work with lots of tabs and as a result unwanted duplicates appear. I am able to manually tidy them it would just make life much easier if I could remove all the duplicates before starting the tidy process. This page would be an example I copy and pasted the link into a notepad to paste in to check the thread at a later date, chances are the other tab is still open thus creating a duplicate.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:55 AM   #7
Registered Member

There is an option in ie if you right click the tab to duplicate too not sure about the others because at the moment I use Opera and ie. This touches on why it's hard to find information especially on google because it seems all material related to tab duplicates is more about creating them than removing them.