Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Other Browsers

How to get rid of pop ups in Chrome?

This is a discussion on How to get rid of pop ups in Chrome? within the Other Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Oh, I didn't know that WinPatrol and SuperAntiSpyware were malware protection programs, I was looking at the page on TSF

Old 05-05-2016, 01:22 PM   #21
Registered Member

Oh, I didn't know that WinPatrol and SuperAntiSpyware were malware protection programs, I was looking at the page on TSF where it had listed all the security programs and antiviruses recommendations and from each section I just picked one, I thought they were for different things because they were all in different categories. I will remove WinPatrol and SuperAntiSpyware right now.

So, an antivirus I guess protects from adware and stuff too.

I received a pop up just mins. ago I took a screenshot of it for you and my extensions page too, but all seemed to be running.

I also went to rename the folder but it wouldn't give me permission, it said you need to confirm the change, and when I clicked continue another pop up said I don't have permission.../I am an administrator on my computer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pop up.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	280770   Click image for larger version

Name:	extensions.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	280778  
CK007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2016, 02:11 AM   #22
Hardware Tech Team

Send a message via Yahoo to Stancestans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK007 View Post
So, an antivirus I guess protects from adware and stuff too.
Yes, a good antivirus will detect adware as such or as PUP (potentially unwanted program) or PUA (potentially unwanted application). Additionally, there are on-demand scanners dedicated to removing adware, e.g adwcleaner; which you ran in the malware removal thread.

Quote:
I received a pop up just mins. ago I took a screenshot of it for you and my extensions page too, but all seemed to be running.
That site TVMuse is compromised. It opened a popup, but uBlock Origin blocked it after a couple of seconds. Some of the links on that site are malicious and were blocked by Google Safebrowsing and Avast on my system. Your screenshot has adverts visible to the right as well, so this suggests uBlock is not working as it should and WinPatrol could very well be blocking it.

Quote:
I also went to rename the folder but it wouldn't give me permission, it said you need to confirm the change, and when I clicked continue another pop up said I don't have permission.../I am an administrator on my computer.
Again, WinPatrol could be blocking manipulation of Chrome's user data folder since it's inside a hidden folder, %localappdata%, or you tried renaming them while Chrome is open/running.
Stancestans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #23
Registered Member

Ok, that worked thank you! now all of my bookmarks are restored and there's so much more than I had before.

I guess WinPatrol was causing problems because I had too many programs installed. Chrome was closed when I was doing it.

Still getting pop ups though, that same one in fact. It pops up and I have to close it myself.
WinPatrol and SuperAntiSpyware have been removed.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #24
Hardware Tech Team

Quote:
Still getting pop ups though, that same one in fact. It pops up and I have to close it myself.
Let's add some more filters in uBlock Origin settings. Right-click its icon and select Options. Switch to the 3rd-party filters tab and check additional filters to match the screenshot below.

Apply changes and update them using the Update now button at the top.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:32 PM   #25
Registered Member

Thank you! so far so good, will give it a couple days to confirm that there are no pop ups.
Old 05-08-2016, 05:05 PM   #26
Registered Member

Ok, so all seems good...but there is just one page that I would not like any ad blocking to be on. I tried turning off Ublock for just that page but that did nothing, tried temporarily un-ticking all seletions-nothing, I tried putting the page on whitelist/filters etc..nothing. Tried temporarily removing Ublock..nothing, I don't know what's blocking everything now..?

And this is weird but I tried on ALL browsers (Chrome,Firefox,IE) and still nothing, all ads are blocked by all browsers, and all browsers have different ad blcoking ad ons so how is this possible..? :/

I just want to turn it off for one page that's all. Can you please tell me how I can do that...
I'm not even sure how the ad blocking got so strong that it's now on all of my browsers, when previously it would not block anything on any browsers..how did that happen..?
Old 05-08-2016, 09:38 PM   #27
Hardware Tech Team

Quote:
Ok, so all seems good...but there is just one page that I would not like any ad blocking to be on. I tried turning off Ublock for just that page but that did nothing, tried temporarily un-ticking all seletions-nothing, I tried putting the page on whitelist/filters etc..nothing. Tried temporarily removing Ublock..nothing, I don't know what's blocking everything now..?

And this is weird but I tried on ALL browsers (Chrome,Firefox,IE) and still nothing, all ads are blocked by all browsers, and all browsers have different ad blcoking ad ons so how is this possible..? :/

I just want to turn it off for one page that's all. Can you please tell me how I can do that...
I'm not even sure how the ad blocking got so strong that it's now on all of my browsers, when previously it would not block anything on any browsers..how did that happen..?
Why in the world would you want to disable ad-blocking on a specific site? If it's one of those sites that complain about you blocking their ads and then deny you access to their content because of that, I'd stay clear of it and find an alternative source. Such sites are malicious and you're gonna end up infected with malware if you aren't careful. There isn't a single security program that's perfect, and it doesn't matter what security measures you put in place if you are going to be the weakest link in the chain. By exempting that site from ad-blocking, you better hope that Avast and/or Malwarebytes will be able to stop whatever malware may be lurking on that site.

Extensions and add-ons do not work outside of the browser for which they're installed. Avast usually installs an ad-blocker for IE, FF and Chrome, and unless you manually remove or disable it on each browser, they'll all have their respective version of it running and blocking ads. That gives you the impression that you have a system wide ad-blocker, but that's not the case, unless you installed a desktop ad-blocking application such as Adguard.

So, if you think you must exempt that site, go ahead and disable Avast browser security extension on Chrome then white list that site on Ublock.
Old 05-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #28
Registered Member

No no, it's just for a Facebook game that's all...it's just so I can play the game etc, you just watch a video and get points etc. it's all within the game.

No, I did not install a desktop ad-blocking app. I just simply removed Winpatrol, SuperAntiSpyware and I ticked off all the 3rd party selections on Ublock Origin that you told me to..so I don't know why all my browsers are acting the same..and have all this blocking power suddenly..I don't know where it's coming from.
That's why I'm wondering if it's something we did..? this started when I ticked off all those 3rd party selections on Ublock origin...but that doesn't make sense either :/

I don't have Avast browser security extension.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:47 AM   #29
Registered Member

Ok, forget the ads! but why is everything being blocked so much? where is that coming from? ...
also, some pages display corrupted icons and images aren't displayed, even in my emails..some of them.
Will re-installing Chrome help? (if I re-installed Chrome, would I lose my bookmarks?)

I posted a screenshot of some corrupted images in my email, this also happens online on some sites.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	090909.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	281289  
Old 05-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #30
Registered Member

Just wanted to show you another example, I was on the Old Navy website for example and this is the screen I got when I went to the shopping cart some stuff is being blocked there too, it's like this a lot on other sites..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3332.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	281385  
Old 05-10-2016, 09:46 PM   #31
Hardware Tech Team

Let's have a look at your hosts file. Open CMD as administrator and run the following command line:

Code:
notepad drivers\etc\hosts
Copy and paste everything from the notepad window to your next reply.

Like I said, browser add-ons/extensions do not work outside of the browser for which they are installed. Did you install an additional firewall or any other program after the thread at the malware removal forum?
Old 05-11-2016, 10:11 AM   #32
Registered Member

Ok, I attached a copy of the results.
No, I did not install anything, I only uninstalled the SuperAntiSpyware and Winpatrol and followed your instructions with the Ublock Origin. I did absolutely nothing else.
I followed all instructions from my malware posts too. Did not install anything.

Yes, I know that extensions from one browser do work on other browsers, I'm just saying that all browsers are behaving the same.

Also, today I got another pop up same as from post #21

I do not care about temporarily unblocking ads anymore, nothing like that.
I just want to make everything work normally.
Attached Files
File Type: txt HOSTS.txt (2.06 MB, 10 views)
Old 05-11-2016, 11:45 AM   #33
Hardware Tech Team

Quote:
Ok, I attached a copy of the results.
No, I did not install anything, I only uninstalled the SuperAntiSpyware and Winpatrol and followed your instructions with the Ublock Origin. I did absolutely nothing else.
I followed all instructions from my malware posts too. Did not install anything.

Yes, I know that extensions from one browser do work on other browsers, I'm just saying that all browsers are behaving the same.

Also, today I got another pop up same as from post #21

I do not care about temporarily unblocking ads anymore, nothing like that.
I just want to make everything work normally.
You're using the MVPS hosts file which explains why ALL browsers are no longer showing ads. The hosts file applies system-wide, but it shouldn't affect the loading of webpages as is the case with Old Navy and other websites. Problems of webpages partially loading could just be a result of internet connection downtime, unless it's only happening on this pc and no other computer/devices on the same network.

As for the popup, Chrome may be broken and extensions (ublock) not working as they should. A reinstall of Chrome may fix it. You will not lose your bookmarks as long as you're signed into Chrome and they are being synchronised, unless that functionality is also not working as it should.

You can manually backup your bookmarks by exporting them to html format that you can import after Chrome is newly installed. Simply open bookmark manager (Ctrl+Shift+O), click Organize and select the export option. When Chrome is newly installed, use the same menu and select import.

If sync is working as expected, you will simply sign into newly installed Chrome and your bookmarks will be synchronized and restored automatically.

Download and install Revo Uninstaller Pro (trial) and use it to thoroughly uninstall Chrome, then install the latest version.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:28 PM   #34
Registered Member

Sorry but I'm not sure what MVPS hosts file is and how I'm using it, what is it?

Loading is fine except on some pages the only problem I have is images are not appearing/are corrupted. Other devices/pc's on this network are good.

Re-installed Chrome..but no change. Everything is still the same.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #35
Hardware Tech Team

Quote:
Sorry but I'm not sure what MVPS hosts file is and how I'm using it, what is it?

Loading is fine except on some pages the only problem I have is images are not appearing/are corrupted. Other devices/pc's on this network are good.

Re-installed Chrome..but no change. Everything is still the same.
You can read more about what the hosts file is and find out more about the MVPS hosts file here. It can be used to block connections to specific websites or servers, but it can also be altered by malware to lead you to malicious sites and cause havoc in your browsing experience and internet access.

Reset your hosts file to its default state and change your DNS server settings to Google

Open Run, type services.msc and check the status of DNS Client service. Make sure it's running and is set to automatic startup. For more details about configuring a system service, go to https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...(v=ws.11).aspx
Old 05-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #36
Registered Member

I don't think I did anything to change my DNS..because I don't know anything about this / will changing it now mess up my internet connection? I know it doesn't say that but in the past if I had a connection error it would always say something about DNS server not being found or something like that..

Ok, so I did "Reset your hosts file to it's default state". At least I hope I did it right, I took a screenshot of the folder to show you, just to make sure everything is correct, because I'v never done this before.
I renamed the hosts to hosts.old and moved the hosts I created from desktop to the folder.

I'm gonna go ahead with step 2. then "Change DNS server settings to Google" is this something I should do on all computers as well..?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hsts.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	281545  
Old 05-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #37
Registered Member

On step 2 of changing the DNS settings, first of all I have Vista, those instructions are for Windows 7,8,10 but I was somewhat able to get into network connections but then it says select the adapter you wish to change... which one do I change?
Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection?

Those are the ones I have, there is a desktop that I have that is connected to Local Area Connection(modem) and it also connects to the Wireless Network connection(Router) to provide wifi for other electronic devices, I am using a laptop that is on wifi router, wireless network connection..

Do I change the wifi one or the other one, or both? :/ and do I have to do this on all computers..? :/
Old 05-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #38
Hardware Tech Team

Quote:
On step 2 of changing the DNS settings, first of all I have Vista, those instructions are for Windows 7,8,10 but I was somewhat able to get into network connections but then it says select the adapter you wish to change... which one do I change?
Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection?

Those are the ones I have, there is a desktop that I have that is connected to Local Area Connection(modem) and it also connects to the Wireless Network connection(Router) to provide wifi for other electronic devices, I am using a laptop that is on wifi router, wireless network connection..

Do I change the wifi one or the other one, or both? :/ and do I have to do this on all computers..? :/
Change DNS settings for the adapter in use; wireless adapter. Google public DNS servers are preferred to ISP DNS servers, and configuring your computer to use them is a common step in troubleshooting Internet connectivity issues. It's a good thing; I wouldn't instruct you to do it if it can cause harm to your system, plus it's not a permanent change, you can always revert it to previous settings if you are uncomfortable with using custom settings.

Change it for the laptop only, it's the one having issues loading some websites and possibly still infected with malware. You mentioned running Malwarebytes and it found infections. What kind of infections did it find; rootkit, Trojan, hacktool, spyware... or just PUPs?
Old 05-17-2016, 06:52 PM   #39
Registered Member

Hi, sorry! I did not get an email about your new post, even though I'm pretty sure I was subscribed, so the whole time I kept waiting for your reply, it's a good thing I came and checked the thread!

Anywho, I changed the DNS to Google.

The only page I seem to have difficulty with is the ON page that I posted about on post #30 still getting the same screenshot, however, if I turn the ad blocker (ublock) off then the page appears normally,...which is odd..so it's as if the ad blocker is causing some issues with the page.

Connection seems fine otherwise...except I was watching a movie on my phone and I got some buffering..which isn't that big of a deal/it happens, but then I got this error that I never got before that said, "There was a problem contacting the network". After that I tried re-starting and playing the movie again and it was fine..but that error..what does it mean? should I be worried about that?

Is there any way to make sure network it's running fine..:/

Movies on my laptop run fine, no problems there.
Old 05-17-2016, 10:16 PM   #40
Hardware Tech Team

Quote:
The only page I seem to have difficulty with is the ON page that I posted about on post #30 still getting the same screenshot, however, if I turn the ad blocker (ublock) off then the page appears normally,...which is odd..so it's as if the ad blocker is causing some issues with the page.
It is odd, since I have no such problem with the site and I use Ublock Origin. Anyway, you can always whitelist or disable Ublock
origin on that site.

Quote:
Connection seems fine otherwise...except I was watching a movie on my phone and I got some buffering..which isn't that big of a deal/it happens, but then I got this error that I never got before that said, "There was a problem contacting the network". After that I tried re-starting and playing the movie again and it was fine..but that error..what does it mean? should I be worried about that?
No need to worry unless it becomes a frequent problem that affects all apps. It simply means the server from which you were streaming the movie could not be reached. It can happen for any number of reasons, including temporary server downtime or heavy load on it.

Quote:
Is there any way to make sure network it's running fine..:/

Movies on my laptop run fine, no problems there.
Your phone and laptop do not match in terms performance, so such differences can be expected. Anything could have interfered with network communications internally on the phone. Such would obviously not affect the laptop or any other computer/device on the same network. Unless connectivity issues are experienced on all devices, the network is working just fine.

It wouldn't hurt to power-cycle (soft reset) your modem and router every once in a while, say at least once every week. You would be surprised how often such a simple action has fixed network connectivity issues.