Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How to get rid of pop ups in Chrome?

SOLVED 
7K views 42 replies 3 participants last post by  Green972 
#1 ·
I have Adblocker installed, I also tried other Chrome extensions like adblocker+pop up blocker, as well as one from other brands and nothing works..I just scanned with SuperAntiSpyware and it showed some problems, trojan, adware/spyware/cookies all under Chrome..

I get a lot of pop ups I'm guessing this is the problem.

Can anyone please recommend me a Chrome extension that stops pop ups?

My Chrome settings are already set to not allow pop ups.

-Thank you

#9 · (Edited)
I'll try uBlock Origin, I had Adblock and Adblock Pro along with another pop up blocker can't remember the name of and they didn't work, I was still getting tons of pop ups and ads as well. But will see how uBlock works..

/just tried it out, still got a few pop ups..I don't know why, is there anything in the settings I should do? I just want no pop ups anywhere on the web...

#11 ·
You mean the Google+ profile? I just tried signing out and ...no pop ups, that's weird, why does that have an effect on the pop ups? :/
But it also signed me out of youtube..is there something wrong with my Google+ profile settings?
I'd like to still be able to be signed in though.. without creating multiple profiles..

#12 ·
No, not your Google+ profile/account, but rather, Google Chrome's user data. The user data is located in the following location: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome inside a folder called User Data. To open this location, type %localappdata%\Google\Chrome in the Run dialog.

#16 ·
Your bookmarks are stored in a file called Bookmarks in the user data location.
- Close Chrome
- Go to the user data location and open the User Data.old folder. Open the Default folder inside it.
- Copy the file named Bookmarks and paste it in the new User Data > Default folder, replacing the existing one.
- Open Chrome and your old bookmarks should all be there.

#17 ·
In the Default folder there are 2 bookmark files, bookmarks and bookmarks.bak I tried copying one and then the other, no change. I seem to have some of my older bookmarks but my newer ones are missing.

Also, weird thing is happening with the ads/pop ups, this morning I turned on my laptop, ads and pop ups everywhere, even places like email and youtube I restarted Chrome, no ads and pop ups...everything was clean.
what the heck...one second they're there and the next they're not. I am still getting them.

#18 ·
Let's put things into perspective so you don't get mixed up:

As a user of Chrome, the browser stores your data in the User Data folder. The name of this folder is self explanatory. Your bookmarks are part of the data stored in there, in a file called Bookmarks inside a subfolder called Default. Whenever you perform actions regarding bookmarks in Chrome, it reads and writes data to the Bookmarks file and when you close Chrome it creates a backup copy of this file. The backup copy is called Bookmarks.bak.

If you copy the Bookmarks file from the old user data folder, User Data.old, to the new user data folder, replacing the existing one, the bookmarks recorded in that file do not appear in Bookmark Manager until you restart Chrome. FIRST close Chrome, copy over the file from the old user data folder into the new one and reopen Chrome. Open Bookmark Manager and your old bookmarks will all be there. Note that only the old bookmarks will be available, i.e those that you had saved before renaming the old user data folder. Any bookmarks that you added AFTER Chrome created the new user folder will not be available because you replaced them ALL with those from the old user folder.

You could have kept both the old and new bookmarks if you hadn't replaced the Bookmarks.bak file as well. You need to follow instructions given here very keenly and if you aren't sure of what to do, seek further assistance BEFORE you do anything else.

Hint:
Chrome has sync functionality through which you can have your browser data, including bookmarks, linked to your Google account. You just need to sign into Chrome and select which data should be synchronized. By default ALL data will be synchronized. Go to Settings and the Sign In option is top on the list, make use of it.

Note:
You will also have to add any extensions from the Web Store that you had added while using the old user data. This means you have to add uBlock Origin or whatever other ad-blocking extension you had added. Again, you need only one ad-blocker. If you're still getting popups and ads despite having an adblocker extension added to Chrome, it's possible there is a similar extension that's conflicting with the adblocker you added, causing it to crash and stop working. Security software such as antivirus and antimalware programs could also be interfering with the adblocker, so tell us what security software you are running. Some antivirus programs install their custom versions of adblock/browser security extensions and these could be interfering with those you add. Such extensions are installed system-wide and are always added even after creating a new user data (profile), unless you disable or remove them.

Let's see a screenshot of Chrome with the popups and ads, and the chrome://extensions page showing the list of extensions and their statuses.

#19 ·
I did follow instructions exactly, copied the bookmarks file only, but when that didn't work I tried the other bak file, and neither of those options worked(so do you want me to remove any files?) , I swear I had more bookmarks then what I'm seeing at the moment..before I was scrolling through a lot and now I don't seem to be scrolling through that many..a couple pages I re-bookmarked but the rest I don't remember what they were exactly.
I guess..nothing too important but still...:/ would re-installing Chrome do anything?

I'm always signed into Chrome. Extensions were gone for a while but then re-appeared just as I was about to re-install them.

I do always have one ad blocker, I'm just not sure why it's working on and off..at times :/

On my computer I am running, Avast, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware(a couple friends of mine said this might be causing problems), CCleaner(I use this just to remove windows back up duplicates nothing else), WinPatrol.

On Chrome my extensions are, WOT, Facebook disconnect, Google docs, Google docs offline, Google sheets, Ublock origin.

#20 ·
I did follow instructions exactly, copied the bookmarks file only, but when that didn't work I tried the other bak file,
My instructions did not mention touching the Bookmarks.bak file.

and neither of those options worked(so do you want me to remove any files?)
No, do not remove any files.

I swear I had more bookmarks then what I'm seeing at the moment..before I was scrolling through a lot and now I don't seem to be scrolling through that many..a couple pages I re-bookmarked but the rest I don't remember what they were exactly.
You're not sharing any screenshots, so I can't see what you're seeing or not seeing. At this point I'm suspecting we are not on the same page and we could be referring to different things.

I guess..nothing too important but still...:/ would re-installing Chrome do anything?
It would if Chrome isn't functioning properly, e.g crashes, fails to read user preferences etc

I'm always signed into Chrome. Extensions were gone for a while but then re-appeared just as I was about to re-install them.
They do reappear if they are among the data that is synchronized with your Google account, as soon as you sign into Chrome. The same should have happened with bookmarks.

I do always have one ad blocker, I'm just not sure why it's working on and off..at times :/

On my computer I am running, Avast, Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware(a couple friends of mine said this might be causing problems), CCleaner(I use this just to remove windows back up duplicates nothing else), WinPatrol.

On Chrome my extensions are, WOT, Facebook disconnect, Google docs, Google docs offline, Google sheets, Ublock origin.
MBAM is enough. Also, use a lot of security software would cause the instability of the system.
tekir06's advice in your thread on the malware removal section says enough. WinPatrol, SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes are all antimalware programs. You need only one to compliment Avast antivirus. Malwarebytes is enough. Your friends are right. Multiple security programs cause more harm than good as they battle for supremacy and ultimate control over your system. WinPatrol could also be blocking browser extensions. You are running too much security.

If you were and still are signed into Chrome and you never changed sync settings, then ALL bookmarks were synchronized with your Google account. Simply signing into Chrome and leaving sync settings in their defaults should have resulted in all your bookmarks and extensions added automatically, regardless of which user data folder is in use.

If you are convinced that recreating the user data folder somehow messed up your bookmarks, you can always revert to the old folder as follows:
- Go to Settings > Show advanced settings > System and uncheck Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed.
- Close Chrome
- Go to %localappdata%\Google\Chrome
- Rename User Data folder to User Data.bak
- Rename User Data.old to User Data
- Open Chrome

Chrome will open and use your original user data folder. All your original bookmarks, extensions, browsing history etc should all be there. Check sync settings and confirm that bookmarks are among the data being synchronized with your Google account.

#21 · (Edited)
Oh, I didn't know that WinPatrol and SuperAntiSpyware were malware protection programs, I was looking at the page on TSF where it had listed all the security programs and antiviruses recommendations and from each section I just picked one, I thought they were for different things because they were all in different categories. I will remove WinPatrol and SuperAntiSpyware right now.

So, an antivirus I guess protects from adware and stuff too.

I received a pop up just mins. ago I took a screenshot of it for you and my extensions page too, but all seemed to be running.

I also went to rename the folder but it wouldn't give me permission, it said you need to confirm the change, and when I clicked continue another pop up said I don't have permission.../I am an administrator on my computer.

Attachments

#22 ·
So, an antivirus I guess protects from adware and stuff too.
Yes, a good antivirus will detect adware as such or as PUP (potentially unwanted program) or PUA (potentially unwanted application). Additionally, there are on-demand scanners dedicated to removing adware, e.g adwcleaner; which you ran in the malware removal thread.

I received a pop up just mins. ago I took a screenshot of it for you and my extensions page too, but all seemed to be running.
That site TVMuse is compromised. It opened a popup, but uBlock Origin blocked it after a couple of seconds. Some of the links on that site are malicious and were blocked by Google Safebrowsing and Avast on my system. Your screenshot has adverts visible to the right as well, so this suggests uBlock is not working as it should and WinPatrol could very well be blocking it.

I also went to rename the folder but it wouldn't give me permission, it said you need to confirm the change, and when I clicked continue another pop up said I don't have permission.../I am an administrator on my computer.
Again, WinPatrol could be blocking manipulation of Chrome's user data folder since it's inside a hidden folder, %localappdata%, or you tried renaming them while Chrome is open/running.

#23 ·
Ok, that worked thank you! now all of my bookmarks are restored and there's so much more than I had before.

I guess WinPatrol was causing problems because I had too many programs installed. Chrome was closed when I was doing it.

Still getting pop ups though, that same one in fact. It pops up and I have to close it myself.
WinPatrol and SuperAntiSpyware have been removed.

#26 ·
Ok, so all seems good...but there is just one page that I would not like any ad blocking to be on. I tried turning off Ublock for just that page but that did nothing, tried temporarily un-ticking all seletions-nothing, I tried putting the page on whitelist/filters etc..nothing. Tried temporarily removing Ublock..nothing, I don't know what's blocking everything now..?

And this is weird but I tried on ALL browsers (Chrome,Firefox,IE) and still nothing, all ads are blocked by all browsers, and all browsers have different ad blcoking ad ons so how is this possible..? :/

I just want to turn it off for one page that's all. Can you please tell me how I can do that...
I'm not even sure how the ad blocking got so strong that it's now on all of my browsers, when previously it would not block anything on any browsers..how did that happen..?

#27 ·
Why in the world would you want to disable ad-blocking on a specific site? If it's one of those sites that complain about you blocking their ads and then deny you access to their content because of that, I'd stay clear of it and find an alternative source. Such sites are malicious and you're gonna end up infected with malware if you aren't careful. There isn't a single security program that's perfect, and it doesn't matter what security measures you put in place if you are going to be the weakest link in the chain. By exempting that site from ad-blocking, you better hope that Avast and/or Malwarebytes will be able to stop whatever malware may be lurking on that site.

Extensions and add-ons do not work outside of the browser for which they're installed. Avast usually installs an ad-blocker for IE, FF and Chrome, and unless you manually remove or disable it on each browser, they'll all have their respective version of it running and blocking ads. That gives you the impression that you have a system wide ad-blocker, but that's not the case, unless you installed a desktop ad-blocking application such as Adguard.

So, if you think you must exempt that site, go ahead and disable Avast browser security extension on Chrome then white list that site on Ublock.

#28 ·
No no, it's just for a Facebook game that's all...it's just so I can play the game etc, you just watch a video and get points etc. it's all within the game.

No, I did not install a desktop ad-blocking app. I just simply removed Winpatrol, SuperAntiSpyware and I ticked off all the 3rd party selections on Ublock Origin that you told me to..so I don't know why all my browsers are acting the same..and have all this blocking power suddenly..I don't know where it's coming from.
That's why I'm wondering if it's something we did..? this started when I ticked off all those 3rd party selections on Ublock origin...but that doesn't make sense either :/

I don't have Avast browser security extension.

#29 · (Edited)
Ok, forget the ads! but why is everything being blocked so much? where is that coming from? ...
also, some pages display corrupted icons and images aren't displayed, even in my emails..some of them.
Will re-installing Chrome help? (if I re-installed Chrome, would I lose my bookmarks?)

I posted a screenshot of some corrupted images in my email, this also happens online on some sites.

Attachments

#31 ·
Let's have a look at your hosts file. Open CMD as administrator and run the following command line:

Code:
[B]notepad drivers\etc\hosts[/B]
Copy and paste everything from the notepad window to your next reply.

Like I said, browser add-ons/extensions do not work outside of the browser for which they are installed. Did you install an additional firewall or any other program after the thread at the malware removal forum?

#32 ·
Ok, I attached a copy of the results.
No, I did not install anything, I only uninstalled the SuperAntiSpyware and Winpatrol and followed your instructions with the Ublock Origin. I did absolutely nothing else.
I followed all instructions from my malware posts too. Did not install anything.

Yes, I know that extensions from one browser do work on other browsers, I'm just saying that all browsers are behaving the same.

Also, today I got another pop up same as from post #21

I do not care about temporarily unblocking ads anymore, nothing like that.
I just want to make everything work normally.

Attachments

#33 · (Edited)
You're using the MVPS hosts file which explains why ALL browsers are no longer showing ads. The hosts file applies system-wide, but it shouldn't affect the loading of webpages as is the case with Old Navy and other websites. Problems of webpages partially loading could just be a result of internet connection downtime, unless it's only happening on this pc and no other computer/devices on the same network.

As for the popup, Chrome may be broken and extensions (ublock) not working as they should. A reinstall of Chrome may fix it. You will not lose your bookmarks as long as you're signed into Chrome and they are being synchronised, unless that functionality is also not working as it should.

You can manually backup your bookmarks by exporting them to html format that you can import after Chrome is newly installed. Simply open bookmark manager (Ctrl+Shift+O), click Organize and select the export option. When Chrome is newly installed, use the same menu and select import.

If sync is working as expected, you will simply sign into newly installed Chrome and your bookmarks will be synchronized and restored automatically.

Download and install Revo Uninstaller Pro (trial) and use it to thoroughly uninstall Chrome, then install the latest version.

#34 ·
Sorry but I'm not sure what MVPS hosts file is and how I'm using it, what is it?

Loading is fine except on some pages the only problem I have is images are not appearing/are corrupted. Other devices/pc's on this network are good.

Re-installed Chrome..but no change. Everything is still the same.

#35 ·
You can read more about what the hosts file is and find out more about the MVPS hosts file here. It can be used to block connections to specific websites or servers, but it can also be altered by malware to lead you to malicious sites and cause havoc in your browsing experience and internet access.

Reset your hosts file to its default state and change your DNS server settings to Google

Open Run, type services.msc and check the status of DNS Client service. Make sure it's running and is set to automatic startup. For more details about configuring a system service, go to https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc755249(v=ws.11).aspx

#36 ·
I don't think I did anything to change my DNS..because I don't know anything about this / will changing it now mess up my internet connection? I know it doesn't say that but in the past if I had a connection error it would always say something about DNS server not being found or something like that..

Ok, so I did "Reset your hosts file to it's default state". At least I hope I did it right, I took a screenshot of the folder to show you, just to make sure everything is correct, because I'v never done this before.
I renamed the hosts to hosts.old and moved the hosts I created from desktop to the folder.

I'm gonna go ahead with step 2. then "Change DNS server settings to Google" is this something I should do on all computers as well..?

Attachments

#37 ·
On step 2 of changing the DNS settings, first of all I have Vista, those instructions are for Windows 7,8,10 but I was somewhat able to get into network connections but then it says select the adapter you wish to change... which one do I change?
Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection?

Those are the ones I have, there is a desktop that I have that is connected to Local Area Connection(modem) and it also connects to the Wireless Network connection(Router) to provide wifi for other electronic devices, I am using a laptop that is on wifi router, wireless network connection..

Do I change the wifi one or the other one, or both? :/ and do I have to do this on all computers..? :/

#38 ·
Change DNS settings for the adapter in use; wireless adapter. Google public DNS servers are preferred to ISP DNS servers, and configuring your computer to use them is a common step in troubleshooting Internet connectivity issues. It's a good thing; I wouldn't instruct you to do it if it can cause harm to your system, plus it's not a permanent change, you can always revert it to previous settings if you are uncomfortable with using custom settings.

Change it for the laptop only, it's the one having issues loading some websites and possibly still infected with malware. You mentioned running Malwarebytes and it found infections. What kind of infections did it find; rootkit, Trojan, hacktool, spyware... or just PUPs?

#39 ·
Hi, sorry! I did not get an email about your new post, even though I'm pretty sure I was subscribed, so the whole time I kept waiting for your reply, it's a good thing I came and checked the thread!

Anywho, I changed the DNS to Google.

The only page I seem to have difficulty with is the ON page that I posted about on post #30 still getting the same screenshot, however, if I turn the ad blocker (ublock) off then the page appears normally,...which is odd..so it's as if the ad blocker is causing some issues with the page.

Connection seems fine otherwise...except I was watching a movie on my phone and I got some buffering..which isn't that big of a deal/it happens, but then I got this error that I never got before that said, "There was a problem contacting the network". After that I tried re-starting and playing the movie again and it was fine..but that error..what does it mean? should I be worried about that?

Is there any way to make sure network it's running fine..:/

Movies on my laptop run fine, no problems there.

#40 ·
The only page I seem to have difficulty with is the ON page that I posted about on post #30 still getting the same screenshot, however, if I turn the ad blocker (ublock) off then the page appears normally,...which is odd..so it's as if the ad blocker is causing some issues with the page.
It is odd, since I have no such problem with the site and I use Ublock Origin. Anyway, you can always whitelist or disable Ublock
origin on that site.

Connection seems fine otherwise...except I was watching a movie on my phone and I got some buffering..which isn't that big of a deal/it happens, but then I got this error that I never got before that said, "There was a problem contacting the network". After that I tried re-starting and playing the movie again and it was fine..but that error..what does it mean? should I be worried about that?
No need to worry unless it becomes a frequent problem that affects all apps. It simply means the server from which you were streaming the movie could not be reached. It can happen for any number of reasons, including temporary server downtime or heavy load on it.

Is there any way to make sure network it's running fine..:/

Movies on my laptop run fine, no problems there.
Your phone and laptop do not match in terms performance, so such differences can be expected. Anything could have interfered with network communications internally on the phone. Such would obviously not affect the laptop or any other computer/device on the same network. Unless connectivity issues are experienced on all devices, the network is working just fine.

It wouldn't hurt to power-cycle (soft reset) your modem and router every once in a while, say at least once every week. You would be surprised how often such a simple action has fixed network connectivity issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.