Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Other Browsers

Getting "Error 7 (net::ERR_TIMED_OUT): The operation timed out."

This is a discussion on Getting "Error 7 (net::ERR_TIMED_OUT): The operation timed out." within the Other Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. None of the websites other than Facebook is having this issue. I see the error in Chrome, "Error 7 (net::ERR_TIMED_OUT):

Old 07-08-2012, 12:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

None of the websites other than Facebook is having this issue. I see the error in Chrome, "Error 7 (net::ERR_TIMED_OUT): The operation timed out." when I try to access https://www.facebook.com. This occurs every now and then, and even if I connect to facebook, the pages load extremely slow.

I use Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1.

When facebook does not load on Chrome, it doesn't load on other browsers either. I tried running Malwarebytes, Virus scanners, but anything that it has picked up didn't fix this issue.

I've installed adblocker as an extension. I've disabled it, uninstalled it, but that didn't improve the issue. Moreover, I'm not sure why adblocker would affect IE anyway if it's a chrome extension.

Any ideas would be nice. Sorry I'm not familiar with what I need to post in order to get help (computer specs, I'm assuming, but I'm not sure what I need to post). Please let me know.

Thanks,
Jackie

Old 07-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Registered Member

This is the exact error I get on Chrome:

Google Chrome could not load the webpage because Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More took too long to respond. The website may be down, or you may be experiencing issues with your Internet connection.

Here are some suggestions:
Reload this webpage later.
Check your Internet connection. Restart any router, modem, or other network devices you may be using.
Add Google Chrome as a permitted program in your firewall's or antivirus software's settings. If it is already a permitted program, try deleting it from the list of permitted programs and adding it again.
If you use a proxy server, check your proxy settings or contact your network administrator to make sure the proxy server is working. If you don't believe you should be using a proxy server, adjust your proxy settings: Go to the wrench menu > Settings > Show advanced settings... > Change proxy settings... > LAN Settings and deselect the "Use a proxy server for your LAN" checkbox.
Error 7 (net::ERR_TIMED_OUT): The operation timed out.

And none of them work.

Also, on IE, I get just a "Diagnose Connection" error, where they try to fix it and then tell me there's nothing troubleshoot can do.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Registered Member

I'm having this exact same problem and cannot figure it out. I registered and was about to make almost the exact same topic since I spent entirely too much time trying to figure out what's wrong.

I'm somewhat knowledgeable about networking stuff (having studied it in college), but what gets me about this is that the problem is intermittent. Sometimes Facebook loads up just fine, other times it gets stuck at "Sending Request..." and never seems to make it. This inability to connect to Facebook will happen for a minute, then stop and be just fine for the next five minutes before happening again.

What confuses me the most is that I can't seem to pinpoint the issue. Another computer on the same LAN doesn't have this problem. The computer with the problem can access the rest of the internet just fine. It's not a browser problem, and it doesn't seem to be an internet security thing either since I disabled AVG temporarily and it still didn't work right. And it can't be a general connectivity issue, because I can ping Facebook continuously with no problem, even while the browser tells me I've timed out and need to reload.

At this point, I don't think I can diagnose the problem further without some suggestions. I've tried googling for an answer, but this forum topic is the only recent thing I've seen that's relevant to my problem.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
Registered Member

Hey Zeekfox, you've explained the situation better than I have, and it's exactly the same thing I've been facing for the past week.

In comparison, I don't use AVG, so AVG wouldn't be the problem. I use Microsoft Security Essentials instead. I've not changed any settings (As far as I know) that would block/allow facebook.com, and I haven't had this problem before.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:59 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yeah, it is good to know that I'm not the only person with this issue.

At some point I thought it might be a firewall issue conflicting with an ad or some other feature that shows some instances but not others. I read somewhere that served ads sometimes trigger that "this page has insecure content" thing with the differences between the https: used by Facebook the http: of the ads. But after messing around with firewalls and such, nothing changed.

I think the next thing I want to do is see if I can figure out where the connection requests are stalling out and/or getting dropped. The fact that I have multiple computers on the same LAN and only one is having this problem leads me to believe it's a local software issue, but I do suppose it's possible I'm hitting some non-local firewall or filter that's catching the IP or Hardware ID of one computer but not the other.

However, using tracert in the command line is about as far as I've gotten in terms of tracking packets and such. And whatever's stopping Facebook access in a browser isn't preventing ping packets. So...hopefully I can get a bit of guidance and direction from someone more experienced with this?
Old 07-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
Registered Member

I'm not sure if this fixes it, but I've tried a lot of things and as of now, the trouble seems to have disappeared.

Things that I've done that possibly could've fixed it... in order of decreasing likelihood
1) I opened command prompt running as administator, then typed the following:
netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
Restarted my computer
2) I opened command prompt running as administator, then typed the following:
ipconfig /flushdns
3) I also realized my svchost.exe was using a lot of my memory (>100 000K), so I disabled Superfetch from Services, which dramatically lowered the amount of memory svchost.exe was using. Not sure if this had anything to do with facebook though.
4) Cleared the Cache/deleted all cookies in Chrome under settings --> advanced settings (scroll to bottom) --> Clear browser data
5) I updated Windows using Windows update (I had ~80 updates that wasn't automatically updated because I didn't have Background Intelligence Transfer Service
6) I downloaded and ran MicrosoftFixit50267, MicrosoftFixit50202, MicrosoftFixit50123
7) I ran MSE and Malwarebyte and Spybot-S&D to clear out any infections.
8) I deleted SuperAntiSpyware
9) I reinstalled Chrome

I'm not sure how many of these things are related but as of now, I'm not having any more problems.

Jackie
Old 07-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
Registered Member

Okay, I've tried some stuff.

I did 1 and 2. That's stuff I've had experience with, but it didn't fix anything.

Tried part of 7 and 8. I was using AVG free 2012, so I removed that and tried MSE. At first I thought it was working okay, but apparently it's still busted.

Can't imagine reinstalling Chrome has anything to do with it since it's happening on all browsers. I've cleared cache before, and again, if it's happening on all browsers, I seriously doubt something got cached on every browser that causes these intermittent outages.

I'll try some of those MS Fixit's though And maybe I'll do #3, though I don't think I have any memory issues going on with that computer. It's got 6 GB of RAM, but then again, some of those flash-based games my mom plays (Farmville, Zoo World 2...) are real resource hogs. However, the hangups can happen attempting to access nothing but Facebook's default page, so the apps themselves don't seem to be the issue. If nothing else, at least an already connected Farmville session continues to run through these Facebook outages, though it will stop the ability to post on the wall.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
Registered Member

I just bought new PC and I get the same problem. I've tried literally everything and no luck. But when I connect my laptop to the same LAN facebook works in every browser.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
Registered Member

I finally solved this annoying problem yesterday... clear all browsing data and then...

I happen to experience your problem but I think it's because of your browser and Facebook itself. Turn off your https:// setting. To do this try to use different PC. Or, on your tablet or mobile phone. Switch it to desktop view first.

1. Go to Account Settings
2. Choose Security tab on the left side
3. Disable the secure browsing

Now try to open facebook,com if it says http://www.facebook.com instead of https://www.facebook.com then you'll be able to view it on your PC now.

Been there done that.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #10
Registered Member

Unfortunately, bigtyivier2k2, I've never had any problems with the secure site before, and it wouldn't make sense that it'd start acting up now, unless you're right that it's Facebook's fault.

In that case, we should just wait until facebook sorts it out.

So far, I have not been having problems anymore WITHOUT switching off secure mode.
Old 07-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
Registered Member

Well I've already had disabled the secure browsing and the problem was still there. But I have to say that since yesterday I can login to fb more often.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
Registered Member

Zeekfox, are you still having trouble? My problems seemed to have disappeared without doing anything other than the stuff I've mentioned already which honestly, I'm not sure if it did anything.
Old 07-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
Registered Member

Uh, I think so, but I haven't yet tried the rest of the steps. The computer I'm trying to fix belongs to my mother, and she's often using it and such.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:59 PM   #14
Registered Member

i have the same issue also and it came out of the blue and it is starting to get me really mad I have tried so many things to fix it and it does nt work is this a facebook or a windows 7 issue
Old 07-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #15
Registered Member

I share the pain of all of you who are having problems with this. My wife is a Farmville player and just recently (last several weeks) began having these same problems. Fixes involving clearing cache, changing non secure to secure, etc. are of no use and don't resolve the problems (although the secure issue might be a possibility, just on the Facebook side). So far, I went through all the troubleshooting steps related to Google Chrome including reinstallation but always came back to the same "intermittent" problem. It seemed as some of you have pointed out that once it becomes a problem in Chrome, other browsers had the same problem accessing even the sign on page for Facebook. I can confirm this. Tried IE and Firefox in addition to Chrome. All shared the same problem. It also occurred from my computer which is on the same home network. I was able to ping the servers but not access using the browser. Tried all the DNS changes (flushing, etc.) including Google's public DNS servers. Ruled out my home network by removing my router and connected her computer directly to the Cable modem. Nothing has helped. To rule out a computer issue, I finally, re-imaged the computer from the backup disks bringing it back to the state it was in several months back, well before any problems occurred. Stayed with IE only so as not to introduce any changes from the day she started with this machine (and to ensure no changes to anything from Chrome, etc.). Still has the same problems even using only IE. All other web sites work fine, speeds are still fine and pingtests show no packet loss or excessive jitter. At this point, I have to assume it is something upstream from my cable modem. That leaves Cox, Facebook, or Zynga. If I had to guess, I'd think some change in Facebook. There may be something on their side they tried that had unintended consequences. If any of you figure it out, let the others know. My wife isn't happy, which of course reduces my joy greatly. :)
Old 08-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #16
Registered Member

Wanted to update this issue. It looks like I have resolved it for me by updating the network card drivers. My problem was the same as others have described... Recent (last month or so) intermittent problems accessing Facebook.com log in page or links from apps in facebook showing webpage unavailable in Google Chrome. Before then no problems. Once the problem occurred, other browsers also had exhibited the same behavior, sometimes.. Windows 7 environment, all updates in place. With or without firewall, with or without Anti Virus. Tried standard procedures related to DNS (flushing, different DNS servers, etc.), re-imaged computer to ensure no internal network structures damaged or browser profile issues, reloaded browsers, tried Chrome in different modes to troubleshoot, cleared cache, cookies, etc... troubleshooted home network, speeds and pings still great, direct line to cable modem from each computer one by one to test...same problem was there. (In retrospect.... I didn't have a wireless computer that was fast enough to test the issue with, but that might have provided some clues.) As part of this troubleshooting process, I checked through network card properties for updated drivers for my network card. The two identical computers showing the problem were purchased in March and a standard update check in the card properties showed that my driver was up to date. However, I followed up with the card manufacturer website and found that they have a driver more current than the one loaded. Once I manually updated the driver, the problems seem to have been resolved. My network card is a Realtek PCIe GBE controller. Again, this may not work for all, since you probably have different network cards, but apparently Facebook changed something in the last month or so that caused an issue with this network card; maybe with yours too. Hope this helps others with this frustrating problem. Good Luck.