Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dunno. IP related?

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  wally246 
#1 · (Edited)
My friend accesses his bank account from home using Firefox with no trouble. He comes to the shop and Chase makes him jump through hoops (call Chase, get security code) which takes a lot of time. We use google Chrome here. So I said I will download Firefox so you can get around that problem. My question is this: if he has Firefox at home and uses Firefox at the shop, wouldn't that change the IP, thus triggering the banks security settings? Does that mean he has to use the same computer at the same location all the time? Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Not necessarily, some folks are assigned 'Dynamic' IP addresses by their IS Providers (A different IP address each time they connect, or reboot their router), which would mean the bank security would be on permanent alarm status.

Most banks just use login passwords - Mine has 2, an 8-digit number and a 5-digit number, entered on 2 separate pages. Also, my 'Mozilla Seamonkey' browser offers to remember any login details, I don't know whether Firefox has that facility or not.

The only thing to remember is that the shop-PC is set to NOT remember any login details (usually a tick-box on the login page) - If the home PC is accessed by your friend alone (or folks he trusts), then the 'Remember me' tick-box can be ticked (if available).

#3 ·
yeah the only thing from using a different computer is it won't have cookies so you need to input information brand new. WereBo is right about the DynamicIP's everyone has one and to get a Static IP you most likely need to buy one (ISP circumstantial) but the bank won't mind and using different browsers won't change your IP address either

#6 ·
My friend accesses his bank account from home using Firefox with no trouble. He comes to the shop and Chase makes him jump through hoops (call Chase, get security code) which takes a lot of time. We use google Chrome here. So I said I will download Firefox so you can get around that problem. My question is this: if he has Firefox at home and uses Firefox at the shop, wouldn't that change the IP, thus triggering the banks security settings? Does that mean he has to use the same computer at the same location all the time? Thanks
I mean't to say that he uses Firefox at home vs Chrome at work> So what you really say is the problem if not the different browsers?

#7 ·
There shouldn't be any problem using either browser anywhere - That's how folks can access their account on their home PC, work PC, laptop and/or cell-phone with no problems.

It's purely for personal security to not have 'public-access' devices remember any login details.

#8 ·
I dunno... Had a credit card site that worked fine in FF. Then suddenly, I try to log in and get a message: "Use IE or Netscape only." Netscape? Jeesch.

I believe many times, it's poor/lazy coding... Not so much on bank sites, but for sure on "home made" sites.

#10 ·
Ahhh right - Is 'Chase' a US specific service for secure online-banking, or part of the Chase Banking service?

I've heard of Chase banking, but have never dealt with them at all - Perhaps your pal could arrange to have a sort of 'dual-access' to his account?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.