Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Internet Browsers and Email > Other Browsers

Chrome just loops and fails to log in to bt email

This is a discussion on Chrome just loops and fails to log in to bt email within the Other Browsers forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a UK Lenovo running the updated version of Windows 10. Google Chrome has recently decided not to log

Old 10-05-2016, 08:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

I have a UK Lenovo running the updated version of Windows 10. Google Chrome has recently decided not to log me into my BT email but signs me in with a correct username and password and then just loops round and round flashing some initializing graphics but doesn't log me in. I can log in using Windows browser, and I can log in using Google chrome on my wife's pc that uses the same internet hub. I am not sure if the problem is with Chrome or my pc.
Robin Howell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

Try clearing up the temp files, cache files, and cookies on the browser and see if that helps.

Download a great program called "CCleaner" = https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download and use this program to clean up the Google Chrome browser temp files, cache files, and cookies and see if this helps.

Hope everything works out well for you.

DBCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:12 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Dan, Thanks a lot for your quick response. I am sorry that it doesn't seem to have worked. In fact I had already cleared all my cookies and that didn't work either. I took your advice, followed your link and downloaded CCleaner. I chose a trial on the pro option since the free one didn't seem to do that much. I was a little concerned initially that it didn't seem to list Google Chrome but I think it did in the options window. Thanks for your advice. I am sorry it didn't seem to make any difference. I won't dump CCleaner for a bit just in case you tell me I didn't ask it to do the right thing. Cheers, Robin
Old 10-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #4
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

Hmmm.....besides logging in onto your e-mail, can you log in onto anything else? If you have let's say an Amazon account, log in onto your Amazon account and see if you're able to log in onto another account.

If you can''t log in onto any of your other accounts, try un-installing and re-installing Chrome and see if that helps.

DBCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:56 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi Dan,
That was quick! Yes, I can log into everything else. I use Amazon, eBay, Paypal and my own website, no problem. And I can get into my BT email using what I guess is internet explorer on the same computer, so I am not stymied. It is just inconvenient.
Oddly, Chrome and internet explorer both tell me they can't access my EE mobile phone account, but I can check my account by texting EE so that is no big deal.
In fact after replying to you I downloaded chrome but I didn't uninstall the existing one first so would it have replaced the existing version or should I have uninstalled it? The only other thing I can tell you is that when I click for my email a little symbol appears in the top address bar which is "manage your passwords" and to the left of it a little incomplete disc symbol with a red cross which when I open wants me to allow the page to set cookies which I do.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #6
Registered Member

Hi Dan, I think I just solved it more by luck than good judgement. After telling you about those little icons in the top right of the address bar I had another go at resetting them. I don't know how it happened but I think I think the sign in cookie thing got itself into "block" rather than "allow" and so everytime chrome tried to sign me in , the sign in cookie was blocked so as soon as it started it stopped hence the "looping". So problem solved and your help turned out to be making me think. Thanks a lot and good luck.