Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

XP security center says Security Essentials is off...

This is a discussion on XP security center says Security Essentials is off... within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Microsoft Security Essentials says it's working and protection is intact. The Security center says it is NOT running, that it

Old 10-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

Microsoft Security Essentials says it's working and protection is intact. The Security center says it is NOT running, that it has reported that it is turned off. I'm not sure where to post this or what to do. Any suggestions?

Operating system is XP with all updates in place including service pack 3. Pentium 4 @ 3.0 1 GIG RAM and 250 GIG hard drive with 75% free space.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #2
Moderator Offline

Hi:

I take it you did try turning on.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:04 AM   #3
Registered Member

Yes... LOL I don't blame you for asking. I shut it down and restarted security essentials. It made no difference. I ran a full scan which showed nothing. I then ran malaware Bytes but the power flashed and I've no idea if the scan completed or not. In checking the log, it looks like it was interrupted so I'll run that again.
Just wondering why there would be a communication problem between the 2 programs.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Moderator Offline

No, MBAM and MSE run fine together on my laptop. MBAM is an on demand scanner, unless you have the paid version.

Run the MBAM scan and let us know.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Registered Member

MBAM found nothing and now security center now shows Security essentials is on. I'll call it a hiccup but have no idea what's changed...
Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
Moderator Offline

That is strange. Keep an eye on it.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Old 10-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
Registered Member

Since this morning I'm getting exactly the same. Found this suggestion elsewhere:

press start > type in the box "services.msc" then press ok

In the list of services, double-click on Windows Management Instrumentation. Click on Stop and then OK.

now Locate the folder C: \ WINDOWS \ system32 \ wbem \ Repository and delete it.

Restart services Windows Management Instrumentation and restart your pc

I tried it but all that happened was that Security Center then said Virus protection was 'not found' instead of 'off' so restored Repository file so now shows as 'off' again.

I'm not too concerned as MSE is clearly running - system tray icon is green and shows 'PC Status: protected' - so it seems that for some reason Security Centre is not recognising MSE.

I wonder if a recent MSE update has caused this?
Old 10-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #8
Registered Member

An update ..... uninstalled MSE & then re-installed & seems to be OK again :)
Old 10-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I don't know if you all are using paid Mbam or Free version but if you are running the paid version, Mbam will freeze up the pc with MSE present, so I am willing to bet there is some side affect from even the free version as well on many pc's. My advice would be to give it up and switch to Avira free which IMHO is much better anyway.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #10
Moderator Offline

Try disabling MBAM first, right click on the icon in your task bar first and select Exit.

See if it is the cause of your problem.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Old 10-07-2012, 04:17 AM   #11
Registered Member

I'm glad to know it's not just me and my PC doing this. Thanks Les.
This is an intermittent problem and has happened a few times now for no rhyme or reason that I know of. Today it's fine, yesterday the alert was there. Guess I'll trust MSE and wait for the update to cure it...
Old 10-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #12
Moderator Offline

Just FYI on Avira and MBAM:

I reloaded Avira last night and Avira is reporting that I need to remove MBAM as it will conflict with Avira. To avoid this possible conflict I went back MSE.

It what ways or how I don't know. I have not noticed any problems.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Old 10-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

I see that often with Avira and have never paid any attention to it and never had an issue on client pc's either. Now remember I am only referring to XP here, not Vista or 7. I actually have given up totally on MSE though between failed updates on occasion, the length of time install and update takes (again especially on an older pc). I just find it poor as software in general.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #14
Registered Member

I am using the free version of MBAM, as you mentioned, an on demand scan. Today there's no problem.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #15
Registered Member

I disabled my MBAM restarted my computer installed a free version, restarted now I have 2 versions if 1 version goes bust. Always thinking.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #16
Moderator Offline

Not a good idea to install 2 versions of the same program.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Old 10-16-2012, 03:58 AM   #17
Registered Member

Just a note on this, my second computer, a Windows 7 machine running McAfee has also intermittently reported that virus protection and firewall are off. But it happens for just a short time and fixes itself even though McAfee says it's running and I never turn my firewall off.
To be honest, I have no clue what these 2 PC's have in common other than documents and pictures that I have created. The only common programs in both machines are licensed versions of things like Microsoft Office, MBAM and so on.