Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

Vista security alerts 'flash' in system tray

This is a discussion on Vista security alerts 'flash' in system tray within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have been getting security alerts flashing in the system tray. The alert pops up and disappears before I can

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have been getting security alerts flashing in the system tray. The alert pops up and disappears before I can read any information. This occures repeatedly. In addition a couple of the standard gadgets (weather and calendar) in the sidebar don't seem to work properly anymore. Finally, IE9 seems to regularly have problems loading pages - taking extremely long time or requiring second attemps or refreshes to load. I don't know if these are independent issues or possibly related.

My OS is Vista SP2, the browser is IE9 and I use automatic update so programs/patches are updated regularly. I'm using ESET NOD32 antivirus and recent scans do not identify any issues. Last week it identified and quarantined "a variant of Java/TrojanDownloader.OpenStream.NBF trojan" during an on-demand scan. I will also run MalwareBytes scans regulary - no issues identified. I have SpywareBlaster installed and update fairly regularly.

The sloweness of the browser seems to have been worse since I installed a WD external drive and the WD SmartWare backup program (about two weeks ago).

Not sure if anyone may have some advice but the flashing security alert has me concerned that I've got some malware the antivirus programs don't identify.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Hi, is the alert coming from a program calling itself "Vista Security"? Or is it coming from the Windows Action Center?

Check if there are any error messages in the Action Center:
Start > Control Panel > System and Security > Action Center
For malware removal assistance, please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

After running through all the steps, please post the requested logs in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum, not here.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Right click the security alert icon that looks like a red shield in your taskbar and click "open security center". Once this is opened it will list anything that needs addressing (and is causing your random alerts) in red. If it is warning you about not having virus or spyware protection when in fact you do, it might just be that Vista does not recognize those programs. In that you can click "change the way security center alerts me" and can turn off the security alert messages. Don't be worried that Vista is seeing malware that your other programs are not picking up. Vista does not scan for and cannot detect malware. It only detects and alerts you if you do not have a current antivirus and/or anti-spyware program running on your computer. It will also alert you if you do not have a firewall (either the one built into Windows or a third party firewall) installed or if you do not have automatic updating enabled.

As for things working slowly, do you have a 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows Vista? How much RAM do you have? Insufficient RAM can of course cause things to run slowly. Also, does your new external backup drive you installed automatically back up your computer? If it does that could be another reason your computer seems to be running sluggish. I'd also recommend opening up a command prompt and running "chkdsk /f /r" to check your HDD and then also running "sfc /scannow" to make sure no Windows Vista files are corrupted. Good luck!
Old 05-16-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks. I'll try that forum if things continue.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:06 PM   #5
Registered Member

I can't right click the red security shield as it never stays on screen long enough to do so. I did open the security center and watched it for a while. The 'flashing' warning appears in the malware section. I know I have ESET loaded and it appears to be running so not sure what the bug may be.

I have a 32 bit version of Vista and 2GM RAM. I may try uninstalling the automatic backup program that came with the external disk drive to see if that helps.

Tried running the command prompt items you noted and couldn't get either to run. I apparently need elevated privileges. Seems odd as I believe I'm signed on as the adminstrator. Windows Help suggests that I should open Command Prompt from the Start Button search list using a right click and picking the "run as administrator" option, but that is not an option presented when I do the right click.

Thanks for offering the suggestions and if you can assist any further it's much appreciated.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

When you open the Security Center, are there any outstanding issues displaying? Press the Arrow on the Tab of each section to display any issues.

This would usually display the error message as a constant problem, rather than a flashing problem. In your case, does this also display in the Windows Security Center as a flashing temporary error message?
Old 05-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
Registered Member

When I open the Security Center no outstanding issues are initially or steadily displayed. If I leave it open the Malware protection section will change to red briefly (so brief that I can't read the message) and revert back to green. When I expand the section using the expansion arrow, initially all looks fine. After a short time the section will contract again. I think this is triggered by the same thing that causes it to flash red and briefly expand when I haven't used the expansion arrow.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:02 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Hi, please follow the instructions below.

For malware removal assistance....

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

After running through all the steps, please post the requested logs in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum, not here.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks. I've now posted this to recommended forum.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #10
Moderator Offline

Since you posted Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum, I will close this post.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Closed Thread