Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

Trusteer Endpoint Protection

This is a discussion on Trusteer Endpoint Protection within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My bank offered me this while I do online banking, can anyone tell me if it's an effective and worthwhile

Old 09-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

My bank offered me this while I do online banking, can anyone tell me if it's an effective and worthwhile addition to my system?

Are there better solutions to ensure my online banking is more secure and passwords?
-WOLF- is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

The "offer" might have something to do with IBM buying Trusteer.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Corday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Well, Trusteer Rapport was their previous offering (and offered by many banks), I guess it provided some added protection - it was also prone to being somewhat problematic to the point of being implicated in, if not triggering, a good number of BSODs. I think it was fine on the majority 'standard' machines, running 'standard' drivers and software - we know how much people like to tweak their Personal Computers though!

I'd opt out for the moment and wait a few months for them to get any teething problems sorted (or aired in public). It could be that it's only a rename of Rapport. I'll dig into it, grab a trial/freebie, if I can, and see how it compares.

After a quick dig, it looks like 'Endpoint Protection' is an active part of Rapport: Trusteer Endpoint Protection Browser Protection Dialog | Trusteer

So, if you class your computer as pretty normal or average, it's probably worth giving it a try if you must use a Windows PC for banking. If you think it falls outside of that classification, it would be a little more risky to use it, imo. Rapport is improving though, it's been around for several years now and their tech ream seem to be pretty good and active.

EDIT: Better choices? How about a Linux Live distro without mounting the internal PC drives?

Definitely nothing with Java installed and active in the browser!
Old 09-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrow View Post
Well, Trusteer Rapport was their previous offering (and offered by many banks), I guess it provided some added protection - it was also prone to being somewhat problematic to the point of being implicated in, if not triggering, a good number of BSODs. I think it was fine on the majority 'standard' machines, running 'standard' drivers and software - we know how much people like to tweak their Personal Computers though!

I'd opt out for the moment and wait a few months for them to get any teething problems sorted (or aired in public). It could be that it's only a rename of Rapport. I'll dig into it, grab a trial/freebie, if I can, and see how it compares.

After a quick dig, it looks like 'Endpoint Protection' is an active part of Rapport: Trusteer Endpoint Protection Browser Protection Dialog | Trusteer

So, if you class your computer as pretty normal or average, it's probably worth giving it a try if you must use a Windows PC for banking. If you think it falls outside of that classification, it would be a little more risky to use it, imo. Rapport is improving though, it's been around for several years now and their tech ream seem to be pretty good and active.

EDIT: Better choices? How about a Linux Live distro without mounting the internal PC drives?

Definitely nothing with Java installed and active in the browser!
Thank you.

I never run with Java, I try to limit Java anywhere I can. I do normally use my Ubuntu for a lot of browsing, that's good enough right?

I think I'll keep Trusteer on - it helps keep my passwords for other sites more secure so I think I like it.
-WOLF- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

Ubuntu should be good enough (caveats about wireless/Java/Flash/ any of the 'usual' suspects) but the important thing about the Live distro with no auto-loading of storage drives is that nothing is stored, ie., if one session is somehow intercepted, no malware could be stored to auto-boot, with the (unlikely atm) exception of some firmware/BIOS attack.