Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

Trojan quarantined, now what?

This is a discussion on Trojan quarantined, now what? within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I apologize if this has been covered (and I'm sure it has) but I ran a search and didn't find

Old 02-13-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
Registered Member

I apologize if this has been covered (and I'm sure it has) but I ran a search and didn't find an answer.

I just ran a full system scan with McAfee and it found a Trojan file that it quarantined. What do I do now?

I don't have much computer knowledge, which is to say I can surf the web and use the control panel in Windows and that's about it, and I'm concerned that leaving this file in quarantine may not be enough to ensure my computers safety. Please help!

Old 02-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #2
Registered Member

try to note down the name of the quarantined trojan and do a google search. Sometimes the results may give you more information on the trojan itself and can possibly help you to find a solution.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:49 AM   #3
Retired Mod.

im not 100% sure on this, but think as your computer as a city, there is civilans, which are your programs, crimnal which are malware and such, and cops which are antivirus, the cops did the search of this town(your comp) found the virus, killed or put him in jail. so basically a quartined item is pretty much...dead. also if you have mcafee and wish to remove it... open mcafee...then u see on the bottom like big rectablge buttons, home,rep[orts and logs etc, click restore...(make sure ur on advanced menu)then u see two files, programs and cookies and files, click files find the trojan now u can restore,remove, and send to mcafee, you should send to mcafee then remove :D.

P.S, if i wasnt clear ill just post some screenshots if you wish...
Old 02-14-2009, 08:11 AM   #4
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

The quarantined file is no longer a danger and can be deleted, but depending on how long ago the trojan was activated, it could have replicated by now and created other infections. If McAfee has found one trojan, it's possible that you might have other infections that it hasn't detected.

Please follow these instructions and start a new thread in the Virus/Trojans/Spyware forum where an analyst will help you as soon as possible.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Registered Member

I downloaded DDS and opened the file only to have to screen with the black background and instructions open and nothing else happened. I guess I need to disable my script blocker. Can anyone tell me how, he he.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koala View Post
The quarantined file is no longer a danger and can be deleted, but depending on how long ago the trojan was activated, it could have replicated by now and created other infections. If McAfee has found one trojan, it's possible that you might have other infections that it hasn't detected.

Please follow these instructions and start a new thread in the Virus/Trojans/Spyware forum where an analyst will help you as soon as possible.
True... i test AV effectivity by copying files to ma pendrive and scan it with Kasperky and bit defender.... Extreme scan results frm both AV....