Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

too many processes??

This is a discussion on too many processes?? within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i have about 50 processes running even when i have no programs open. some are even on there twice, and

Old 12-07-2005, 04:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

i have about 50 processes running even when i have no programs open. some are even on there twice, and when i delete them they just move to the top of the list. Are these any to be worried about: msmsgs.exe, motmon.exe, schwiconEM.exe, svchost.exe, or spoolsv.exe?

Old 12-07-2005, 04:12 PM   #2
Registered Member

spoolsv.exe is a Microsoft Windows system executable which handles the printing process to your local printers. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

vchost.exe is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

otmon.exe is a process by Motive Communications which allows a user to submit files to the Internet. This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling this is down to user preference

msmsgs.exe is Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger.

Hmm... Theses processes are fine if you see the descriptions...

Yeah but, is you're computer running slowly than before? Anything similar to that?

Old 12-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

***--are u kidding me
Old 12-07-2005, 04:20 PM   #4
Registered Member

*** what?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:23 PM   #5
Registered Member

Yeah, so, if you're computer's running slow, do an Anti-Virus scan! Reccommend AVG Free for a see! http://free.grisoft.com
And a spyware check! www.majorgeeks.com have a look for some Anti-Spywares! Such as, Spyware Doctor, Ad-Aware etc.

Hmm... Sounds like a Virus, my mother had one of those problems... It was a virus, a really bad one... So, make sure you have a check up on you're computer! Virus Scan, and Anti-Spyware scan!

Good Luck!
Old 12-07-2005, 04:25 PM   #6
Registered Member

nvm- i thought u meant u lived in my comp!! dude, my comp. is messin up.. under my system information, all my stuff is being changed as we speak. what do i have?
Old 12-07-2005, 04:32 PM   #7
Registered Member

Yeah lol...

What Anti-Virus do you have? Or Anti-Spyware? I think you should do a scan and either/aswell do HijackThisLog

download HijackThis and so a system scan then save the log and copy all the text and paste in a new post!
thanks

http://www.hijackthis.de/hijackthis_199.zip
Old 12-07-2005, 04:35 PM   #8
Registered Member

im running xoftspyware, i have norton 06
Old 12-07-2005, 04:41 PM   #9
Registered Member

ok, did you do a scan? Update the programs? Do a HijackThis Log File, dont worry, it wont harm you're computer unless you press wrong things! ;)

Download: http://www.hijackthis.de/hijackthis_199.zip

Next, open the program, then click Do a system scan only
After, save the log file anywhere, and then it shall open a .txt file of you're log, COPY ALL of your log file, [the text] then post in the thread!

Good luck!
Old 12-07-2005, 05:01 PM   #10
Registered Member

Affiliated with Browser Hijackers C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\6P5U72P4\728x90_rhyme_smileycentral[1].swf Elevated
Affiliated with Browser Hijackers C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8DQBWTUN\728x90_say-some_smileycentral[1].swf Elevated
Affiliated with Browser Hijackers C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\YZOFFWD4\728X90_smiley-sound[1].swf Elevated
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@cs.sexcounter[2].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@counter6.sextracker[2].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@edge.ru4[2].txt Medium
Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@advertising[2].txt Low
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@cgi-bin[2].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@cz7.clickzs[2].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@free.wegcash[2].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@ford.112.2o7[2].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@ehg-dig.hitbox[2].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@rsi.smartmoney[1].txt Medium
Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@server.iad.liveperson[1].txt Low
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@abcnews.go[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@questionmarket[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@spylog[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@cz11.clickzs[2].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@sexlist[1].txt Medium
Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@infospace[1].txt Low
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@realmedia[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@sales.liveperson[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@rsi.abc.go[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@tribalfusion[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@bluestreak[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@ehg-bestbuy.hitbox[1].txt Medium
Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@statcounter[1].txt Low
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@2o7[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@abc.go[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@zedo[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@ehg.hitbox[2].txt Medium
Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@z1.adserver[1].txt Low
Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@fastclick[1].txt Low
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@sextracker[1].txt Medium
Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@ads.addynamix[2].txt Low
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@www.burstbeacon[2].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@counter3.sextracker[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@atdmt[2].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@counter16.sextracker[2].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@gateway.122.2o7[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@counter2.hitslink[2].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@msnportal.112.2o7[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@statse.webtrendslive[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@rsi.abcnews.go[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@counter12.sextracker[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@hitbox[1].txt Medium
Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@30322322[1].txt Low
Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@burstnet[2].txt Low
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@74613876[2].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@adrevolver[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@adrevolver[2].txt Medium
eXact Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@trafficmp[2].txt Elevated
Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@ads.pointroll[1].txt Low
Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@mediaplex[1].txt Low
Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@casalemedia[1].txt Low
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@adknowledge[2].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@smartmoney[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@atwola[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@twci.coremetrics[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@tradedoubler[2].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@bizrate[1].txt Medium
Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@overture[1].txt Low
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@ehg-playboy.hitbox[2].txt Medium
Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@centrport[2].txt Low
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@go[2].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@bfast[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@citi.bridgetrack[1].txt Medium
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@stat.onestat[2].txt Medium
Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@doubleclick[1].txt Low
Rogue Anti-Spyware Products C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@www.affiliatesuccess[2].txt High
Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@perf.overture[1].txt Low
Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@data4.perf.overture[2].txt Low
Tracking Cookie(s) C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@counter4.sextracker[1].txt Medium
Advertising C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Cookies\owner@49091238[2].txt Low
Common Components for Dialers C:\WINDOWS\pcconfig.dat Elevated
Old 12-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #11
Registered Member

ok, i think you didnt really do it correctly? Did you copy the whole text file?

If you didnt please do!

Thanks
Old 12-07-2005, 05:10 PM   #12
Registered Member

ok man, im gonna' go sleep. I'll be on in about 19 hours lol!

School and stuff.
Im sure the other guys will help you!

Good Luck!