Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] UAC Is Back With A Vengence!

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  likekinds 
#1 · (Edited)
I keep Windows Firewall turned on.
I keep Windows Defender turned on.
I have an excellent antivirus with real time protection.
I use the most highly recommended anti-malware.
I keep my browser set to warn me of suspicious or dangerous sites.
I use no toolbars
No one has access to my computer other than myself.

With Ghostery, I have
652 advertising elements blocked
248 analytics elements blocked
18 privacy elements blocked
282 trackers elements blocked
149 widgets elements blocked
1350 3pes blocked

With SpyBot SD, I am immunized against connections to over 200,000 malicious sites.

With Better Privacy, I am protected against LSOs.

I regularly (and independently) run scans with updated versions of Avast!, Mbam, and SuperAntiSpyware.

Should I need them, I am prepared to use updated versions of TDDS killer, Combofix, Gmer and Hijack this.

With the above in mind, I choose not to have UAC turned on. These configurations have worked well for several years.

Lately, I've had the UAC warning baloon pop up several times throughout the day, even though I have selected 'Don't notify me and don't display the icon'.

I once had an optional Windows update knock out my sound, completely. I had to uninstall that update to get my sound back. Since that time, I always review updates before installation to make sure that same one isn't installed again.

My questions are:

1. Has one of the recent Windows updates configured my settings so that it is more difficult to disable the UAC warning baloon? Either yes or no, how can I disable it? (I don't need to be reminded that doing so will render my computer somewhat less secure (according to MS)).

2. Windows says that Automatically installing updates can enhance (enhance?) the security and performance of my computer. How can this be when, after reviewing, I still install all available updates except the one that knocked out my sound?

3. I am using Avast! anti-virus. It has provided much more protection than MSE ever did. Why can Windows not find Avast! on this computer.

4. According to Nvidia, my display software is up to date. Why would Windows keep offering an update that dates back to April 2009? Whatever the reason, the update always fails.

In addition, I use Secunia to keep me abreast if all software updates.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: UAC Is Back With A Vengence!

Thanks for the referral and link, Joe. A lot of heavy reading, there. More than what I could absorb. Perusing, I didn't find anything I thought would apply to my particular issues.

As you can see in the attached pictures, I was getting more and more permission denials. Several were types I had never seen before. I felt I had no choice but to do a clean install. So, I did.

I knew I could get all my old files from Windows Old, but before doing a reinstall, I wanted to copy them to an EX HD, just to be on the safe side. I was even denied permission to copy many folders to the EX HD!

One of the first things I did after the reinstall, was to turn off UAC and requested that I not be notified with a balloon warning. My request was honored. No UAC, no balloon warnings, no permission denials. YEAH!

Other first things I did was to install SP1 and SP2. I will gradually add Windows Security updates, taking note as to whether a particular one will deny me the option to keep UAC turned off without having to see that balloon all the time.

I have fought this permissions issue for several months, now. If it returns at some future date, I will do a reinstall in a skinny minute. This reinstall was a breeze, especially since I already had SP1 and SP2 downloaded from some time back.

Thanks again, Joe

Attachments

#5 ·

You're right, Joe. I think this is my fourth thread asking for help with this problem. I have been advised to use 'Grant Admin Full Control'. It never worked. I have used 'Take Ownership'. It worked, but only part of the time.

Changing Permissions, Special Permissions and changing Access Control and Permissions is not an easy task. I've read at least twenty articles on the subject and still never get it right (not sure Einstein would).

I am happy with my decision to reinstall. This old Vista is running smoothly on all cylinders, and so far there have been no UAC or Permissions issues.

As usual, I always appreciate your help.

Thanks, Joe.

#6 ·

Should I need them, I am prepared to use updated versions of TDDS killer, Combofix, Gmer and Hijack this.
As stated in the disclaimer you have to pass when running ComboFix, it is not intended for unsupervised use.

As stated by the author of ComboFix:

ComboFix is a very powerful tool which when improperly used may render your machine to a doorstop.

------------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.