Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

[SOLVED] Registry entry (is it malicious?)

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Registry entry (is it malicious?) within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi I have a entry in my registry that seem s suspicous: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\HAL\CStateHacks Should I delete that or is this

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
chin

hi I have a entry in my registry that seem s suspicous:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\HAL\CStateHacks

Should I delete that or is this nothing? Do any of you have this entry in your registry?

thanks

Old 03-30-2007, 04:10 PM   #2

i have it. And i am sure I am clean :)

Old 03-31-2007, 12:42 AM   #3
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

As far as I can tell, it's safe and is part of the Hardware Abstraction Layer, which is used by Windows to allow software to communicate with your hardware.

btw, it's not a good idea to delete entries in the registry without being absolutely sure of what you're doing. Also, remember to make a backup before making any registry changes.
Old 03-31-2007, 09:16 AM   #4
chin

i was wondering since the word hacks was used, thats not something I see in the registry usually when im poking around, scared me a bit

Old 11-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #5
Registered Member

I thought something like that, but it wasn't really the "hacks" that brought me to inquire upon it. When I saw the "HAL" part, I immediately thought "Open the pod bay doors."
Old 11-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
Moderator Offline

JMtB03 welcome to TSF

If you have a question please start your own thread.

This almost 6 year old thread is closed.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Closed Thread