Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

[SOLVED] PUP.Software.Updater: What is it and should I remove it?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] PUP.Software.Updater: What is it and should I remove it? within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I ran Malwarebytes on a computer and there are about 8 items; 2 files and 6 Registry Keys, that say

Old 07-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #1
Registered Member

I ran Malwarebytes on a computer and there are about 8 items; 2 files and 6 Registry Keys, that say the vendor is PUP.Software.Updater. Is it safe to remove these from the computer. I have done so in the past and haven't had any negative results, but just checking to make sure.

thank you.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

It should be safe to do so, yes - but further details are needed to find out exactly what software they belong to. Also, uninstalling the software is better than removing parts of it; re-run Malwarebytes again after the uninstall and a reboot to ensure all parts are removed.

If you've removed exactly the same in the past, do they belong to a software you intentionally downloaded/used? If not, I would advise a full Malware checkup: NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

Looking at the 'Software.Updater' part of the descriptor, I can only think of 2, maybe 3 software updaters that I would class as reasonably safe and effective (I use Secunia PSI: Free Computer Security - Personal Software Inspector (PSI) - Secunia); there are probably others that are 'copycat' of those or are less-well written/designed and/or come with 'piggyback' software or are from a disreputable company.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

thanks. I'll do what you suggest.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Registered Member

I ran the Malwarebytes program a 2nd time and it detected no other viruses and the computer is now running much faster. I will perform a defrag and that should about do it. I have also uninstalled all the toolbars and other "crapware" found. thanks again for the assistance.