Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

Problems Downloading Free Antivirus

This is a discussion on Problems Downloading Free Antivirus within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, After my computer kept freezing and needing to be turned off I used the 'restore' wizard to bring it

Old 01-24-2009, 06:42 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, After my computer kept freezing and needing to be turned off I used the 'restore' wizard to bring it back to a previous date - unsure/can't remember (after hours of trying to make it 'go') what I did to get the problem originally which had caused this. Since doing this I have opened up a can of worms and just keep going from bad to worse! I have gone into this System Restore and used various dates to 'Undo' but still find that the antivirus I was using - Antivirus Avira PE Classic (Free) will not allow me to use it any more. It told me I needed to activate it but on doing this it just took me to the 'Help' button giving no more information of use. I tried to delete this (and it is not showing in the programs) but icons still exist on the desktop. I then tried to download it again from their web site but it will not do so. I get a box with the message "CCPLG.XML Unable to find file (c:) Program Files Avira/AntiVir Personal Edition Classic/ccplg.xml." I also keep getting a box headed "RUNDLL An exception occurred while trying to run "Shell32.dll,control-RunDLL wscul.cpl" this is obviously blocking any further progress and stopping further download installations I think. What is going on and how can I repair this problem?

Although I was happy with Avira, as I can't seem to download this and all other sites offering 'Free' Downloads for Antivirus appear to be chargeable (why is this?), can anyone recommend a good FREE antivirus download site I can use or tell me why I am getting this 'RUNDLL exception occurred' box which seems to be the problem stopping me activating the antivirus program as this pops up every time I try to activate it?

Old 01-24-2009, 06:52 AM   #2
Registered Member

Sounds like you may have deleted one to many files. In Add/Remove programs be sure Avira is uninstalled. Then try installing again. If you are able to reinstall don't register with Avira. Any errors in device manager? Do you have your operating system disk?

Old 01-24-2009, 07:19 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi Nexxtech, thanks for your reply but as mentioned Avira was deleted from the Add/Remove programs and I did try to install it again but got these problems as mentioned. I don't know if I have any errors in the device manager and wouldn't know how to find this or even if it would help. Unfortunately, I don't have an operating system disk.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Registered Member

Start menu>Control panel>Performance and maintenance>System>Hardware>Device manager. Any other issues with your OS? In my opinion you are missing Window's files. This is not my best area of knowledge, although I think you need to reinstall your OS. I would find a legitimate XP OS system disk. This could be a Trojan related issue. These files you mention are probably best explained by one of the Microsoft Techs on TSF. Best of luck with this.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #5
Management Team, Security Center & TSF Academy
Expert Analyst, Moderator, Security Team
Rangemaster, Moderator, TSF Academy

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Quote:
"RUNDLL An exception occurred while trying to run "Shell32.dll,control-RunDLL wscul.cpl"
More likely this:

wscui.cpl

Which is Windows Security Center. Some dll files may simply be unregistered or registered in a corrupt way, or there may be other OS corruption.

I agree with Nexxtech in that this machine may be a candidate for a least a repair install. All the changes, system restores, undo's, may have left the machine in a somewhat confused state. Answers to those questions will be better asked in our Windows XP support forum. The staff and members in that area will be better able to assist you with that.

Just as an FYI, Avira has a manual removal procedure outlined at their support forum, here:

http://www.avira.com/en/support/kbdetails.php?id=135

Also, with regards to the Avira error, according to this post

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php...897#post727897

Quote:
This error appears after you restored a System Restore entry (using System Restore to uninstall AntiVir is not recommended and can only be used as a last solution).

tetonbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
Registered Member

Hi Bob, thanks for your knowledge. I went onto Avira web site, did all they asked (well almost as it didn't run to plan really) and tried to uninstall anything left of Avira as the program still seemed to be showing within the control panel programs and I deleted loads of individual files whilst being taken through the process with Avira but once again it didn't seem to do the trick. Avira mentioned also to use their Registry cleaner, which I did and which appeared on my desktop but not only can I not download Avira or any other antivirus program but I can't even download their Registry Cleaner or make that go. It seems that my 'download' is just out of action to everything! I am Dooooomed!!!
By the way, I think the computer has even given up showing me the error 'exception occurred RUNDLL Shell 32' box now which it used to do every time I turned the computer on. Sue
Old 01-27-2009, 05:35 PM   #7

Is the lack of download function limited to security sites/applications? What happens when you try to download something? What browser are you using, Internet Explorer? Do you have a secondary browser (Firefox, Opera, etc...)? Does the same thing happen when you try to download something with it?

Old 01-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
Registered Member

Hi Bob, thanks for your reply. Yes, the same thing happens with Internet Explorer (I have just tried) although I usually use Mozilla Firefox as my browser.

It seems it is not only the antivirus downloads but as mentioned it happened on the Registry Cleaner Avira recommended to use and I couldn't use that to complete the task so I think it is all downloads - I tried to install it again with Internet Explorer and all that happens is I just get taken back to the same page again I was with before I pressed the download button.

Strangely though, I had Spybot Search and Destroy already on the system and that seems to be functioning O.K. and in fact I was given a download from them and it seemed to get downloaded O.K. and do the job.
Regards
Sue
Old 01-28-2009, 05:25 PM   #9

Well, I think you have a couple options, both of which require posting in other sections of the forums.

Either there's an infection blocking specific downloads, which would require you to follow these steps...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs.

After running through all the steps, please post the requested logs in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum, not here.

Those steps...yes, they require downloading tools. If you cannot do so on the affected machine, you'll need to use another machine and a USB stick drive, to transport tools to the affected machine.

=======================

Or....the OS is corrupted, and you'd be better off seeking help in the Windows XP section of the forum.