Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Preparing to get rid of desktop

2K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  Nikeman123 
#1 ·
Since I no longer use my desktop I am planning to sell it to get it out of my room. I have done the free Windows 10 update and obviously I do not have a backup cd. Nor do I have a windows 7 cd. How can I safely and completely clean my hard drive so any potential buyer won't be able to see personal information I have used in the past? I'd like to keep windows 10 also.

I do not need to save anything on that computer. I have already backed up the important stuff.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I can tell you all the steps, but to be honest, you can't really be totally safe without removing the OS too. You could just download a version of Linux after reformatting or if you still have the Recovery Partition (usualy D:), use that to Windows 7 and either upgrade to 10 or leave it to the buyer.

#5 ·
You have to have an activated version of Windows 7 or 8 to actually download a bootable version of Windows 10 free. Don't you have a sticker on the tower with Windows 7 coa? If yes you can download Windows 7 from Microsoft and then do free upgrade to Windows 10.

#10 · (Edited)
As you have already upgraded, you should be able to re-install windows 10 from the MediaCreation tool
Also - with the new version of the mediacreation tool - you are supposed to be able to enter a valid windows 7 key (on the CoA Label) rather than the need to upgrade

you can download the tool from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
and create a bootable windows 10 DVD from the ISO

I have not tried myself, and the ISO to allow keys to be entered from W7/8/8.1 has only just been re-released this week

read the section on the link above

Perform a clean installation using a USB or DVD

#11 ·
As you have already upgraded, you should be able to re-install windows 10 from the MediaCreation tool
Also - with the new version of the mediacreation tool - you are supposed to be able to enter a valid windows 7 key (on the CoA Label) rather than the need to upgrade

you can download the tool from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
and create a bootable windows 10 DVD from the ISO

I have not tried myself, and the ISO to allow keys to be entered from W7/8/8.1 has only just been re-released this week

read the section on the link above

Perform a clean installation using a USB or DVD
I am making an ISO on a USB drive as I type this from the link you provided. I guess I will just follow the steps from here and cross my fingers for a smooth process!!

Thanks and I'll let you know if I need more help:smile:

#12 ·
I have created the USB drive and booted from it. Now it's showing me 4 partitions and asking me which one I want to use. Should I delete them all to clear off my hardrive?

Here's what they are called.
1. System
2. Os
3. Clear (oem reserved)
4. Hp_recovery

Maybe there's another step before reinstalling windows 10? Just want to be sure everything is cleaned off this computer.

#15 ·
I read that thread but I'm still confused. If I leave the oem partition would a potential buyer have access to information I've used on the computer? Looks like it's just for hp diagnostics.

Do I need to do anything else before messing around with the partitions? I keep reading about hard drive wiping programs.

#20 ·
Ok. I have wiped my main partition with all 0s and left the system and hp recovery ones alone. After work I'm going to start the clean install of windows 10. I deleted the partition that the os was on and that I wiped and am going to install Windows on that same one which is now allocated space. Is that right? Should I do more before installing windows and selling the computer?

#21 ·
Not to make you paranoid, but a buyer could still go to a computer lab and at a high price recover some data. A normal buyer will just start using the computer as expected and you have nothing to worry about.

#22 ·
I'm selling it local so more than likely it will be used for homework or something like that by a young kid. I am not concerned about that. If someone wants my identity that bad they would have it already. Lol. I used it mainly for pictures, online shopping, and some school/work related work.

I did have a lot of passwords on it which is my main concern. I'm fairly confident wiping the main partition and deleting it got rid of that stuff. Maybe I can format it too before I install Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.