I'm trying to remove McAfee from my computer, and I just can't succeed.
I do not remember how I got McAfee on the computer to begin with. I think that Gateway put it on there with a 3-month trial period when I got it new in January, 2007. When the 3 months was up, I tried reinstalling the free version that AOL offers with their service. I think even back then, I got messages about the firewall not working, but I haven't gotten any messages about the Virus Scan and Privacy Service until last week. I'm VERY concerned that I do not have Virus Protection on my computer, and I can't get protect my computer unless I can remove McAfee successfully!
I know shortly after I got my computer, I had help setting myself up as an administrator, so that I could tranfer the data I had on my old computer (which kept freezing up way too often) to the new computer. Is it possible that the administrator setup could have something to do with getting the "error obtaining permissions for Cleanup"?
What I've tried so far:
1) I've tried working with the AOL Tech Support and have spent many hours and many calls - they have me do the same things over and over and they say that they send out reports to the McAfee Engineers, but I never hear back from anyone, and they never get beyond the most obvious things to try.
2) I've tried removing McAfee through the add/remove under Control Panel several times - that doesn't work.
3) When I use the MCPR.exe (Mcafee Cleanup), I get the message "error obtaining permissions for cleanup
". I have the log from the cleanup and have googled to look for what the error messages in the log are, but I don't know what to do with those messages, and trying anything I've read about sounds like I'd be likely to mess things up even more.
4) I've deleted some agent file I've read about from the McAfee folder, but it comes back again when I try to reinstall.
5) I've gone into regedit and looked for any McAfee services and have disabled the 3 I found through Properties.
Each time I do something like this (because I've googled looking for possible solutions), I reboot and try to reinstall, and I still get the same messages that Personal Firewall, Privacy Service and Virus Scan did not completely install.
I'm SO frustrated :-(
If anyone would PLEASE HELP me successfully remove McAfee, I'd be ever so grateful!!!