Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

MSE, Malware bytes and Superantispyware problems

This is a discussion on MSE, Malware bytes and Superantispyware problems within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My youngest sons computer is a Dell, with windows XP, all of a sudden nothing will run except CCleaner, MSE

Old 09-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #1
Automotive Team

My youngest sons computer is a Dell, with windows XP, all of a sudden nothing will run except CCleaner, MSE doesn't run, it says its stopped and no button will work, Malwarebytes just stopped, superantispyware doesn't even come on and now malwarebutes is the same all I get with either of those two when I click the icon is an error about not having permissions, I've uninstalled and reinstalled all three, and still nothing, does this sound like somebody has messed with the thing? or did him or one of his friends screw the whole O/S up to the point I need to reload again?

Hampton Roads Virginia, I've been around the rock three times and this place was NOT on my top ten list of places to live
wolfen1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:02 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

It sounds like the computer is infected, security programs not running and permission errors are symptoms of a rootkit currently going around.

It might be easier to reinstall, but we can take a look at it if you want to try removal. You should be able to verify the infection by checking for any strange processes that are running on the machine.

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

Old 09-24-2011, 05:13 AM   #3
Automotive Team

I tried eh uninstall and reinstall bit last night after my last post ion here, I even did complete system restore, all I managed to do was revert the computer, it still does the same thing. If it has an infection that means all those years I raved on here about NOD 32 I was wrong. the way the web browser is working it acts like its infected, but if it keeps up like this I'm gonna totally slick the hard drive ans reload it again. Either that or remove it form his room completely, my oldest sons computer is running fine and its a Machine T1100, and all thats ever been done to that one is the power supple and the hard drive when they died of old age, my youngest son has a bad habbit of totally corrupting electronic stuff by letting his " friends' in other states fix it for him over the internet.

Hampton Roads Virginia, I've been around the rock three times and this place was NOT on my top ten list of places to live
Old 09-24-2011, 05:35 AM   #4
Moderator Offline

Nod 32 is good, but not everything is a virus.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 06:12 AM   #5
Automotive Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basementgeek View Post
Nod 32 is good, but not everything is a virus.

BG
Ain't that the truth, I read his logs, theres entries from facebook, myspace, his friends stupid games they play on the computer, and three instances of remote assistance being urned on. So i think I may have found the problem, I do NOT turn on remote assistance under ANY conditions, unless its one of the admin's on here and I am right in front of eh computer. I'm starting to think one of these little kiddies took over his computer and he just sat there watching tv while they did whatever they wanted and totaled his O/S, simply because theres no reason in the world why any program I got linked to from here should fail to run unless it has been modified by a third person
Let me find out somebody other than me has been modifying files and I will have a 2 gig Dell frankenstien with windows XP SP3 and a flat LCD screen monitor with a web cam for sale.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:26 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Reloading is probably the best bet, if it's malware then it will be quickest in this case to reformat - and if it's not then someone has messed up settings on the OS to a huge extent and it would still be quicker to reload.

Nod32 is an excellent program, but malware updates constantly and it's always a fight to keep up. The specific rootkit I was thinking off is designed to prevent security programs from working correctly, and will also cause permission errors when trying to run security programs. If you were curious to find out what the problem was, then look in the running processes to see if there is a randomly named numerical process.

Either way, it will be quicker to reformat - especially if there is no infection as then the OS is a total mess.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:05 AM   #7
Moderator Offline

I agree if you have all the disks. However it being a Dell, it may have a restore partition that would take it back to just like the day it was bought, meaning you loose every thing you have stored on it.

That is worth a shot.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Basementgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
Automotive Team

First I am sorry I typed Dell, its NOT a Dell its a Gateway 500s..........apology's for the mistake on my end.

I have totally reloaded the computer and am updating it now, I have the graphics driver installed and the screen is fixed, but I tried installing Gateways sound driver and I get a mixer error.
once i get everything updated and fixed all the TSF recommended software is going back on it and he has been informed that NOTHING gets installed or removed unless I do it.

The sound mixer problem is a new one to me. I never had this problem before on this commuter since it uses the on board sound.