Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

Is reimage safe?

This is a discussion on Is reimage safe? within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Just found this program, and I'm wondering if it's safe. h tt p://www.reimage.com/lp/nhome/index.php?tracking=gasearch&banner=Brands_US&adgroup=reimage_repair&ads_name=T2r&keyword=reimage Or if it's just another scam like

Old 06-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
Registered Member

Just found this program, and I'm wondering if it's safe.

http://www.reimage.com/lp/nhome/index.php?tracking=gasearch&banner=Brands_US&adgroup=reimage_repair&ads_name=T2r&keyword=reimage

Or if it's just another scam like the mycleanpc.com

Old 06-18-2011, 07:18 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

If it sounds too good to be true...

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
JMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #3
Registered Member

OS: microsoft windows xp professional service pack 3,windows 7 ultimate 32bit

My System

I tried clicking it but web of trust and nod32 blocked the website so I couldnt see it.Probably a scam if antiviruses pick it up
Old 06-18-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Registered Member

Ah, figured. Thanks for the help anyways.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
Team Manager, Articles
Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

My System

Seems to be legit - I can access their site just fine - no warnings. They do have a McAfee Secure and Truste logos (which may not mean much).

This page claims a great deal for the product

Reimage | How it Work

But I've never heard of it - they claim it was used for technicians only.

PC Safety & Security::PC running a bit slow?::Photographers Corner
Glaswegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Personally, I wouldn't touch it. There are few programs I would trust to make widespread registry changes, they are also quite vague on what it actually does and how it works.

If I'm being told my PC has system instability, I would like to know specifically what's wrong, rather than the vague description "Windows needs repairing".

WOT Scorecard
Virus Total Scan
WOT Forum Discussion.

Whether it's legit or malicious or not seems to be debatable. The scanner itself doesn't seem to come with any malware, although there are a few things in the license agreement that I dislike:

Quote:
You further authorize Reimage to make and store back-up copies of your Inventory Description File
Quote:
If we have informed you that your trial account will automatically be converted to a paid subscription for a one-time or recurring fee, then you must cancel your account to avoid charges. If you do not cancel your account, then you authorize us to charge your payment method for the subscription fees applicable to the type of subscription that you selected at registration.
Quote:
Content, goods or services may be offered by third parties through hotlinks or advertisements contained on our Service. We have no control over and do not endorse third party content, goods or services. We act as a distributor and not as a re-publisher of third party content and as an advertising channel for third party goods and services
----------------------

Upon running a scan, the program did provide me with accurate and useful information about my system. It also compared my system specs with average specs (which it claims were worldwide averages).

The problem comes when it reaches the PC Stability stage. I was told upon running the scan, that virtually all of my programs have crashed at some point, and that this is "repairable in most cases".

The only problem here, was several of the programs listed are not actually installed on my computer. A couple were programs previously installed, and at least one program on the list has never been installed at all.

Apparently my PC has 74% Stability. - I keep my computer in good shape, and regularly maintain this.

In my opinion, this program is not necessary, and will exaggerate your computer problems in order for you to buy the product. It doesn't appear to distribute any malware, but I would consider it a questionable product.

If you are experiencing problems, there are much better ways of dealing with them.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Oh great now an online "Registry Mangler"!!!! What is next?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Rich-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:09 AM   #8
Team Manager, Articles
Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by someguy201 View Post
Personally, I wouldn't touch it.
Nether would I - anything that wants to 'clean' the Registry is just a waste of time and could cause more damage than good.

PC Safety & Security::PC running a bit slow?::Photographers Corner
Glaswegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

I never saw anything that suggested it had a standard registry "cleaning" function, but it does attempt to repair "corrupt registry" files and entries by replacing them with files in their database. Any program that attempts to make widespread changes to the registry can cause a lot of damage.

I did run the scan to have a look, but I didn't trust the program enough to let it fix anything.

I've never been a fan of All-in-one type programs, they over simplify errors and can cause a lot of damage with generic fixes. There are much better ways of maintaining your computer, without downloading extra programs that can potentially cause damage.