Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

I might have a virus/trojan/spyware.. Need help, please

This is a discussion on I might have a virus/trojan/spyware.. Need help, please within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello Techsupport I am new around here and I need guidance to solve an older Windows-Mystery of mine. I didn't

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello Techsupport

I am new around here and I need guidance to solve an older Windows-Mystery of mine. I didn't posted in the "virus/trojan/spyware help" in the first place because I'm not sure if my system is infected or not, and I don't want to disturb the hard-working-experts with a false alarm so I hope I can find an answer here after I explain my problem... and then I'll go to the other board for help.

So... I have a Samsung laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1. Last autumn, I think it was the end of October, I got an USB flash drive from a buddy and unlucky for me, there were some serious trouble on that device. Back then I was using Norton Internet Security 2011 and all the autoruns malware-stuff were busted, or at least this is what NIS said that time.

In January, I did some serious checking with various anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-malware/anti-trojan software including Norton IS, Comodo IS, Comodo Cleaning Essentials, Microsoft Security Essentials (even Windows Defender), Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Emsisoft Anti-Malware, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot S&D, HitmanPro, BitDefender, ESET Smart Security, Microsoft Safety Scanner, Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, Kaspersky Anti-virus 2012, Ad-Aware and... I can't remember if there is anything else. The thing is... Some of them like MBAM, Emsisoft, Hitman, Comodo and Kaspersky found more ugly files so I deleted all of them.

For a while I was relieved, thinking that my system is safe. Now I find out about this new "rootkit" type of malware and start googling over and over to find some useful information. This is how I got here too...

I followed the tips on this thread and... I think I might have some left-overs or worst.

1. I can't run GMER! Searched on google and found out that this app doesn't run on 64-bit systems and I have a Win7 64-bit version... What alternative do I have?

1.5 As I was searching for the GMER problem with 64bit systems I found a thread were some guys were saying that 64-bit Operating Systems are much harder to infect with rootkit and the changes for this to happen are very low. Is this true?

2. DDS worked but I don't understand much of the log... Is there a guide or smth like "How to read a DDS log for dummies" ?

3. I use the Sysinternals Suite and there is a RootkitRevealer in there which I haven't tried until today... It didn't start. Seems it's a XP/Server '03 compatible only. Is there any W7 64bit version?

4. I saw some other apps on the GMER site and tried catchme and mbr to see if they find something. MBR was getting errors like...
Code:
user: error reading MBR 
error: Read  The handle is invalid.
kernel: error reading MBR
and catchme found some "NTDLL code modification" like...
Code:
ZwEnumerateKey 0 != 47, 
ZwQueryKey 0 != 19, 
ZwOpenKey 0 != 15
and other stuff like those Zw-things. Why doesn't the MBR work? On a board someone was saying that "NTDLL code modification" is a evidence of a trojan, is this true?

I must mention that I had used TuneUp Utilities, don't why I mention this but it may probably have a connection with those NTDLL?

Now I have Kaspersky Anti-virus 2012 and Comodo Firewall (with Defense+).

Can someone help me out with this, please?

Thanks!
alex2919

Old 03-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Hi alex2919,

We don't provide malware removal advice in this section, I appreciate you're not sure whether you're infected, but we're unable to advise until we see proper logs. Please re-read the thread below, and follow the instructions carefully. GMER is not compatible with 64bit systems, and there is no need for you to run it.

64 Bit systems can still be infected with current rootkits out there, but are usually infected in a different way to 32 bit systems.

For malware removal assistance....

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

After running through all the steps, please post the requested logs in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum, not here.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you for your guiding in solving my problem.
I'll post my logs in the proper forums.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Moderator Offline

Hi:

Since you have posted in our Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum, this topic is closed now.

BG

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Closed Thread