Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

How to solve a hidden IP block?

This is a discussion on How to solve a hidden IP block? within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am uncertain if this is the right board for my question so please excuse if it wasn't. Hard to

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 07:23 AM   #1
Registered Member

I am uncertain if this is the right board for my question so please excuse if it wasn't. Hard to find the correct spot since I am unsure as to what the error is with my issue.

Anyway, my problem is that I got somewhere in my Win XP setup a block for only one specific IP address. I can access any other IP using tracert but not this one. The problem is a real problem considering that the IP I am trying to access is also my own webserver on the same local network and the rest of the world is able to access it freely.
I've ran logs up and down without any success. The only thing I do notice is that my Connection icon (the one with two overlapping computer screens) shows that an attempt of outgoing traffic is done. However, my Sygate FW shows no attempts at all and all.
This means that my computer initiates the traffic but it never gets any further than that.

This problem just started 2 days ago and before that I never had such problems. No new software were installed and I am using an up to date AV.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:25 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Could be a hosts file hijacker. Could be a DNS hacker. Could be lots of things.
Lets take a look.

HijackThis instructions (~157kB)
  • Download HiJackThis v1.98.2 (written by Merijn Bellekom) from
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html
    Save HijackThis.exe into its own permanent directory, NOT in a TEMPorary folder or on the DESKTOP. Temporary folders get cleaned out periodically and are often destinations for viruses and spyware. So you don't want it there. If you place HJT on the Desktop, then all of your logs and backups will get spread out over the desktop. That is not efficient. For simplicity, I recommend c:/program files/HJT/
    Important: Close all windows/programs, internet connections and especially internet browsers before scanning and fixing with HJT.
  • Doubleclick HijackThis.exe. Config | Misc Tools | Check for update online, save into your permanent directory. If you find a new version, then close HJT. Unzip into permanent directory. Replace file=Yes.
  • Doubleclick HijackThis.exe. Press the <Scan> button
    DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET!! Most of the entries found in a HiJackThis scan are programs/files which are REQUIRED for your computer to operate normally.
  • Press the <Save Log> button and save into your HJT folder. Change the file name to HJT 9-22-04a.log or some similar dating nomenclature so you can identify each log
  • The log should automatically open in Notepad. If not, open the log file from any text editor (Notepad, MS Word, Word Perfect, etc)
  • Copy/paste the results here in this forum and let an expert evaluate it for you.
  • Close HiJackThis//

Ich kann auf Deutsch helfen.
Mach ein' post und PM mich. Peebs85 kann auch Deutsch.

If I help you, please donate to upgrade our outgrown server. I will donate my time to helping you for free, but the server is not free. Please send donations to Jason Connors (TSF owner), 4410 Grandwood Lane, New Port Richey, FL 34653. Even if its only a dollar. Thank you.
Closed Thread