Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard Disk Security error message

5K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
acer aspire 5732z
This machine has been dropped on its screen and smashed the glass. Apart from that, it starts and this window comes up, titled

"Hard disk Security" which has the message

" primary master wdc wd5000bevt-22aorlock"
NB I am running an external screen
What does this message mean? I have never seen this before.
Google was ambiguous , is the hdd locked or the bios locked or is the hdd locked via the bios, or what???
This laptop was given to me to see if I could reuse it as it was still live.
Lastly is this thread in the correct section?

#4 ·
Apologies for doubting you but it does happen.

I got a few results from google this time by changing the nought to a zero after 22A.

It does appear to me that the drive has been locked and is possibly password protected. Is it possible the person who gave it would know the password?

Can you access the bios?

I'll see if I can get the hardware team to take a look but I have a feeling the forum rules will prevent us helping with this issue.

#5 ·
update. Swapped the hard drive out , nogo on the first drive due to a corrupt boot file.
The second hard drive booted up text book perfect.
I tried to go into boot order(on the acer), but ran into what appears to be a pass word locked bios
As for the original hard drive that started all this ,I am going to put it into another laptop and try to reinstall the OS. I was going to do a reinstall any way to ensure the previous owners privacy.
Update on reinstall to follow.

#6 ·
You cannot install an OS on a computer that is different then the computer it is going to go into. You can only do this if both computers are exactly the same (eg) same motherboard and chipset. When Windows install, it takes a snap shot of the motherboard, chipset etc and loads drivers specifically for that hardware. If you remove that HDD and put it into a different computer, when booting it will look for the other hardware and not find it and BSOD.
Th fall may have triggered a Bios Password for some reason, on the broken computer. With the broken screen and the Bios password, it may not be financially beneficial to fix this computer.

#7 ·
When I get a reusable computer I load a linux OS then reload the original OS if I have the key. This wipes any data of the previous owner.
I have been unable to contact the previous owner to get the password so to deal with locked hard drive, put it into another computer and loaded a linux OS .
So far I have had 3 failures. There is an error coming up at the partition stage ,and to get past I am not putting in the swap partition. This means the entire drive is one partition. Standard partition layout is primary partition and swap partition. The install then goes to the next stage and black screens . You can hear the dvd spin down and stop. Restarting brings up the mesage" no operating system found"
The install should proceed with the default background and then open the dvd tray and you remove the disk and click restart which then takes you to the OS you just loaded.Instead, nothing, just a black screen and no OS.
The linux disk is known good.
Next step is to try a vista disk (native to computer).

#8 ·
A Bios password is in the Bios of the motherboard, no matter what OS you install the password will still be there. Again if you load Linux on a different computer it will have the same results. Without the Bios password, you cannot make changes to the HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.