Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

facebook entries removed from hosts

This is a discussion on facebook entries removed from hosts within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. As a simple way to prevent house guests from using facebook on my computers, I've added a bunch of urls

Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

As a simple way to prevent house guests from using facebook on my computers, I've added a bunch of urls to my hosts files. However, two entries are consistently removed from the hosts file without my knowledge or intervention.
127.0.0.1 facebook.com
127.0.0.1 ww w.facebook.com

How is it possible that these two entries are removed from my hosts file? I have a pretty new Windows install along with eset nod32 and a firewall.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	facebook-hosts.png
Views:	40
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	102454  

Old 03-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Registered Member

Red Faced

I have the exact same problem. I am the IT guy at our school. The kids are getting to Facebook using https in the URL. I can't block that easily so I am now blocking them by adding 127.0.0.1 www. facebook. com and 127.0.0.1 facebook.com to the hosts file. This works for only a very short time because I later find the facebook entries in the hosts file have been removed!

I countered by making me, the admin, the owner, going into the hosts file permissions and making the hosts file a read only file. Guess what? The first time I test it, Facebook is blocked. A day later, the facebook entries are always gone.

I even went into the correct DOS 'etc' sub-directory and did an ATTRIB hosts +R to make it read only for everyone including me. ATTRIB *.* showed an R placed on the file 'hosts'. Guess what? It blocks me when I test it, but a day later, Facebook. com and www. facebook. com are removed!

I'm stymied. Any help would be appreciated. I gotta block these kids! ! ! !

Old 03-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

Welcome!!

Sounds like they are removing the entries THEMSELVES!!!

Possible to block FB at the ROUTER WHERE THEY CANT GET TO??? (Just set a perm rule to block access to that IP (69.63.187.19))

Facebook is NO GOOD,a spying operation............

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 03-26-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I would agree that the only good reason the entries are being removed is somebody knows about HOSTS and is editing it themselves.

I would also agree that blocking the site more directly is a better solution. Block it from a firewall.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epshatto View Post
I would agree that the only good reason the entries are being removed is somebody knows about HOSTS and is editing it themselves.
Not with me. I have my own PC that only I use for days/weeks at a time. Two specific entries in the HOSTS file are routinely and systematically removed. I did extensive testing with malware removal programs and there doesn't appear to be any malicious software present.

It's not really important to me that www.facebook is removed from HOSTS, but I would sure like an explanation as to why this happens.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:56 AM   #6
Registered Member

Maybe the browser is auto resetting the file???

Try making it READ ONLY and see if it happens then,IF IT DOES,you know whats going on!

Right click and choose PROPERTIES and check "READ ONLY" that will stop any AUTO RESETTING of this file...... (It wont stop manual editing though)

Good luck!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:59 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I'm pretty sure the only explanation is that somebody is taking it out, unless you think there's a zero-day exploit out there which is searching for facebook entries in a local HOSTS file and removing them, which would do nothing other than...let you look at facebook. Kind of a weird malware behavior don't you think?

I guess you can either believe the simplest and most logical explanation or not...your choice.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:59 AM   #8
Registered Member

It is all very strange. I'm talking about my home computer - my 7 year old daughter has no idea what a HOSTS file is, nor does my wife. So these entries are definitely not being removed manually. I've experienced the entries being removed automagically while working at my PC. I would remove them, do stuff on the PC for a while, and check later and two entries would be gone.

I've also gone through extensive malware testing, as shown here.

As well, I first noticed this after a fairly new windows 7 install. I'm not dealing with a couple of years worth of backlogged files and programs.

I think later today I'll check out my laptop.
My suspicion is that this problem would be a lot more common except that almost no one would bother or want to put www.facebook in their HOSTS file.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Moderator Offline

Hi:

You are receiving good help at Bleeping, so stay with them for at least the time being. No sense having 2 different forums trying to work on the same problem at the same time.

You may have a program on you PC thats is preventing your changes from holding.

I myself would try booting in the safe mode, make your changes, then boot in the normal mode and see if they hold.

This post for the time being at least.

BG

ASAP member since 2006

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Closed Thread