Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

Facebook account virus? Virus worries.

This is a discussion on Facebook account virus? Virus worries. within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey there. Am just wondering whether a Facebook account can become infected? Basically, I had Facebook open, and was looking

Old 03-17-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey there. Am just wondering whether a Facebook account can become infected?

Basically, I had Facebook open, and was looking through Google images, and one of those spam pop up things appeared after I had clicked on an image, saying something along the lines of; "Your computer has a virus, click okay to perform a free virus scan". Now, I know they're a load of rubbish, so I x'd off the popup, and a new window appeared which was supposedly 'scanning' my computer. I quit that asap. Loaded up avast and the built-in Windows spyware remover and started scanning everything.

Now, am I able to login to Facebook on another laptop/device? I mean, my actual account can't become infected, can it? I don't want anything else to become infected. How about devices that already have me signed in on Facebook, such as my iPod, and my Android phone... my actual account is still clean, right?

... am just a bit peeved I have to do another scan. I regularly scan my laptop for viruses using said programs... and I'd just done one not two hours before the popup appeared. :/

Anyway... if someone can help, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
- Microsoft Support

The account could become compromised but not infected in the sense of a virus. Google images are frequently used to infect systems or to con people into clicking on fake malware alerts.

I would suggest you evaluate all the software on your machine to be sure it's up to date. Not just Windows, everything.

If you're using internet explorer you may want to consider switching to something that can block scripts, flash and ads.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
JMPC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Malware can spread over facebook, however this is usually through spam links that link to executables, or through malicious apps.

The account itself should be fine, simply delete any suspicious apps, such as randomly named ones, or any you don't need. If you have only had one popup appear, it was probably related to the site you were on, or app you were using.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply.

As I said, am running scans on my laptop now, so I'll see if anything comes up. So it could become compromised in the sense of people sending out spam to my other friends.... but am still able to use the account on another system?

Nah, am using Chrome with adblock on.... it's usually alright... it's just recently I've noticed since google updated their image search, it seems to be a lot less safe viewing images.
Old 03-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support

If the account were compromised someone could have control over it and send out spam or lock you out of the account. Using the account from another machine would be fine but if you suspected the account was compromised I would change the password from a known clean machine.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
JMPC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

A Facebook account can become compromised in two ways as far as I am aware:

A hacker may gain access to your account, and are able to log into your own account and do any of the actions you would be able to do whilst logged in. They might then try to scam you or your friends, or try to commit identity fraud.

Or, a malicious application may get installed. This consequently might send out spam to your friends, often to try and spread malware, or gain access to your, and others information.

Neither of these would infect your computer directly, although a malicious app may try to get you to download an exe file to your computer - which would then infect your computer. However, if your FB Password is compromised, this could come from malware already on your computer.

Either situation wouldn't infect other devices you logged into, unless you downloaded any files that an infected/malicious app tried to get you to download.

If you have only experienced one popup, you are probably not infected with anything, but I would still check your FB account for any apps you have recently added, and your programs list for anything you didn't install.

You might want to look at getting Web of Trust to help avoid malicious websites on Google. Using Google can often put you into contact with malicious websites, so I've always found WOT a good tool to use myself.

If your scans come up with anything, or you notice any symptoms of infection on your computer, post up a set of logs in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help section.