Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

email address hi-jack

This is a discussion on email address hi-jack within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have been receiving junk emails, concerning job vacancies, from myself (ie from my identical email address). Is there any

Old 01-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have been receiving junk emails, concerning job vacancies, from myself (ie from my identical email address).

Is there any way I can put a stop to this without changing my address which is used by many contacts, both personal and business?

Old 01-19-2012, 05:40 AM   #2
Registered Member

If the address is identical, then probably someone got access to your account.

You should check your computer for spyware with a tool like SuperAntiSpyware and then, after it is secure, change the mail account's password and security questions.

Old 01-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #3
Registered Member

• Look at the 'person's' name. When looking at your mail, look closely at the person or robot's 'name'. Most spam is named with a first name and a last name, i.e. Morgan Freeman, Taylor McJessie. Do you recognize the name? If not, it's probably spam. Remember that most message users use nicknames.
  • Look at the time it was sent. Most spam is sent between midnight and 4:00am.
  • Look at the file size. Almost all spam will be 3KB. Most spam will contain a small sentence like "Hey, I'm Victoria, wanna date," and include a link to a webpage. At the end of the link, will be a mix of random letters. Do not click the link.
  • If you've done the above three things and still aren't sure, click on the message. Clicking on the message will not harm anything, but if there's a link, do not click it!

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] my internet keep getting disconnecting connecting
Hi.I'm new on this forum.I got problem with my internet connection.It keeps dropping then connecting by itself.I cant download anything because in the middle it just drops.My connection is wireless and is cable.My other housemates who have laptops like me have no problem with connection.I took my...
jumrose123 Networking Support 52 03-21-2014 05:18 PM
[SOLVED] network connections list empty
Hello, I was on xp forum for a while because of a bad virus problem. Lucky enough, with some help I got my .exe fixed so I can now open most of the programs. Im not sure how to describe this, but I had Windows antivirus pro in the computer and I think I've removed it but it caused multiple issues....
silvijamck Resolved HJT Threads 62 07-06-2011 01:04 PM
For Ried
Hi there is a attachment ark.zip with 'dds' and 'ark'. . DDS (Ver_11-05-19.01) - NTFSx86 Internet Explorer: 8.0.6001.18702 BrowserJavaVersion: 1.6.0_13 Run by Owner at 22:01:08 on 2011-05-29 Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600.3.1252.1.1033.18.959.243 . AV: McAfee Anti-Virus and...
Nela09 Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 78 06-09-2011 07:32 PM
google redirect!
Hi there, I'm having problems with a virus/spyware that is apparently causing google results to redirect to something unrelated when clicked on. A quick search tells me this is somewhat common. As is these other cases, none of my four antivirus/malware/spyware programs are detecting it. What...
jimmybean Resolved HJT Threads 22 02-22-2011 06:28 AM
virus infection
i'm dealing with a computer that has been infected with the "your computer has been infected, click here to download antivirus softward" popup virus. is there any way at all i can deal with this without wiping the hard drive and installing the os all over again? the virus doesn't allow any...
jillocity Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help 4 01-04-2011 09:48 AM