Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

coupon printers

This is a discussion on coupon printers within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. is it smart and safe to download coupon printer software on the computer?

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
Registered Member

is it smart and safe to download coupon printer software on the computer?

Old 09-06-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
Registered Member

Maybe and maybe not. That's not much to go on, really. If they are telling you that you HAVE to install the program to print some kind of coupon, then I would be suspicious, since you really don't need to.

I've seen one out there that claims it is the only way to make a machine-readable bar code, but that is a lie. I print out machine-readable barcodes all day long from Word, of all things, LOL!

Someone sent me a coupon printer exe file one time and I decided to run it on one of my Virtual Machines, and when I went to install it, it told me that it does not allow itself to be installed on a virtual machine. HUGE red flag!!! About the ONLY things that do checks for VM before installing are malware apps...

Personally, the last time I ran into this, I sent an email to the company and told them that I refuse to install any untrusted 3rd party program on my machine just to print a coupon. The coupon was for $1.00 off their product. A week letter I got a letter of apology from the company, indicating they have received many complaints about that and apologize for any inconvenience, are looking into it, blah blah blah, AND they included a nice shiny FREE coupon for their product! :)

So instead of saving a dollar and doing who knows what to my machine, I wound up saving almost 9 dollars by getting the item for free :) That's my advice!