Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Security Center > General Computer Security

AVG taking too long to scan?

This is a discussion on AVG taking too long to scan? within the General Computer Security forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello Sorry for making a general sort of post, I hope someone can find the time to put in a

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

Hello
Sorry for making a general sort of post, I hope someone can find the time to put in a reply.I am running AVG antivirus (the free version) on a P4-2.4Ghz, 1.5GB memory, 40 GB HDD machine with Windows XP(SP2) and Ubuntu 7.10 dual boot (with Windows having 20 GB for itself).Am running AVG on the 'scan all files' setting and a complete system scan takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes or thereabouts. There is only about 11 Gb of data (139367 files scanned, AVG said). My question is, is my antivirus taking too long a time to scan the system or is it an acceptable time frame? Should I just set AVG to 'scan only infectible files' ? Thank you for your patience in reading this through.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #2
Security Team
Moderator, Analyst
Rangemaster, TSF Academy

Hi corsair and welcome to TSF.

That doesn't sound like an awful amount of time to me. Cleaning your temp files prior to scanning may reduce the scanning time a little bit. The following software is quite good in cleaning temp files on a regular basis:

Download ATF Cleaner by Atribune and save it to your Desktop.
Double click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
Check the boxes to the left of:

Windows Temp
Current User Temp
All Users Temp
Temporary Internet Files
Prefetch
Java Cache

The rest are optional - if you want to remove the lot, check "Select All".

Finally click Empty Selected. When you get the "Done Cleaning" message, click OK.

If you use the Firefox or Opera browsers, you can use this program as a quick way to tidy those up as well.

Firefox :
Click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

Opera :
Click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
Click the Empty Selected button.
NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.

When you have finished, click on the Exit button in the Main menu.

For Technical Support, double-click the e-mail address located at the bottom of each menu

Hope this helps.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
Team Manager
Articles Team

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to chauffeur2

G'Day corsair,

Adding to the excellent advice amateur has given, I would like to offer my 10¢ worth, as I am a Beta Tester for Grisoft® (the makers of AVG™), and also have their product.
AVG™ will take that amount of time (sometimes more), depending on the detail of the scan you have requested it to do.
I have AVG™ Internet Security Suite 7.5 (The Professional paid Version) on my machine, which has a 80GB HDD partitioned into about two 40GB Drives.
The scanning time is usually 1 Hour 34 Minutes for a full system scan and about 56 Minutes just for my C: partition, (36% used). The D: partition is 32% used.
Personally I would not be too worried about the length of time it takes, just so long as it does the job for you.

Kind Regards,

If it works, Don't fix it!
Especially if Microsoft made it!
Old 02-02-2008, 11:25 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Hi
Thank you for the kind replies :).
amateur: sir, ty for the welcome :) I will get ATF cleaner and see how I go.Tyvm
chauffeur2 : yes sir, I'll just leave AVG be and let it do its work and not worry about the time taken.Tyvm for replying
Old 02-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
I helped the forums.

Asking a question from AVG is kind of a bit of a pain in....... so as you posted re time - I use flash drives all the time - I'm used to Norton where I could scan a new anything before I opened it --- on my new lap top, when I pop in a flash drive it opens automatically so I wonder if AVG is scanning the flash drive or not?? Thanks in advance, M